New Here With a Question

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can chop and hack them pretty good, I've had trunks die not leaving a live limb and others pop bud all over. It's when you begin branch development that they tend to abort the whole limb if you move to fast. Rick

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have several compound leaf trees I am working on; Campeche/Logwood/Bloodwood, Brazilian Rain Tree, and Cat's Claw acacia.

It is a bit more difficult but you can see lots of bonsai made out of these (compound leaf trees).

BTW, I forgot the bad part...compound leaf tend to work better on larger bonsai which means you will have a long way to get there having the need to develop the trunk and all.

The leaves on the ones I am working on are also much smaller than yours so you may need to bump up the size up further. Sorry, just trying to give you some pertinent facts to consider.

Hunter_3

Seedling
Reaction score
BTW, I forgot the bad part...compound leaf tend to work better on larger bonsai which means you will have a long way to get there having the need to develop the trunk and all.

The leaves on the ones I am working on are also much smaller than yours so you may need to bump up the size up further. Sorry, just trying to give you some pertinent facts to consider.

I think that's a good idea. I will just let it grow and then start working on it?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think that's a good idea. I will just let it grow and then start working on it?

Have a general plan and do what you can now... like wire the trunk and branches to give it some character. It will be impossible to do later.

Maybe replant it to the ground or a bigger pot (remember to put a tile or plate under the base if you do to discourage downward or taproot like roots). Other than that, let it grow until it is close to your target size. Of course continue doing what needs to be done like wiring as needed, trimming lower branches IF you are developing those already, etc.

Note to wire only the part you need (maybe just a little more). I sometimes see people wire a foot long branch entirely thought they only need to keep 3 inches and chop later, it really baffles me.

Good luck!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
These four are Honey Locust and all are thornless. The first three have yellow fall color and the sunburst is considered and described as gold color. The last two are salt resistant but they are all easy to grow.

Gleditsia triacanthos f inermis 'Shademaster'
Gleditsia triacanthos inermis 'Skyline' also called Imperial honeylocust
Gleditsia triacanthos inermis
Gleditsia triacanthos f inermis 'Sunburst'

Grimmy

Hunter_3

Seedling
Reaction score
Have a general plan and do what you can now... like wire the trunk and branches to give it some character. It will be impossible to do later.

Maybe replant it to the ground or a bigger pot (remember to put a tile or plate under the base if you do to discourage downward or taproot like roots). Other than that, let it grow until it is close to your target size. Of course continue doing what needs to be done like wiring as needed, trimming lower branches IF you are developing those already, etc.

Note to wire only the part you need (maybe just a little more). I sometimes see people wire a foot long branch entirely thought they only need to keep 3 inches and chop later, it really baffles me.

Good luck!

Is there anything that you see that needs to be wired or trimmed? I'm not sure if you can see it well in the pictures. If not, I can upload more.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm sorry...it really depends on what your vision or target is. You can also leave it as-is and let the tree tell you what it wants to be. One day, it will just hit you (a-ha moment).

Good luck!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here is my sting bean locust. No-thorn volunteer. It got mites bad last year and went dormant a good month early but seems to have sprung back ok. It was getting wilted a few weeks ago until I added a splash of vermi compost right in top. It perked up and put on new growth within days.

Sorry for the crappy photo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 12
Top Bottom