New juniper can anyone ID?

tree4me

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I picked this up about a month ago and the health was suspect. It's looking better but will be a while before I do anything. It's planted in DE. Can anyone ID with pics of bark and foliage.
It's seems to be all new scale growth coming out. thanks for any input in advance.
IMG_0789.jpg IMG_0788.jpg IMG_0790.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Where did you pick it up?

Always tough to ID junipers particularly if they are in weak condition or have been in the shade. My guess is that it is a Hollywood juniper, Juniperus chinensis 'Torulosa', aka Juniperus chinensis 'Kaizuka', however I didn't think they were that common on the east coast(?) (For what it's worth, 'Kaizuka' is the proper name, but when these trees were planted extensively throughout Hollywood, people started referring to them as "Hollywood junipers". Not sure the source of the 'Torulosa' name, though that is what Monrovia and many other commercial nurseries are using nowadays).

tree4me

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where did you pick it up?
I got it from someone who was moving out of state. So I don't know where it originated from

My guess is that it is a Hollywood juniper, Juniperus chinensis 'Torulosa',
I hope that's correct. I want a few to try.

I have a few Parsons; this one could be one.
I have Parsons as well, doesn't look the same but as @Bonsai Nut said not being healthy could make it hard to tell

Top Bottom