New June pots listed

Ashley Keller

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi there! I've recently listed a few new pots for sale and wanted to share a few of my favourites here. Shipping available worldwide. Titles for each piece link out to my online store where you can find other pieces as well.

6.25" Rectangle Bonsai Pot

ashley-keller-bonsai-pot-29.jpg

Unglazed Red Clay 4.75" Round Semi-Cascade Bonsai Pot

ashley-keller-bonsai-pot-16.jpg

Specialty – Unglazed 5" Round Semi-Cascade Koi Fish Bonsai Pot

ashley-keller-bonsai-pot-1-2.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hell yeah!

Nice!

Sorce

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi there! I've recently listed a few new pots for sale and wanted to share a few of my favourites here. Shipping available worldwide. Titles for each piece link out to my online store where you can find other pieces as well.

Tempted to purchase and have a couple of pieces perhaps numbered as well as signed from the beginning so to speak. You mention Signed, but are they numbered? Also Pweese note what cone you fire them at as it is very important to know. High fired is most often preferred as they can withstand outdoors ;)

Grimmy

Ashley Keller

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi there! All of my bonsai pots are individually signed and numbered (except for some of the very small kusamono accent containers but this is noted in their descriptions).

My work is high fired to Cone 6 which is approximately 2250 degrees Fahrenheit. I've written a little page on the details of my creative process making bonsai pots here if you would like to read it https://www.ashleykeller.work/creative-process

If you have any other questions please let me know

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi there! All of my bonsai pots are individually signed and numbered (except for some of the very small kusamono accent containers but this is noted in their descriptions).

My work is high fired to Cone 6 which is approximately 2250 degrees Fahrenheit. I've written a little page on the details of my creative process making bonsai pots here if you would like to read it https://www.ashleykeller.work/creative-process

If you have any other questions please let me know
I'm not a potter, but isn't Cone 6 is a bit low for all weather bonsai pots?

Most North American bonsai potters aim for cone 9 frost-proof. I've had issues with lower fired pots crumbling, cracking and behaving weirdly even in my relatively mild winters. No problems at all with Cone 9 fired stuff.

Ashley Keller

Sapling
Reaction score
I'm not a potter, but isn't Cone 6 is a bit low for all weather bonsai pots?

Most North American bonsai potters aim for cone 9 frost-proof. I've had issues with lower fired pots crumbling, cracking and behaving weirdly even in my relatively mild winters. No problems at all with Cone 9 fired stuff.

From what I understand the cone level is less important than the amount of moisture absorption when discussing if a pot is frost proof. I only use high quality, commercial stoneware clays with an absorption rate of 2-3% depending on the clay body.

In this Bonsai Nut forum thread there's a great comment by mrcasey that explains:

"Cone 6 probably isn't going to be high enough for Zone 7 use in the U.S."
I've seen this statement made before on bonsai nut and it's a bit of a red herring.
The comments made in the linked ibc thread (which I started) also don't seem to back up the assertion.

If the concern is frost resistance, the cone at which the clay body matures is not
the issure. The issue is vitrification and the amount of moisture absorbed by the body
after it's been fired to its proper cone. A cone 5 clay fired to 2185 F that absorbs 1.5% is actually more frost resistant than a cone 10 body fired to 2381 F that absorbs 4%.

The bonsai potter Chuck Iker fires his pots to cone 5 using cone 5 clay. He has a little blurb on his website about moisture absorption and frost resistance. It looks like around 3% is acceptable.​

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The bonsai potter Chuck Iker fires his pots to cone 5 using cone 5 clay. He has a little blurb on his website about moisture absorption and frost resistance. It looks like around 3% is acceptable.

His pots easily withstand Zones 6 - 7 and others here have them in Zone 5. I have some that spent several winters here and they do fine.

Grimmy

Top Bottom