New guy here needing some help

AssM0nk3y

Seed
Reaction score
Hello everyone who may be reading this. I'm new to bonsai and have really no idea what I'm doing. I have been doing research online and have watched about 100 videos regarding the care and techniques for caring for a bonsai tree. I'm still left with all kinds of questions so instead of overloading google I decided to join a forum to help in my search for knowledge of bonsai.

A little back story of how I acquired my first bonsai tree. I have a friend that is always giving and thinking of everyone but herself. In her daily life she goes out of her way to help others. One of the ways she does this is to purchase a gift for a friend that is down on their luck, sick, or not being what she calls 100%. There is something about receiving an unexpected gift that release endorphins that make us feel better she always uses as an excuse to give a gift to someone. Anyway last August (8-1-14) I was not doing well after I called off my wedding. Short story ex ran back to her baby daddy. During one of her visits the subject of bonsai trees came up. I mentioned how I thought they were really cool and would like to buy one some day. Well two days later she showed up with a bonsai tree. The only thing she told me was she bought it from an old Asian man that was selling them in a parking lot on her way to work. Oh and that she thinks he said it was 10 or 15 years old.

I have had this tree for a year now and have done nothing but water it and added the fertilizer that came with it. I have never tried to grow anything so im a little scared I might kill it if I try something im not sure about. Anyway if I haven't bored you to death yet here are some questions I have
  1. What kind of bonsai is this? I have looked up different kind but I haven't seen any like this.
  2. Should I be trimming at this stage? It looks like its growing wild to me.
  3. Is the white and brown stuff going to hurt my tree? I looks like mold to me but I'm not sure.
  4. Why is only a few branches growing and the rest of the tree looks like it dying?
Any and all help is much appreciated. Once I know for sure what kind this is I can look up the proper care for it. Mostly it will be inside with a grow light since I live in the city and don't really have a safe place outside to put it. I have been moving it outside on nice days if I manage to get home from work while the sun is still out.
image1.jpg

image2.jpg

image3.jpg
image4.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It is a juniper, specifically Juniperous procumbens nana. It is typical of what we call "mallsai", that re sold in malls or roadside stands to inexperienced purchasers.

The good news is that it looks healthy right now.
The bad news is that it isnt 10-15 years old, more like 3-4 years old.

It needs to be outside in the sun. It is not an indoor plant despite any labels or what you or your friend may have been told.

It is still a very small tree. You dont need to do anything now. You do need to decide if you want it to stay small or get much bigger. Either way, you have time.

I suggest you do alot of reading, here and elsewhere to start learning about bonsai. Ask specific questions if you cant find an answer to something.

Please put your location on youre profile so we dont have to keep asking.

Welcome to the forums and the journey.

AssM0nk3y

Seed
Reaction score
Thank you for the information. Its much appreciated. That's perfectly fine with me that its on 3-4 years old. Maybe I miss understood what I had read but I'm sure it said juniper leaves were scale like. I assumed it was some kind of spruce since it has needle like leaves. Would a grow light be OK to use since i do not have a place outside i can keep it safe? I would like for it to get much bigger. It seems to small and fragile at this size. I updated my location also. If you don't feel like looking I live in Indiana.

What about the white and brown stuff growing around the edges of the soil. Should I be worried about that?

Last edited:

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
As Paradox has said , very healthy looking tree. Let it rest for a while and then we can discuss itsbjourney. Good Luck!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In order for this plant to get bigger it will need to be put in either a larger bucket or planted in the ground. It should take from 10 years on up to reach a nice fat trunk diameter. And be outside the whole time. A grow light inside won't do it. The tree may hang on for a while but it will slowly decline.

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
You should probably think aboutvwhat you want to achieve. Being in this pot it will probably never be a great bonsai. as said it should be planted into ground if you want to have a great trunk, nebari etc.
But I think you can keep it in a pot and small. It's nice looking and it has a nice story to it. I'm not sure when these should be pruned. (??) You can prune it to get it into a shape you would like. Maybe even wire some bigger branches. It depends on where you want to go. Definintely keep it outside.
If you catch the bonsai fever you'll get more trees and plant those into ground and develop :)
First ones are always something special I think, and you are doing great, mine was dead within 3 weeks :D

Ps. I would also like to know the answer on question nr. 4 :)

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you catch the bonsai fever you'll get more trees and plant those into ground and develop :)
Or get bigger trees and cut them down into bonsai. It's what most do.

AssM0nk3y

Seed
Reaction score
Thank you all for this information. What I would like to achieve with this tree is to have the best looking bonsai anyone has ever seen. But realistically I just want to learn and have a nice looking bonsai I can say I helped create. As far as size and style I have no idea. Right now my main concern is to keep it alive and healthy. I guess the only thing for me to do to keep it out side is to get a large pot I can put on the edge of my porch that the neighborhood animals cant knock off. I am renting a house and I do not plan on staying here for 10 years so I want to avoid planting it in the ground.

I have been reading about wiring and pruning. From what I have gathered pruning can be done throughout the growth season with this type of bonsai.

Again thanks to everyone that has replied.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I rent also. I plant nothing in the ground. I have seedlings and small trees but they aren't for me. They are sold. I do have 6 nana procumbens that started out a little smaller and are in larger buckets for growing out. I will probably keep 2 for myself and sell the others. In like 10 or more years when they are at least 2 inches in diameter at the ground.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've just started bonsai for 2 years now and i have about 10 tree's in the backyard of my parents place :) growing and getting ready to get chopped by me :D

AssM0nk3y

Seed
Reaction score
Ok a bit of good news if anyone is still interested. I talk with the elderly lady next door and she said I could keep my bonsai with her plants outside. (they are in a fenced in area on the side of her house) She has close to 100 potted plants in a nice area the gets sun light for a good part of the day. She seemed excited about having my bonsai to show to her friends. It felt pretty nice passing on the information I have learned about bonsai. She said she always wanted on but heard they were difficult to take care of. Now she is going to her nursery tomorrow to see if they have any for sale. Oh and there are a few of the longer scale looking leaves sprouting now that I have been keeping it outside.

On another note I have a couple more questions.
  1. Should I go with a large pot to allow my bonsai to grow or should I only go up a pot size or two progressively?
  2. What is a good soil mix for allowing it to grow? (I have read several different types and mixes and am kind of confused as what to do)

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pot it up progressively. They can be in the same one for a long time. I have some growing out and they havent been repotted in 3 years. Maybe this year or next I'll do it.

Top Bottom