New Japanese Maple.....Suggestions Needed!!!

Rojo4321

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I recently purchased this Japanese Maple and was curious to get others opinion on it. The thing that attracted me to this tree first was the mature bark forming along the trunk and some of the branches. The worker assured me that it was not an arakawa but I have never sen bark like this form on a regular green maple. I want to increase the size of the tree so I am planning on repotting it into a grow box next Spring. Any advice and suggestions welcome!!!!

Attachments

• Jap Map(1).jpg
    Jap Map(1).jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 124
  • Jap Map(2).jpg
    Jap Map(2).jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 188

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Arakawa type japanese maples have very rough bark. Where do you live?

(EDIT - duh - I have to read your entire post more carefully next time - sorry :) )

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Arakawa type japanese maples have very rough bark. Where do you live?

When Japanese Maples are grown from seed gathered from one of the cultivars you never know what the results are going to be. Most of the time seeds will germinate and grow the green leafed feature, but sometimes when you have seed from one of the odd-ball cultivars you already have a bunch of recessive genes working there is always the possibility you will get something in the bunch that looks like something else or something totally unseen before. I grew about 225 Japanese Maples from Atropurpurum seeds. Out of all of them not one of them was what one would call a red leafed variety. However; there were a number of really odd trees with feathers like Cora Bark, some were like Kieo Hime and most were unique to themselves. There was one that had leaves that folded up like a sleeping bat. I think I still have that tree. But again, it is the proverbial box of chocolates.

As a bit of a side bar; most of the named cultivar J. Maples come from the Matsumarai strain.

Rojo4321

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Well a few months later and this is what is left. The tree has been getting full sun from about 9 am until about noon. The leaves all dried up and flaked away. I think it was wind / sun burn but i am not sure. Please let me know if this tree will be ok without a new set of leaves until next Spring. Anything special i should do?

Attachments

• maple1.jpg
    maple1.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 74
  • maple2.jpg
    maple2.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 70
Top Bottom