New Juni Material!!!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I posted some pics from earlier today, on another thread, but I wanted to show yall this one on a new thread, as well....with better pics now that I got home early!

This one is the same type of juniper as the one of mine that I think is a Grey Owl.
It has been sitting out in a parking lot, neglected for years.
$35...? Me happy boy!
KIMG1533.JPGKIMG1528.JPGKIMG1534.JPGKIMG1530.JPGKIMG1529.JPGKIMG1532.JPGKIMG1531.JPG
KIMG1533.JPGKIMG1528.JPGKIMG1534.JPGKIMG1530.JPGKIMG1529.JPGKIMG1532.JPGKIMG1531.JPG

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Before clean up...
View attachment 217739View attachment 217740
And I may have gotten a bit carried away, but it'll be fine.... the after clean up...
View attachment 217741View attachment 217742View attachment 217743View attachment 217744View attachment 217745View attachment 217746View attachment 217747View attachment 217748
It's gonna need a major angle change in spring, when I attempt an HBR procedure.
Should make an interesting tree.
Boy that looks like you went in *hard* - seems like you might have over done it?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Boy that looks like you went in *hard* - seems like you might have over done it?
Similar to the last one. We'll see.
can you bend a pre-jin?
Sure, but most of the oddly placed kind will be whittled down to little nubs.
Eventually half the trunk will be deadwood.

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
I posted some pics from earlier today, on another thread, but I wanted to show yall this one on a new thread, as well....with better pics now that I got home early!

This one is the same type of juniper as the one of mine that I think is a Grey Owl.
It has been sitting out in a parking lot, neglected for years.
$35...? Me happy boy!
View attachment 217226View attachment 217227View attachment 217228View attachment 217229View attachment 217230View attachment 217231View attachment 217232
View attachment 217226View attachment 217227View attachment 217228View attachment 217229View attachment 217230View attachment 217231View attachment 217232
That trunk movement is awesome! Don't forget to post your first structure pruning.
LeonardB

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Seeing the close ups, I like it. I will have to keep an eye out for 'grey owl' myself. it looks like decent bonsai-able juniper. I still don't think it is ''pure'' J. virginiana, and being some sort of hybrid would be a good thing.

I think you might have 'over did it', with the pruning, but who knows, maybe it will be okay. My suggestion would be to toss it out in the back yard and forget about it for 2019. No repotting. After that prune job, a true J. virginiana would be killed outright by a repot the same year. Now if it is one of the more tame juniper genetics, repotting the same year would be more a 50:50 or 60:40 or a 40:60 chance. I can't say for sure. Even if I had the tree in front of me I would not be able to say a repot in 2019 would be a good idea. Best hold off until 2020 for the repot. Don't do anything drastic after July 2019 for a planned May 2020 repot.

At least that would be my plan. I am not a ''juniper expert'', I've got a few, maybe 4 varieties, most in early stages. One 'Itoigawa' Shimpaku I've had for over 15 years, but I haven't repotted it in 10 years. I quit repotting junipers more than in dire necessity after killing a few off a decade ago. The 'Itoigawa' is in mostly granite grit, so the mix still drains freely. Every J. virginiana I repotted shortly after working on the (which made them worth the effort to keep watering) every one died. So if 'gray owl' is a true virginiana, it will resent being repotted. Roll into repotting with a strong plant, not a traumatized victim.

But I'm no expert, and good aftercare is essential. I might just be bad at growing junipers. So others may chime in an suggest you can get away with it.

Last edited:

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Seeing the close ups, I like it. I will have to keep an eye out for 'grey owl' myself. it looks like decent bonsai-able juniper. I still don't think it is ''pure'' J. virginiana, and being some sort of hybrid would be a good thing.

I think you might have 'over did it', with the pruning, but who knows, maybe it will be okay. My suggestion would be to toss it out in the back yard and forget about it for 2019. No repotting. After that prune job, a true J. virginiana would be killed outright by a repot the same year. Now if it is one of the more tame juniper genetics, repotting the same year would be more a 50:50 or 60:40 or a 40:60 chance. I can't say for sure. Even if I had the tree in front of me I would not be able to say a repot in 2019 would be a good idea. Best hold off until 2020 for the repot. Don't do anything drastic after July 2019 for a planned May 2020 repot.

At least that would be my plan. I am not a ''juniper expert'', I've got a few, maybe 4 varieties, most in early stages. One 'Itoigawa' Shimpaku I've had for over 15 years, but I haven't repotted it in 10 years. I quit repotting junipers more than in dire necessity after killing a few off a decade ago. The 'Itoigawa' is in mostly granite grit, so the mix still drains freely. Every J. virginiana I repotted shortly after working on the (which made them worth the effort to keep watering) every one died. So if 'gray owl' is a true virginiana, it will resent being repotted. Roll into repotting with a strong plant, not a traumatized victim.

But I'm no expert, and good aftercare is essential. I might just be bad at growing junipers. So others may chime in an suggest you can get away with it.
Thanks Leo!
I read once that it's a hybrid of J Virginana and J Chinensis.
I think the thing I like the most is its seeming tolerance of apples and pears nearby!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That trunk movement is awesome! Don't forget to post your first structure pruning.
LeonardB
Thanks.
I certainly will....
The next work will be root work however.
Gonna play it the same as the other one I have....worry about those roots and substrate first.
I did a major bare rooting on the other one because when I began digging in the rootball, it just fell apart...it was dry with many dead roots.
I think this one is not as dry, because it's been a very wet year...so I'm hoping to have a little more control over the repotting process this time...we'll see.
The other one didn't blink from the bare-rooting job, seemed to love it.
I don't want that sucess to make me over confident with this one, so I'm planning to attempt a Half Bare-Rooting.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
toss it out in the back yard and forget about it for 2019
This sounds like good advice!
The tree has been neglected completely for at least the last 7 years....a rest after a brutalization like that may be best.
Thanks again!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
virginiana, it will resent being repotted
The first one I did a very major bare root job with, planted into lava and pumice...didn't skip a beat, got healthier...and I did remove about 50% of the foliage around the same time.
Obviously I still agree with you and I also think this tree is in a poorer state that the last one was....but I figured I'd still just say that. ?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Howd she make out
Hey! Thanks for finding this thread! I couldn't remember it.
This link here is the rest if the story until now.
I will go ahead and post an update here too.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I hacked it back again....probably might have gone too far again, but it responded well last time.
Still not exactly sure what the final structure will look like, hoping to wire it out this winter and get something going.
20210915_193010.jpg20210915_193029.jpg20210918_191917.jpg20210918_191940.jpg20210918_192002.jpg

Top Bottom