New Hobbyist

Sombreroisland

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

new hobbyist from Manila. Just wanted to say that this forum is a great resource for discussion. Most of what I've learned as a beginner are from the pages I've read here. Looking forward to meeting everyone's acquaintance.

Got my first 2 trees as well - Pemphis Acidula. My mind's about to explode trying to figure out how to start! Figured my learning curve, while steep, will allow the trees to just grow so that works out.

Hoping to learn from the collective experience of everyone in the board.

bonsai.jpg

bonsai2.jpg

Last edited:

Sombreroisland

Seedling
Reaction score
Welcome!!! VERY nice. I bet those things were expensive? Don't kill them!!! :)

Thank you garir for the warm welcome. They cost a decent amount of money as a Christmas gift to myself. Keeping them alive is the goal! Figured I need to practice my patience! I've been in and out of the plant hobby as I used to make vivariums and terrariums before.

Always been interested in bonsais before but this was the first time I figured I was ready to take the challenge.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome to B-Nut kabayan!

Those are very nice materials (exciting and mouthwatering actually LOL)...please learn how to care for them properly first and not do much until you have more experience. :)

I read that you need to water the Pemphis with saltwater every now and then, else it will deteriorate. If you are not an IBC member yet, go there and talk to Jun (among others). He is also in the Philippines and have a lot of Pemphis in his collection.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome to the forum, these are some of the nicest starter trees I've ever seen! :D

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've seen some great things done with Pemphis Acidula. If you google Robert Stevens, you'll see some amazing trees. I wish they grew in my part of the world. Look forward to seeing your progression as a bonsai artist.

Sombreroisland

Seedling
Reaction score
@poink88 hi kabayan, I will check ibc out eventually, for now I want to just slowly get my feet into this as a private exercise. The goal really is don't get them dead! I do have easy access to saltwater so fairly easy for me to manage that bit. Thanks for the advice.

@judyb thanks for the welcome!

@bonsai Barry ill look him up thanks for the tip on Robert Stevens. Appreciate it very much.

I'm a serious amateur photographer still delving on large format cameras of old. I've always had subjects in 2d and must say that the 3D artistic aspect of a bonsai completely blows my mind. This is definitely going to be a real challenge for me..quite excited really. :)

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hello, welcome and enjoy,
I must say you skiped the pre-bonsai and jumped the fence broke the glass window and bought the best meterial found lol, just kidding. Love those trees don't know about them but love the movement, aged and time tested natural look you have got a good vision for meterial...

best regards,
Rishi.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welcome to BNut

Nice trees you have there.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@poink88 hi kabayan, I will check ibc out eventually, for now I want to just slowly get my feet into this as a private exercise. The goal really is don't get them dead! I do have easy access to saltwater so fairly easy for me to manage that bit.

The ibc is a blog.. It's a bit more international.

http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
@poink88 hi kabayan, I will check ibc out eventually, for now I want to just slowly get my feet into this as a private exercise. The goal really is don't get them dead! I do have easy access to saltwater so fairly easy for me to manage that bit. Thanks for the advice.

First welcome and congrats on owning a Pemphis! You have been given very good advice to get some expert instruction on their care. Robert and Jun are very nice and will be more than happy to help someone who asks. I would make this a priority to ensure the health of your beautiful trees.

GarlR

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Does the second picture have deadwood? I can't tell if that is actually part of the tree, or deadwood?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Does the second picture have deadwood? I can't tell if that is actually part of the tree, or deadwood?

Both. The deadwood is part of the tree (and it can have lots of it)...part of Pemphis charm.

Sombreroisland

Seedling
Reaction score
The deadwood in the windswept tree is a lot more pronounced. There's just a "central lifeline" running in between the deadwood.

The windswept one is a lot more trained than the semi cascade one that's the one I'll have a lot of opportunity to work with! :)

Was given a lot of very good advice on these trees so I'm just studying them now as I plan my steps. Really excited about these and I thank you for being excited w me!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Both are extremely nice and I am already playing (in my mind) how to "butcher" them LOL.

To me (...highly personal opinion) the first one have an identity crisis. Top is pulling to the left and the bottom is pulling to the right. I would probably air layer the bottom 2 branches out of that tree if these are mine. Leaving some long stubs for dead wood.

OR, layer the top portion leaving a cascade.

Just what I see. :)

Last edited:

Sombreroisland

Seedling
Reaction score
Both are extremely nice and I am already playing (in my mind) how to "butcher" them LOL.

To me (...highly personal opinion) the first one have an identity crisis. Top is pulling to the left and the bottom is pulling to the right. I would probably air layer the bottom 2 branches out of that tree if these are mine. Leaving some long stubs for dead wood.

OR, layer the top portion leaving a cascade.

Just what I see. :)

Hi poink,

Wow, I see what you see about pulling to the left and the right but to air layer the lower branches, I'm a bit unsure, yikes! Were you talking about the major lower portion or the sub branches. I don't know if it's just me. My mind is painting the shape of a Chinese dragon which I'm still unsure where the head is. I do agree w you right now it could be the top left or the lower right. I'm still butting heads w it..

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Now that you mentioned it, yes, I can see the dragon in there too. The head is the top, and the cascade is the body. The lowest branches and the one just by the rim of the pot are the legs/claws... (imagination at work LOL)

It is drastic but I am thinking of totally removing the cascade as a design OPTION. The 2nd option I mentioned is totally removing the top leaving a cascade.

As I said, do not do anything w/ them until you got really good advise (WARNING... I am just a newbie who talks his mind--very dangerous).

Jun and Robert Stevens are great resources you should tap if you can. :)

Good luck!!!

Top Bottom