New Juniper from Suthin

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Suthin has come and gone. It was an interesting weekend to say the least. But at least I have something out of it:

This shimpaku wasn't my first choice of material. I wouldn't have given it a second glance. I thought the bends were too regular and artificial. Suthin demonstrated this tree, removing what it didn't need, and used a branch clamp to squeeze the coils closer and closer together. The lack of copper wire was a problem, but when he finished, I was very impressed.

It's not a great tree, but it will make a satisfactory "second" tree in a three point display.

John Hill

Mame
Reaction score
Nice Chris!
What are your plans for it. A lot of shari work ahead? ;)

A Friend in bonsai
John

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, I will extend the jin at the top farther down the tree. It will go into a square unglazed pot.

Dale Cochoy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"The lack of copper wire was a problem"

Chris,
doesn't your club have wire, soil, screen available when traveling guests are on site and might need them?
I have run into this in the past and can never quite understand why?
Just curious.
Dale

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Dale,

I think Chris meant "pure" copper wire. Boon suggests such for the use on pines and conifers.

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it is a problem with many clubs. They had wire, but the only wire they seem to be able to use is aluminum, and that not very well, either. This should have been wired with copper for its superior holding power. Notice the way the guy wire circled has pulled the aluminum loop.

There are a number of reasons for using copper on trees like this. First is its superior holding power, as mentioned. The wire is more unobtrusive, and this is especially good for trees that are wired for show. Plus it tends to stay on the tree longer than for deciduous trees that grow so quickly.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Copper wire is copper wire unless it comes from Korea. Jim Gremel uses copper wire meant to be used in the building trade. He buys ground wire in spools. Ground wire is just plain ole copper wire for electrical purposes without insulation.

The copper wire from Korea has impurities in it making it an alloy. It is much more brittle after annealing. Two years ago Home Depot was getting some building wire from Korea and it was terrible. Copper has slowed down some as well as construction in general and domestic wire is much more prevelent now.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chris, I like the tree in some respects and some are hard to over come. While I like the squashed juniper effect, I dislike when they seem to be wound around a stick as this seems to be. Do you know if this is an import or the work of Suthin?

Here is Jim Gremels tree from the REBS exhibit. I like this in that it has some playfullness in the trunk structure. I am sure that Boon will have some ideas and it will be a good tree to play with.

Cheers, Al

Reaction score
USDA Zone
...not mixed with any other substance
...free from contamination: clean and free from impurities
Will

Well that's the dictionary definition and what I thought you meant, but it threw me off because all copper wire is "pure" in that sense, as far as I know.

(Edited this after reading Al's post above. So much for responding as I read them!)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Copper wire is copper wire unless it comes from Korea. Jim Gremel uses copper wire meant to be used in the building trade. He buys ground wire in spools. Ground wire is just plain ole copper wire for electrical purposes without insulation.

The copper wire from Korea has impurities in it making it an alloy. It is much more brittle after annealing. Two years ago Home Depot was getting some building wire from Korea and it was terrible. Copper has slowed down some as well as construction in general and domestic wire is much more prevelent now.

Thanks, Al, that's all new information to me!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chris, I like the tree in some respects and some are hard to over come. While I like the squashed juniper effect, I dislike when they seem to be wound around a stick as this seems to be. Do you know if this is an import or the work of Suthin?

Here is Jim Gremels tree from the REBS exhibit. I like this in that it has some playfullness in the trunk structure. I am sure that Boon will have some ideas and it will be a good tree to play with.

Cheers, Al

This one is Suthin's work, and it does have that corkscrew look. I wish I had a couple of junipers with that kind of natural twist and turn.

Top Bottom