New Harry Harrington book

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just received an email regarding an upcoming book from Harry Harrington that will be published next month. Looks to be a pretty good book. If it has even a fraction of the information that is on his website, I'm sure it will come in very handy.

http://www.bonsai4me.com/bonsai-inspirations/BIIndex.html

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Betcha it IS the info on his website.

Harry

Seed
Reaction score
To the original poster, thanks for the plug, it's appreciated. As with the website, a lot of work has gone into this project, unfortunately it is so easy for someone to dismiss this offhandedly.

The book consists of 270 A4-sized pages, half of which ARE existing articles and progression series that have been rewritten, updated and new images inserted. Visitors to the website will have seen this material before but not in print.
The other half of the book, over 140 pages (the total size of some bonsai publications I have seen), is entirely new material. New articles and new progressions series put together and written specifically for the book.
Harry

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
To the original poster, thanks for the plug, it's appreciated. As with the website, a lot of work has gone into this project, unfortunately it is so easy for someone to dismiss this offhandedly.

The book consists of 270 A4-sized pages, half of which ARE existing articles and progression series that have been rewritten, updated and new images inserted. Visitors to the website will have seen this material before but not in print.
The other half of the book, over 140 pages (the total size of some bonsai publications I have seen), is entirely new material. New articles and new progressions series put together and written specifically for the book.
Harry

Thank you by the way for your site. It is one of the best and has been a source of much information to me over the years.

Harry

Seed
Reaction score
Thank you Clyde, appreciated mate ;-)

Harry, thanks for popping in to explain, feel free to stop back.

Cheers Bill, unfortunately I seem to have less time to visit the forums as each year passes, particularly since my daughter was born!!

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Cheers Bill, unfortunately I seem to have less time to visit the forums as each year passes, particularly since my daughter was born!!

I am 52 with a five year old, I do understand that. I am sure as things go your site must have it's own demands as well.

Harry

Seed
Reaction score
I am 52 with a five year old, I do understand that. I am sure as things go your site must have it's own demands as well.
It's a massive amount of work Bill, even when I'm not actively updating it! I dread to think how much time and money I've put into Bonsai4me over the years!

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Harry, from what I have seen in the forums around, I would say it is appeciated, at the very least.

Thanks

Stimmie1

Sapling
Reaction score
Harry,
I have been on your bonsai 4 me web site and its fantastic. I have a great number of varieties of Japenens Maples. You stated that you prune and wire in the Fall, how long do you keep your wire in place. I try to wire a week or two prior (as per Bjorn)to leaf swell in Feb here in Atlanta, GA. I have to keep a very close eye, the trees swell so fast and the wire bites if not careful. Sometimes the branches hold and sometimes they spring back.
Anyone else want to respond or give me tips, feel free to give me advice. Each year is different here in Atlanta.
Sincerely,
Jim Stimmel

Harry

Seed
Reaction score
Harry,
I have a great number of varieties of Japenens Maples. You stated that you prune and wire in the Fall, how long do you keep your wire in place. I try to wire a week or two prior (as per Bjorn)to leaf swell in Feb here in Atlanta, GA. I have to keep a very close eye, the trees swell so fast and the wire bites if not careful. Sometimes the branches hold and sometimes they spring back.,
Jim Stimmel

Thank you Jim ;-)
Wiring in Autumn has many advantages, not least because you can then enjoy them looking their best through the Winter months. I try to rewire all of my deciduous trees at this time of year and then by May (in the UK) the branches have set into position and can be removed.
On young Acer branches I wouldn't worry about the wire cutting in a little (note my stresses here :) ), the wire marks disappear very quickly and it avoids the irritation of removing wiring and the branch springing back. Note also that it is worth removing the wire from individual branches as they begin to mark rather than simply dewiring the whole tree at once; if a branch hasn't swelled sufficiently to begin to mark, it hasn't swelled enough to take it's new position either ;-)

Top Bottom