New JBP and newbie to Bonsai

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Rick. I am curious to know the trunk diameter at this point. The age of 11 years seems difficult to accept. I see no evidence in the picture of barking up which can typically start well before 11 years. If in fact the tree is a lot younger than stated, there are more options for development to consider with a higher chance of developing low branching,trunk movement and taper eventually.

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would say the trunk is 1/2 an inch maybe. As u can see the soul is just normal potting mix and they just put some different potting mix around it to make it look like really good soil. The nabari is not really there although I can feel some roots radiating from around the base, I should be able to uncover them hopefully if I keep it and repot.

Attachments

• IMG_20171123_155035.jpg
    IMG_20171123_155035.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20171123_155039.jpg
    IMG_20171123_155039.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20171123_155054.jpg
    IMG_20171123_155054.jpg
    411.8 KB · Views: 36

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As u can see the roots are buried pretty good. They just put some new potting soil on top of old organic potting soil from the looks of it. At least I don't see a reverse tapper. I would say the trunk is between 3/8 and a 1/2 inch

Attachments

• IMG_20171123_155054.jpg
    IMG_20171123_155054.jpg
    411.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20171123_155039.jpg
    IMG_20171123_155039.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20171123_155035.jpg
    IMG_20171123_155035.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 40

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sorry guys didn't see it post on page to from my phone so I reposted it again DOH lmao

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So this is why i asked? Typically my JBP have a trunk diameter of 1" at 3 years growth. Because, I use the root cutting method to develop radial roots when the seedlings are three months old that diameter is not what it could be if grown as a nursery plant. I suspect your tree is much younger. Check to see how easily it bends.
If so, then there is plenty of time to wire for movement and prune back for lower branch development and eventual taper. Apply wire to the trunk this winter to create some movement and interest in the trunk. Then I would repot the tree towards spring in a grow box or colander. If you use a colander place in the ground for a couple of years. Use Bonsai soil mix for the grow box or colander. Begin fertilizing approximately 1 month after repotting and build slowly. lots of water but allow the roots to dry out between waterings. Pines like dry feet and drainage is very important. once the tree has recovered and is vigourous then i would plan the cutback process to create lower branchin, and manage the sacrifice leader and branches selected to create taper.

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ok well if the tree is not 11yrs old, then that is another reason to send it back and get a refund because they are selling me what is described as a 11yrd old JBP trained by Bonsai Boy

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't mind the work or the time if needed to make something become what I want, but don't sell me something that is not what is advertised.

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I thought it was bigger from your first pics.. send it back if you can bud. Doesn't look like you got your money's worth.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So, i stepped outside and took two quick pictures to illustrate my point. Three year old Japanese Black pines in my growout beds. The height does not reflect all the growth as i have reduced the main leader last year to induce lower branching. i just chose the one at the end for ease of photography so it is neither the smallest, nor the largest. Trunk is beginning to show some flare, nebari and movement from wiring in year one. Note the presence of lower branches and options. jbp 3 yr.jpg JBP 3yr base.jpg Hope this helps you understand what you have received.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Your tree is max 3 years old.

Send it back!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good advice in this thread and I don't have much to add except - if you can find a bonsai club in your area, members can point you to sources of trees that you may not be aware of. Also, club auctions/sales can be good places to get material to learn on at a good price. Good luck!

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Plant your seeds and be sure to give em some shape early on rather than growing straight up and in 4 1/2 yrs you can have something like this. Then give it a few more years of training to bring everything closer to the trunk and let your top leader thicken up and taper down and then sit back and be amazed at what you did rather than some bonsai boy. :)

P1018359_pe.jpg

Last edited:

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Difficult way for beginner to start. This tree likely best for Literati;).

CamdenJim

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I recommend that you try eBay, and get one of George Muranaka’s JBP starters. ..
@Rick Walden , this it great advice.
At least, I did this after trying a couple of other places, then I asked for help from @Brian Van Fleet when I realized it needed to be repotted in something other than the field soil.
I couldn't be happier with what I have now, and I think you will be too.

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So I did keep this tree it has been 2yrs. There was a bud down low on the trunk and it grew so I have used this as a learning tree. So here are some pics to update what has come of it. I did put it in a wooden box don't ask me why but it has grown well in it.

Attachments

• IMG_20191008_152557.jpg
    IMG_20191008_152557.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 63

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I will get some more pics tomorrow. The bud that was down low has turned out to be in a good spot I think it will be the new leader after I cut the sacrifice branches off the top. Maybe half next year or two. Then let the second sacrifice branch that is about half way up take over and thicken trunk some more. I did get some movement near the soil, and I hope I can do a little work on the nebari. I don't think the roots are bad, but I don't think it is great either. Any just an update I'll get a few more pics during the day tomorrow

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looking good man! Well done, definitely a future for this tree. Glad you held onto it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pretty good for one of them leverite trees....

Ahem.

Maybe that's why we have no fucking material to view!

Bravo friend. Bravo!

Way to cut thru BS and WiN!

Sorce

Top Bottom