New here & to growing anything really.

Jack-K-92

Seed
Reaction score
Bolton, Greaater Manchester, United Kingdom
USDA Zone
8b
Hey guys... i am new to growing any plants/ tree's i have done basic research into how to keep them alive in pots ect and as i was strolling through my local supermarket i stumbled upon a Japanese maple tree...and hearing that these where a good option to start a bonsai tree with i picked it up for a bargain price of £4.... the only problem was this was an impulse buy and really i have no idea what i should do with this tree.
the tree seems only young maybe 1-2 years old maybe more im not sure... i was just wondering what you guys think i should do from here. should i let it to continue to grow to let the trunk get thicker ect or should i start with defoliation and pruning ect...i have tried to research as much about this tree as i could and found out there is more than one type of Japanese maple and i was wondering how i could tell what type it is and what style of bonsai would suit the tree the most.....i have also noticed some leaves are looking unhealthy and was wondering if anybody might know if the tree is actually healthy or if action would be needed.

sorry about the influx of questions but i would highly appreciate if somebody could help a complete noobie to this sort of thing and thank you :) 39467691_1757573844362083_5228928902545539072_n (1).jpg39468202_234644780585796_8979009735109902336_n.jpg39521938_243571753151858_5623329659073593344_n.jpg39526435_666332053765127_8214130090380886016_n.jpg

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
Hello! My two cents... you are on the right track with researching how to keep it alive. It will help a little with actually keeping it alive because unfortunately the only way to really learn to keep it alive is to keep it alive long enough to know what you are doing right more then wrong. Second, I would learn what all these bonsai terms mean and more importantly when to use them... I’m looking at you 'defoliation’ ?. Most trees will only take a certain punishment (hard chop/wiring/repotting/etc) at certain times of the year until you understand the finer details of what you are doing.

Most people here will tell you that it is a stick in a pot and you should stick it in the ground for five years and that is very solid advice. It is very safe but.... BORING! I would shorten it and wire it and try to make a bonsai out of it. I would then figure out what is wrong with my design from an artistic POV... Then I would figure out what I did wrong and why I killed it. Then I would go buy 2-3 more trees that are a step up in quality for my purpose and use my recently aquired knowledge to make them live longer and maybe look a little better.

If you are in this hobby for a little while, you will kill trees. It happens. Killing a couple £4 trees now is a lot less heartache then a £40 or a £400 tree later. If killing this tree is too much of an emotional/financial burden then I would plant it in the ground and wait until you are ready.

Jack-K-92

Seed
Reaction score
Bolton, Greaater Manchester, United Kingdom
USDA Zone
8b
i don't own or have access to any land i could plant the tree... and i'm not the type to just dive in and start doing stuff when i don't understand what i am doing so i guess i shall take it slow and do nothing with it for the time being...just make sure i understand the basics of keeping it alive whilst researching and learning before i try anything...i really don't wish to kill this tree but i have accepted that it may die as a result of an error on my behalf. maybe i will wait until next year before i start trying to work on the tree after i have learned a truck ton load more information about what i am trying to achieve.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Are you keeping the tree outside?
Maples cannot live inside.

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
i don't own or have access to any land i could plant the tree... and i'm not the type to just dive in and start doing stuff when i don't understand what i am doing so i guess i shall take it slow and do nothing with it for the time being...just make sure i understand the basics of keeping it alive whilst researching and learning before i try anything...i really don't wish to kill this tree but i have accepted that it may die as a result of an error on my behalf. maybe i will wait until next year before i start trying to work on the tree after i have learned a truck ton load more information about what i am trying to achieve.
That will do too. I’m not saying you will do this, but many do.... say you will just grow it for a year, but after reading a bit and a few weeks go by, repot it, wire it, defoliate, chop it and then rewire it again. I’m being hyperbolic, sort of. But I’m sure you catch my drift. If you really want to keep it alive long term I recommend you do your research and come up with 2-3 potential courses of action you think could be your next step and post it in this thread (some start a new thread for every question about the same tree resulting in ten threads with no easy to read history. It’s annoying for the people trying to help FYI). You will likely get some options and when to do them. Don’t take action and then ask about it because it’s too late then.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Welcome!

I spent my first year just watering and simple slip potting. It's pretty late in the year for repotting, so just research and water.... water and research.

Get another tree on fall clearance...

Research and water. Prepare for winter. Water and research. It'll be spring again before you know it!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome!

I spent my first year just watering and simple slip potting. It's pretty late in the year for repotting, so just research and water.... water and research.

Get another tree on fall clearance...

Research and water. Prepare for winter. Water and research. It'll be spring again before you know it!
Killer advice!

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Also watching bonsai videos on YouTube while letting your tree grow is good. Watching other more experienced practicioners work their trees can help you learn through observation and possibly help you learn through them explaning their procedures. I started my first year with Willow cuttings and a serissa that mostly died, 2 Willow are still alive and I also started a lot of seeds so I can learn to keep them alive, keep me busy, and have more to work with in the long run. I'm only a year and a half in.

Top Bottom