Multi Trunk JM 2019

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I agree with @AlainK that the nebari needs building. I have watched the progression of this tree and the base has always been a weak point.
I would have planted this deeper in the ground for a few years to develop the base, lifting each spring to work the roots.
I do have to mention that you may be trying to grow in too shallow of a container if you want it in a pot. Use a cut off nursery pot.
Nice job with the progression so far!!

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
Stuttgart DE, via Verona/Padova IT, Atlanta GA.
USDA Zone
7b
It started bud break in mid February because of an unusual heat wave. I protected it after that every time the temperatures were dipping close to freezing, including now. Spring weather should come to stay in a week here in Central Europe.
I noticed the stronger shoots have leaves that are of a noticeable lighter green with deeper orange edges than weaker shoots.
Some buds are still in deep sleep.

IMG_20210318_142440.jpg

IMG_20210318_161838.jpg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You are sure of the route you are taking.

However, I would seriously consider the more drastic cuts proposed before. You now have 3 straight, taperless main trunks with very long internodes: Not ideal for long term development.

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You are sure of the route you are taking.

However, I would seriously consider the more drastic cuts proposed before. You now have 3 straight, taperless main trunks with very long internodes: Not ideal for long term development.
I know there's not much taper now. My plan is to have a tall tree anyway and I think taper is less relevant when there are multiple trunks or a forest. We'll see.
I assure you it looks much nicer in person.
Thanks for your tips though, I appreciate any point of view.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
One can't lead a horse to water.

Like others, I think there's drastic pruning to be done.

I can understand that you don't see it that way, and maybe another way is possible, but if you want to keep those long trunks, I think you should at least correct the shape of the trunk on the right : it bends towars the inside, and crosses the line of the others. Perhaps just a wire or any trick to separtate a bit more the three trunks would help.

The tree in the middle grows like a fork, I think one of the branches should be removed (to me, the one on the right).

3troncs0.jpg

The three trunks look about the same girth, pruning, trimming, selective defoliation can perhaps help to have more differential in a few years' time. Which do you think should be the focus of the overall design ?

But try to picture yourself the t(h)ree in its "final" stage...

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I agree that multi trunk look good with thicker trunks but can still look good with taller, thinner trunks. If reduction is desired that can be done at any time in future.
The trunk lines pointed out by @AlainK is a far more important issue. It is often possible to find a better trunk line simply by rotating the whole tree a little so check that before going to the trouble of wire or pruning to correct the trunk lines. Simply taking out the heavy left top branch will make a big difference.
The middle trunk also has 2 heavy leaders. Very common for JM but does not look good so consider removing one of those too.
JM quickly develop bulges on trunks and branches where 2 or more branches or shoots grow close together or opposite. It is very important to prune rigorously, especially when young trees grow vigorously. There is no way to fix the problem after it has developed.

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The lowest of the 3 trunks had a black spot near a big cut that was extending in a worrying way. So I cut it to see what was happening and I didn't like it. This is a picture after the first cut. I preferred to clean it thoroughly, spray a fungicide and seal it. Hopefully the upper part will survive. If not, it's not too bad anyway.
IMG_20210423_191156__01.jpg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would consider cutting this down, all the way to where you do not have black in the trunk anymore. This is a typical sign of fungal infection in the floem.

Also, sharpen your tools. THe cuts you show here are a great way to breed problems.

Naturally, after working on this plant, all tools you have used are desinfected..

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would consider cutting this down, all the way to where you do not have black in the trunk anymore.
That's what I did @leatherback.
Also, sharpen your tools. THe cuts you show here are a great way to breed problems.
It was a thick trunk compared with the tool I have. I tried to have a smooth surface in the end.
Naturally, after working on this plant, all tools you have used are desinfected..
With alcohol.
Thanks for your tips. I'll try to be extra careful when pruning in the future. These funguses seem to be my worst enemy.

Top Bottom