New indoor greenhouse.

Bonsaiboy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I got this greehouse from lowes, it measures around 5.5 feet tall and 4 foot wide. All I need now are some more lights and plants to fill it!image.jpg

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Nice, but be careful. I've had a couple of those because they tend to fall over and break easily. It may be just me, but I'd also rethink putting lights inside the greenhouse itself. I don't trust high humidity and light fixtures together. They don't play well.

Bonsaiboy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
It may be just me, but I'd also rethink putting lights inside the greenhouse itself. I don't trust high humidity and light fixtures together. They don't play well.

I was thinking about that too... don't want the bulb to pop...

MiteyF

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
That's why I've got my lights all out of any possible chances of humidity buildup areas.

Lights are in and of themselves humidity buildup areas. They have hoods, complex curves, nooks and crannies. Granted, their heat usually keeps the humidity at bay, just something to think about.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Lights are in and of themselves humidity buildup areas. They have hoods, complex curves, nooks and crannies. Granted, their heat usually keeps the humidity at bay, just something to think about.

Even so, I'd just rather not mix electrics and dripping moist areas.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
?? Its always beeen my experience that the lights dry out the moisture around the fixtures and the bulbs, and the heat rises keeping the area above them dry also so no need to worry about dripping water from moisture building up.

ed

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
?? Its always beeen my experience that the lights dry out the moisture around the fixtures and the bulbs, and the heat rises keeping the area above them dry also so no need to worry about dripping water from moisture building up.

ed

Not my experience. I've had T8 fixtures ruined by setting them inside high humidity setups. Believe me, this is from experience.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So what to do? Set light on top of a piece of plexiglass?

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not my experience. I've had T8 fixtures ruined by setting them inside high humidity setups. Believe me, this is from experience.

Could be Ryan, I have only used the T-5 tube type bulbs and the regular grow bulbs that screw into a normal light socket. My tube bulb is 5 years old and still lights up, I think it needs replaced though as it seems dimmer to me, and the little grow bulbs get broke all the time due to the clamp that gets loosened when bumped. I do not use any special humidity boosting thing but I do water it daily and there is moisture on all the walls, except near the lights.

ed

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
So what to do? Set light on top of a piece of plexiglass?

Yup that's what I do.

Could be Ryan, I have only used the T-5 tube type bulbs and the regular grow bulbs that screw into a normal light socket. My tube bulb is 5 years old and still lights up, I think it needs replaced though as it seems dimmer to me, and the little grow bulbs get broke all the time due to the clamp that gets loosened when bumped. I do not use any special humidity boosting thing but I do water it daily and there is moisture on all the walls, except near the lights.

ed

See, but I get humidity in the 80-90% range, without any boosting, so I would definitely not want those lights in that much moisture. Too risky.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Ryan. Seemed like an easy and cheap answer for protecting equipment.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks Ryan. Seemed like an easy and cheap answer for protecting equipment.

See the one in this thread.

Sure, if the humidity levels were much lower, say under 50%, I'd put the lights into the setups with the trees. But like I said, when I'm getting levels at 80-90% I just can't risk it.

Top Bottom