New here and to bonsai, nice to meet you

Dux

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hi,

Im new here and just got my first bonsai, been reading around for years and watched about a million videos on youtube but finally got the courage to start my own collection :)
Born in the Netherlands, 26 years old and love music and nature. Since i was a kid i would get these crazy bonsai obsessions where i could read and watch videos about it couple hours a day for a couple weeks straight. Than i got distracted because i couldnt buy anything and stopped thinking about it for some time untill you get see something on your social media and start being obsessed again. I never had the money and discipline to start my own, but now i have my own place and some money and i've obsessed again for the last couple weeks... So i just got up and bought my first three bonsai 🥰

Let me introduce you to my three new beautiful tree's....

A Japanese White Pine (JWP)
WhatsApp Image 2022-07-11 at 8.38.52 AM.jpeg

Ilex Crenata:
WhatsApp Image 2022-07-11 at 8.38.54 AM.jpeg

And last but not least, my Metaseqouia Forest:
WhatsApp Image 2022-07-11 at 8.38.56 AM.jpeg

I already have a lot of questions for each tree in my head so i hope to get to know new people here and learn a lot about these bonsai.

If you're reading this i hope u have a nice day.

- Dux

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Add your Usda zone to your profile or people will pester you forever ;)

Longterm maybe take the metas. forest apart, work the trees and put em on a slab with more space in between
Good luck with the JWP, theyre great if treated right and happen to like your microclimate

Dux

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Add your Usda zone to your profile or people will pester you forever ;)

Longterm maybe take the metas. forest apart, work the trees and put em on a slab with more space in between
Good luck with the JWP, theyre great if treated right and happen to like your microclimate
Haha thanks for the tip, i put it up there!
Hmm should i put the metas in trainings pots then? It will gives them some more space to develop tho :)

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Haha thanks for the tip, i put it up there!
Hmm should i put the metas in trainings pots then? It will gives them some more space to develop tho :)
Depends on if you want them to grow big or not. Free growth can be 1-2m a season. I have mine in small pots and they grew 20cm this year.
You could grow them big and keep chopping back every year or two to create taper, but many people dont bother with taper for forests

Dux

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Depends on if you want them to grow big or not. Free growth can be 1-2m a season. I have mine in small pots and they grew 20cm this year.
You could grow them big and keep chopping back every year or two to create taper, but many people dont bother with taper for forests
I’m still young so i have enough time to bother haha, i’d like to put the work in there :)

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Welcome.
You have some great trees.

Reactions: Dux

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
thanks a lot 🤗
Now i hope i can keep them alive and train them even better

hahah wow thats sick, thats the “Dom”, i didnt even know about this!
Yeah, the Dom as it was before the middle collapsed, ha!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A million videos and not one said you can do this for free?

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You seem to know quite a lot of the dom, you from around here?

Nope, I'm in the US - but my buddy did his Master's of business over there and I spent a few weeks with him.

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi friend!

Welcome to Bnut!
I love the forest btw

Dux

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nope, I'm in the US - but my buddy did his Master's of business over there and I spent a few weeks with him.
Ahh thats great, hope u had a good time over here!
Hi friend!

Welcome to Bnut!
I love the forest btw
Hi new friend :)
I love it tooo!! I'm gonna let it grow a bit this season and in winter i'll look how i want to shape it :p

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welkom en succes met de hernieuwde verslaving. Begin maar alvast te sparen ;)

Dux

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hi, i have a question!
as seen above i recently started, and meta forest have some brown leaves, i give them water almost everyday when the soil is dry on top, its been crazy hot in the netherlands last few weeks. Are the leaves burnt?

034F0CA6-E38C-460F-A264-6B632FCDD091.jpeg

Rest looks very good
A3D43538-CA16-4484-A2BA-28CD510A1EA6.jpeg

863D8F51-8586-401E-84A9-9C264CB52BB7.jpeg

anyone some advice? 🤗

Dux

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
anyone some advice?
Earlier in the season I picked up a few of these as well and also experienced some browning like you have. For me, it appears to have been nothing more than acclimating to the new micro-climate after the repot. And the trees are all green again now. They make for cool forests. I'm curious what others' opinions are on the leaves.

Dux

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
hmm it happend in the first week, so many you are right and it acclimating? I hope so !

Top Bottom