New here, first nursery stock, feedback?

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Just started with bonsai, I have three trees right now. This seems like a great place, looking forward to participating in your community!

I picked up my first nursery stock a few days ago, a winter gem boxwood. It was HUGE and very root bound. Today 20170716_194734.jpg I trimmed the roots and repotted it, anchored it in the pot with wire, and did some (but not all) pruning.

It has three trunks, which I kind of like! It looks like they're twisting together.

Here are some pictures after pruning:
http://imgur.com/a/JdNU4

I'd love any feedback you guys have!
This will be my first time wiring a tree... it's still so dense it's hard to see where to wire it, but I'm worried about pruning it back too much.

Edit: Also, I'll be growing this indoors. I know, not ideal, but I live in a second floor apartment and there is no yard to keep my trees in. I invested in a large fluorescent light, which you can see in the picture background.

Last edited:

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You have to keep that outside or its dead.
Oh and welcome!
Also I don't know what part of the world you are in, but it's not a great time to repot in most parts.
Other than those thoughts, I think you have done well with picking a tree with potential and finding a good position in its pots.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Are you an imgurian or just use it for photo upload?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Ah light gardening is great, but a little tricky. You are in Rochester NY, there is a commercial bonsai nursery, International Bonsai, owned by Bill Valvanis, he is in Rochester. Seek him out. Between him and his students they will have excellent advice for under lights growing.

If you have a balcony, or a wide window sill ledge, you could summer this tree outdoors and winter it under lights. Don't know if that is feasible or not.

For fluorescent lights, High Output T-5 lamps and LED lamps you want as much of the foliage as possible to be within 9 inches of the lights. To keep boxwood happy your light intensity should be over 1000 foot candles of light at about 6 inches below the tubes. The metric is Lumens, I forget the exact conversion to metric. To some extent using a long day length can compensate for lower light intensity. Up to about 18 hours of day, 6 hours of dark is ideal for under lights. More than 18 hours of light is a waste of electricity, but right up to 18 hours will improve growth.

Many will suggest outdoor growing, including myself, but if you can not, you can not. You can do a wide selection of sub-tropical and tropical trees under lights. Relatively few temperate species do well under lights, and no pines that I know of do well under lights. Juniper prostrata is about the only juniper that I have seen survive long term under lights. It will be difficult to get the set up ''just right'', but once you do growing under lights is relatively trouble free.

Shinjuku

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Welcome to the forum! Good job on diving in and learning by doing.

To get started in bonsai, it’s usually better to buy trees/plants from a local nursery and learn on those before you buy a “real” bonsai. You’re already doing this, so keep on that path for a while. First learn how to keep trees alive and healthy before investing money in more expensive bonsai.

As people have noted above, it’s extra challenging to keep trees alive indoors. Possible, but challenging.

If indoors is your only option, then ficus and schefflera are two good options to consider. They do relatively well indoors and are great trees to learn on. Fukien Tea Trees can also be grown indoors, but it takes more skill to keep them healthy since they’re a little more finicky.

You are really lucky to live close to Bill Valvanis’ nursery. You can get great advice from his staff, so take advantage of that.

There’s tons of stuff to learn, and I hope you enjoy the bonsai journey.

Top Bottom