New Hinoki and a "Corner Cabinet"

micahmcgrath

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Finished up this little weekend project. Wife said corner cabinet, I said tokonoma. Currently sporting a newly styled hinoki.IMG_20201121_160006.jpg
This tree is very special to me. Little shaggy, but not bad for a first styling. Cultivar Reis dwarf. It was a gift from my bonsai buddy, MJ, over at Timberwinds in STL. When he brought it into the nursery, we were both in awe at the grotesqueness of it. Base like an onion. Was also bursting out of it's one gallon. We aptly named it Ogre - like an onion with many layers lol. Despite it's formidable base, it has very natural and graceful movement all the way to the apex. Almost none of that is wired, but one heavy gauge to move it slightly above the best front.

Really thrilled with this usual little hinoki, and can't wait for spring to get it out of it's decaying one gallon nursery pot. I'm sure I'll start its own thread soon enough. Been meaning to post updates on my projects, just haven't gotten around to it...

Special tree deserves a special pot.. Maybe @sorce can help me out with that? 🤔

IMG_20201123_080604.jpgIMG_20201123_080646.jpgIMG_20201123_080651.jpgIMG_20201123_080713.jpgIMG_20201123_080827.jpgIMG_20201123_080805~2.jpg
As always, comments and critiques are always welcome!

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Appears to be grafted. Very nice branch structure.
I'm afraid to style mine this time of year, yet I just wired 2 sekka hinokis.
The guy wire is terribly thin and should have been buffered on top side of
the branch that's got the foliage rotated upside down.
On my bench I would remove that strong extra trunk coming off of the 2nd right branch,
as well as the small branch at the fork crossing the trunk, covering the 2nd branch.
Then allow the 2 bottom branches to run strongest to help with the union transition/taper/bulbous effect.
Those 2 lower branches will still need to be kept wired out flat to keep interior growth to cut back to later.
Very nice gift. I'm jealous!

micahmcgrath

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Appears to be grafted. Very nice branch structure.
I'm afraid to style mine this time of year, yet I just wired 2 sekka hinokis.
The guy wire is terribly thin and should have been buffered on top side of
the branch that's got the foliage rotated upside down.
On my bench I would remove that strong extra trunk coming off of the 2nd right branch,
as well as the small branch at the fork crossing the trunk, covering the 2nd branch.
Then allow the 2 bottom branches to run strongest to help with the union transition/taper/bulbous effect.
Those 2 lower branches will still need to be kept wired out flat to keep interior growth to cut back to later.
Very nice gift. I'm jealous!
I appreciate the comment! Definitely grafted, but I don't think the bulge detracts from the design. The large trunk has no branching, I cut it all. Just haven't jinned it, if that's the route I decide to go. I've gone back and forth on that branch at the fork. Considered removing, but we'll see how it develops. Not sure which guy wire you're referring to.

On another note, what's your concern with wiring hinoki at this time of year?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I appreciate the comment! Definitely grafted, but I don't think the bulge detracts from the design. The large trunk has no branching, I cut it all. Just haven't jinned it, if that's the route I decide to go. I've gone back and forth on that branch at the fork. Considered removing, but we'll see how it develops. Not sure which guy wire you're referring to.

On another note, what's your concern with wiring hinoki at this time of year?
Sorry after I posted that I saw it was in the display part of the forum and failed to comment.
That's a cool dual purpose display that satisfies both a place to picture some trees and a corner cabinet for your wife.

Didn't see anything about proposed jin, I'm sure that'll be in its' own thread you started.

Well, 2 reasons for my concern styling this time of year. Last year I gently wired a golden variety
that I thought might die with its response. Could have been a blight or fungal issue, but still it showed up
shortly after wiring. It had responded quite well to styling Aug 2018, and actually a 3rd reason, Bjorn
in Tennessee suggests to style during the growing season like June. That does give ample time to recover and
probably more energetically. Its final flush of growth is over now.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
what's your concern with wiring hinoki at this time of year?
post #86 My golden variety attached in thumbnails, before and after,
from the previous Fall (2019) though the post is in Feb 2020.

micahmcgrath

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A strange and yet beautiful tree. Also very nice job on your display area.
Thanks Judy! It is a bit of a strange one..but in person it has a real feel of age that the photos don't quite capture. We'll see how she goes

micahmcgrath

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sorry after I posted that I saw it was in the display part of the forum and failed to comment.
That's a cool dual purpose display that satisfies both a place to picture some trees and a corner cabinet for your wife.

Didn't see anything about proposed jin, I'm sure that'll be in its' own thread you started.

Well, 2 reasons for my concern styling this time of year. Last year I gently wired a golden variety
that I thought might die with its response. Could have been a blight or fungal issue, but still it showed up
shortly after wiring. It had responded quite well to styling Aug 2018, and actually a 3rd reason, Bjorn
in Tennessee suggests to style during the growing season like June. That does give ample time to recover and
probably more energetically. Its final flush of growth is over now.
I gotcha. That's a concern of mine going into winter. Last time I wired a hinoki was in June following Bjorn's advice, but i actually lost some branches immediately following. That's why I considered switching up the process. This one will be well pampered in the greenhouse though, just above freezing so hopefully that's enough for a strong recovery.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Special tree deserves a special pot.. Maybe

I'd do anything to be in a sweet display like that!

I'll show you things that may work...and if nothing ever does .... I'm pretty sure I almost have everything on order to start real "Sorcemissions", but for now I'll have to keep you posted!

Wicked tree!

Thanks!

Sorce

micahmcgrath

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'd do anything to be in a sweet display like that!

I'll show you things that may work...and if nothing ever does .... I'm pretty sure I almost have everything on order to start real "Sorcemissions", but for now I'll have to keep you posted!

Wicked tree!

Thanks!

Sorce
I'm all ears man! Would love to practice some sorcery.. been meaning to snag one of your pots for awhile, just feels like cheating as my wife is a potter as well lol. But in nearly 5 years she has yet to make me a bonsai pot 🤣 despite the few she has helped me create for myself

Top Bottom