New Hobbyist in Northwest Italy

cohenkin

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello. I am a complete beginner in this hoppy. Ihave been interested in growing bonsai for many years, but I now have the time to seriously devote myself to this endeavor. I was wondering if there are any clubs in this area. I live an hour southwest of Torino (Turn) and have plenty of time to attend meetings. Alternatively, does anyone know of any clubs anywhere that meet virtually?

Right now, I have started with my first tree, a Ficus retusa. For now, I am trying to stick with indoor specimens, though that will change as the weather improves. Does anyone have a suggestion for my second bonsai? The room it will be grown in is warm (about 75 F or 24 C). It has a large westwardly facing window which affords good direct sunlight all afternoon. I also have a 1000 lumen grow light running 12 hours a day. Because of the heat, the roon has low humidity so I have to water frequently. I'll try to answer any questions you may have. Thanks for your help! Sam

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Ficus is a great choice for a first indoor tree and welcome!

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
Hi @cohenkin welcome to the forum im not sure about clubs near you as i am in England, but this link has a interactive map of clubs in the world including Italy no sure how up to date it is though https://www.bonsaiempire.com/locations/clubs
There are lots of great bonsai coming out of Italy. ficus is a great choice as for your second tree if you have outside space I would go for an olive surely every Italian bonsai practitioner should own olive as every good English man should own an English oak. 😊

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome,

I not all that familiar with clubs in Italy, but there are some incredible bonsai artists and sellers there. Luigi Crespi has been a notable bonsaiist there for some time

Andrea Meriggioli in Trieste owns Hiryu-en bonsai nursery.

Bonsai clubs

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Greetings, Traveller!

Glad you moseyed your way here. The Woody Dwarves (or, "Pa-Is" ((I am a chunk Native American :) )))excited about your location, and have thrown the lamb on (I'm balkan, too 😂) for your commencement FEAST...

Here..

In the Tiny Forest.,

All the resources provided you, so far, are excellent..

I just have a few things to add.

12 hours is not enough, in my opinion, for supplemental light.. My timers are set for as close as I can GET to 20/4 without going over.

Also.. in your room.. if heat is an issue.. you MUST keep airflow moving about.. the plants AND containers...

For your (splendid) climate, and second "bonsai' tree. (and considering you will operating an indoor room alone)

I'd suggest..

Punica Granatum

Olea Europa.

More Ficus.
(coooould look into.. )
Brazillian Rain Tree.

Parkinsonia Apiculata

Ebenopsis Ebano..

Your outdoor climate is PERFECT.. do you have access to outdoor space.

Pleasure to make your acquaintance.

🤓

cohenkin

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi @cohenkin welcome to the forum im not sure about clubs near you as i am in England, but this link has a interactive map of clubs in the world including Italy no sure how up to date it is though https://www.bonsaiempire.com/locations/clubs
There are lots of great bonsai coming out of Italy. ficus is a great choice as for your second tree if you have outside space I would go for an olive surely every Italian bonsai practitioner should own olive as every good English man should own an English oak. 😊
Thank you, Lutonian! I found Bonsai Empire before I got here. I have not yet found a club through that site, but I am still going through the list. Hopefully, something will click.
I am not Yet ready to undertake an outdoor bonsai. The weather here is very unpredictable. I live in the Croatian Alps foothills. We can get big snowfalls into mid-April and beyond and temperatures can dip to a -20 wind chill at the same time. An outdoor tree will probably come along around May or June. I agree about an olive tree being a must.
Final question, are you a Hatters Fan? Best, Sam

cohenkin

Sapling
Reaction score
Welcome,

I not all that familiar with clubs in Italy, but there are some incredible bonsai artists and sellers there. Luigi Crespi has been a notable bonsaiist there for some time

Bonsai clubs
@rockm, thank you for the information. I intend to ask if they have a recommendation. purchased my first bonsai from Crespi. Presently, I am in Milano and scheduled to visit tomorrow. I intend to ask what they think about the “second tree conundrum” and I will ask about each suggestion from here.
Thank you for the kind welcome and great information!
Welcome,

Bonsai clubs
Welcome,

Bonsai clubs
Welcome,

Bonsai clubs
Thank you for all of the great information @rockm! You obviously put time and effort into your response and I appreciate it! I am writing to you from Milan where I have a tour of the Crespi facility scheduled for tomorrow morning. I intend to ask them about my “second tree conundrum” and will ask about everyone’s suggestions here. I’ll report back if there is a “blessed event” or not. Best, Sam

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thank you, Lutonian! I found Bonsai Empire before I got here. I have not yet found a club through that site, but I am still going through the list. Hopefully, something will click.
I am not Yet ready to undertake an outdoor bonsai. The weather here is very unpredictable. I live in the Croatian Alps foothills. We can get big snowfalls into mid-April and beyond and temperatures can dip to a -20 wind chill at the same time. An outdoor tree will probably come along around May or June. I agree about an olive tree being a must.
Final question, are you a Hatters Fan? Best, Sam
I sure am a Hatters fan (we are currently 9th in the championship division) how come you know my home team do you have links with Luton as there are a lot of Italians in the town some families going back generations, bedford the next town over from me has the most Italians in the country https://www.bedfordshirelive.co.uk/news/history/bedford-italians-highest-proportion-uk-4897619

cohenkin

Sapling
Reaction score
I am not
Greetings, Traveller!

Glad you moseyed your way here. The Woody Dwarves (or, "Pa-Is" ((I am a chunk Native American :) )))excited about your location, and have thrown the lamb on (I'm balkan, too 😂) for your commencement FEAST...

Here..

In the Tiny Forest.,

All the resources provided you, so far, are excellent..

I just have a few things to add.

12 hours is not enough, in my opinion, for supplemental light.. My timers are set for as close as I can GET to 20/4 without going over.

Also.. in your room.. if heat is an issue.. you MUST keep airflow moving about.. the plants AND containers...

For your (splendid) climate, and second "bonsai' tree. (and considering you will operating an indoor room alone)

I'd suggest..

Punica Granatum

Olea Europa.

More Ficus.
(coooould look into.. )
Brazillian Rain Tree.

Parkinsonia Apiculata

Ebenopsis Ebano..

Your outdoor climate is PERFECT.. do you have access to outdoor space.

Pleasure to make your acquaintance.

🤓
@HorseloverFat, thank you for your warm welcome. It is greatly appreciated. I love lamb, it is one of my absolute favorite meats. If we are going to feast I’ll bring a fine Barolo as the town of Barolo is 45 minutes away from my home and is a perfect pairing with grilled lamb.
To quickly answer one of your questions, I have plenty of outdoor space and the environment is quite good for agriculture of all types. On the property we have mature kiwi, cherry and fig trees which all produce excellent fruit. A grape vine that produces good grapes (but not good for making wine 😩), and a few others. I need a bit more education before I take on the challenge of outdoor bonsai growing. It will come.

I am unfamiliar with several of the trees you mentioned but I will do some reading tonight after dinner.

Another reason I want my second tree to be indoor is because I just love looking at my bonsai. It makes me feel very calm. I’m also big on meditation and I use my bonsai as a point of focus (along with my breath). Don’t worry, outdoor bonsai are coming! Best, Sam

cohenkin

Sapling
Reaction score
I sure am a Hatters fan (we are currently 9th in the championship division) how come you know my home team do you have links with Luton as there are a lot of Italians in the town some families going back generations, bedford the next town over from me has the most Italians in the country https://www.bedfordshirelive.co.uk/news/history/bedford-italians-highest-proportion-uk-4897619
@Lutonian LOL!!! Sorry but no relations in Luton. Plus I don’t have a drop of Italian blood in me (unless you count the blood I produced from the Italian wine I have consumed). I collect hats and years ago I formed a hat collector club in my hometown of Philadelphia. In an effort to smooth over the rough patch between the US and England in 1776 (with Philadelphia being the capital) we adopted the Hatters as our official football club. On game days we would all wear our Luton colors and met at our favorite local bar and did what all proper English football fans do on game day while wearing our best English hats. Fun times!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
. I’m also big on meditation
Oh! We will get along JUUUST fine!

As you will see, soon enough..

I 'preach' as an advocate for meditation... often.

It has been an enormous part of my life, and NOW.. my children's.

🤓

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
When you start looking for more outdoor species... Consider looking at Unique European and Asian Acers..

Like Acer Monspessulanum

And Acer Miyabei ssp

Lots of neat trees would grow well by you..

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@Lutonian LOL!!! Sorry but no relations in Luton. Plus I don’t have a drop of Italian blood in me (unless you count the blood I produced from the Italian wine I have consumed). I collect hats and years ago I formed a hat collector club in my hometown of Philadelphia. In an effort to smooth over the rough patch between the US and England in 1776 (with Philadelphia being the capital) we adopted the Hatters as our official football club. On game days we would all wear our Luton colors and met at our favorite local bar and did what all proper English football fans do on game day while wearing our best English hats. Fun times!
Wow that's an interesting piece of history I wasn't aware of. So you must have Luton straw boater in your collection.

cohenkin

Sapling
Reaction score
When you start looking for more outdoor species... Consider looking at Unique European and Asian Acers..

Like Acer Monspessulanum

And Acer Miyabei ssp

Lots of neat trees would grow well by you..
I’m ready to immerse myself in this. I like the art, the nature, and the people I’ve encountered here so far.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I’m ready to immerse myself in this. I like the art, the nature, and the people I’ve encountered here so far.
It is the most expansively, satisfyingly immersive way of life I've found.. I've always grown plants... and been .. 'close' to nature.. So my obsession can be summed up BROADLY.. by "Flora" :).

Then you will find.. Bonsai knowledge and thought process seeping through.. assisting other areas of your life.. and vice versa.

cohenkin

Sapling
Reaction score
It is the most expansively, satisfyingly immersive way of life I've found.. I've always grown plants... and been .. 'close' to nature.. So my obsession can be summed up BROADLY.. by "Flora" :).

Then you will find.. Bonsai knowledge and thought process seeping through.. assisting other areas of your life.. and vice versa.
At this point, bonsai seems to be all about nurturing. I was a trial lawyer for over 40 years. As a trial lawyer, I was called upon to think in many ways but nurturing was not one of them. 😡

cohenkin

Sapling
Reaction score
Wow that's an interesting piece of history I wasn't aware of. So you must have Luton straw boater in your collection.
Boaters are difficult to collect. They are breakable and really fragile. It is hard to find old ones. My primary hat collecting interest is in 30s through 50s fedoras. During most of those years, Borsalino from Alexandria in Italy, was preeminent in fedora making along with Stetson from the USA. Borsalino fell off after WWII and Stetson became #1.

Top Bottom