New JM pre-Bonsai Question

Kubruceiii

Sapling
Reaction score
The internodes on this trunk are pretty dang long, but I have some new branches growing out at some of the lowest nodes. Should I plan a trunk chop soon or will I possibly be able to work with the current trunk once it thickens up? I imagine that one of the lowest branches will likely end up providing the material that the trunk will eventually come from.20210513_195138.jpg20210513_175337.jpg20210513_200207.jpg20210513_200216.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Scribble a plan on paper. Don't worry about how crude, just have a drawing of sorts that represents what you want the tree to look like, either as a stepping stone or as finished. With that in hand you can do stuff at the right time to force the tree to grow the way you want it to grow. Then come back and ask how to do that. We'll wait right here.

Kubruceiii

Sapling
Reaction score
Scribble a plan on paper. Don't worry about how crude, just have a drawing of sorts that represents what you want the tree to look like, either as a stepping stone or as finished. With that in hand you can do stuff at the right time to force the tree to grow the way you want it to grow. Then come back and ask how to do that. We'll wait right here.
That's an awesome idea and exactly how I design beer recipes - write on paper what I want and then start figuring out how to achieve it. Good stuff, will do!

D

Deleted member 32750

Once the trunk thickens up some you can airlayer off the top above that first long internode 3 leaf pairs or so up and have another tree to work with instead of just pruning it off. I’m in the process of doing that with some of my Japanese red maples

Top Bottom