New Hawthorn Trunk!

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Hey folks.

I've just been given a nice little hawthorn trunk which I think will be ideal for a shohin tree. Trunk is about 2 1/2 - 3 inches think, about 10-12 inches tall.

There's a branch at the top which I can use as a leader and from where I can develop the top and crown of the tree!!

Apologies for the background but I think you can see clearly enough.

AndyDSC_0456.JPGDSC_0453.JPGDSC_0456.JPGDSC_0453.JPGDSC_0454.JPGDSC_0455.JPGDSC_0454.JPG

Last edited:

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks for the likes. I’d like to see about developing it as a broom so obviously need to get a lot of top growth. Any tips on how to get going with this on a hawthorn?

Thanks all.

Andy

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for the likes. I’d like to see about developing it as a broom so obviously need to get a lot of top growth. Any tips on how to get going with this on a hawthorn?

Thanks all.

Andy

to develop it as a broom you would need to remove all the side shoots and have at the very least, two branches emerging either side of the top.
i dont recommend this because you only have one shoot at the top.
fwiw the trees doesnt look very strong, i would just leave it to grow, feed it well and look at ideas over next season.

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks Bobby - makes sense. Would it be worth slip potting it into something a bit bigger now so it can grow its roots and hopefully grow more shoots next spring?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
unless the current pot is bursting with roots, i really dont see the point.

Top Bottom