New Here- how am I doing? Quercus lobata

Dogwood61

Seed
Reaction score
Hi. I’ve been growing rare cacti for 40 years, and have become really good at it. I wish I’d started bonsai as passionately, as long ago. I grew a plum for 20 years that made me happy. I had coaxed a respectable cascade into it, but I accidentally killed it.
Then about 8 years ago I bought a little nursery stock seedling of Valley Oak and set to it.
I don’t know the art, I’m only an imitator. I can prune. I can wire. I can keep it moist. But to me it’s still only a pruned, wired, watered small tree.
Some day I hope I shall know how bonsai actually happens.

. DA94C2FB-7577-41F0-8A74-D7CCCECAEECD.jpegE56D66B6-95EB-48FC-9D24-884591D8F8B4.jpeg1083DF77-4003-4600-8EBA-519C0020881C.jpeg
You may tell me there are too many competing branches, and that it’s trying to fill in a 360* circle. I’ll agree. My feeling is that I can always chop big stuff off, but can only make a commitment when I know it’s the right move. So I’ve wired up everything like a math problem. Twisting and bending. Like nature
4CB80918-9521-413F-924B-28DC50F6CF0A.jpeg
Perhaps I should be prepared for the day in another 8 years when the trunk is much fatter, and just sacrifice the whole thing above the bottom couple of branches. These are relative newcomers nursed to make up for some early low cuts that I probably shouldn’t have made.3B868475-5E02-44AF-9335-1935EFF1C3C2.jpeg

I guess I could join the San Jose Bonsai club and get an expert to help me out. That would be fun. But I thought I’d post here and see if this youngster is worth doing anything with beyond passive tinkering, short of just... waiting.

Attachments

• F9586D92-16FF-40EB-96DA-42F3255816D7.jpeg
    F9586D92-16FF-40EB-96DA-42F3255816D7.jpeg
    291.1 KB · Views: 4

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Agree with your strategy to put twists and bends into oak branches. Not everyone notices that about oak trees and we see lots with straight or gently curved branches that are not really convincing.
I would probably like to see a little more pruning to get some more ramification on the best branches. It is starting to look quite long and leggy to me and that will only continue. Reducing the height and spread will actually make the trunk appear thicker.

Bonsai clubs are a great source of ideas and fellowship. Nothing beats discussing a tree in front of you. 2D photos just don't match up and written explanation cannot match verbal 2 way conversation.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
youngster is worth doing anything with beyond passive tinkering
YES😎. Personal Oak fan here so somewhat prejudiced. Straight section of trunk needs bent or cut back to make more interesting trunk to go with great branching. If tap root still exists needs to be worked back to minimum amount possible. What is big ball at base of tree? Based on size of leaves would suggest larger tree of 2 1/2 - 3' tall. Congratulations on keeping trees alive as is first most important thing in Bonsai. Please add location to profile;). Best idea to join local club. attend class and make friends with other Oak keepers.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Consider posting your location as it is pertinent.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Your approach is a good one, if you can keep the plants alive and keep doing the right things at the right time, then eventually you will get it. Also studying great trees is a worthwhile effort, learning what makes them good is learning how to make yours good.

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Welcome aboard
I like it and am a fan of the twisty oak growth.
That things is on-course to becoming a nice naturalistic style oak.
Search through Walter Pall’s posts here. There is a good bit to see and enjoy

Top Bottom