new hornbeam

donkey

Mame
Reaction score
My girlfriend has bought me this hornbeam as a replacement/apology for frying my berberis and i am a little unsure where to go with it my gut instinct is to remove the thick branch on the left and then use a clamp to slowly lift the branch which comes out forwards to nearly vertical to create some taper then leave it alone to see what new growth it gives me. Is this the correct opinion or is there something i have missed.

Attachments

• P5112200.jpg
    P5112200.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 104
  • P5112201.jpg
    P5112201.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 68
  • P5112202.jpg
    P5112202.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 56

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Don if you don't like what is there chop it off, you will have numerous new choices not too long after that.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd chop that upper left top branch (that goes at a right angle to the trunk) off at the trunk. You'd have a pretty good start on an apex. I would not let that branch grow as it will do so at the expense of other, more in-scale, apex shoots...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Preparing to sound wise.....

I'd chop that upper left top branch (that goes at a right angle to the trunk) off at the trunk. You'd have a pretty good start on an apex. I would not let that branch grow as it will do so at the expense of other, more in-scale, apex shoots...

Yah... what he said. :p

V

J W

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I would chop it down to the first branch and feed, water, feed, water and feed...

It will take off and you will not be stuck with that straight section that has no taper. It will have movement and taper and you will be happier in the long run.

JW

Top Bottom