New juniper in the middle of winter

BigGear88

Seed
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm one of those people that got a bonsai for Christmas. The good news is I always wanted one.... The bad news is I don't know much about them. I didn't realize juniper bonsai went dorment during winter or they aren't indoor trees. So my biggest question is should I move my bonsai out side now being January in lower Michigan? Or should I move it to the garage like I've read some people do? Not sure if the tree would go into shock going from warm to cold so fast.

Attachments

• 20180102_112818.jpg
    20180102_112818.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 72

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Not outside until spring freezes are done. The best place until then would be on the windowsill of a southerly facing window in a cold room.

BigGear88

Seed
Reaction score
Limited light with the winter weather, with the tree being dorment I dont need to get a light correct? Also my house doesn't have any windows facing the south in basement where it's around 65 degrees. So its upstairs in a window....

Little off topic but is it ok to transfer the tree to a different pot in winter or is there a better time? Would like to get a shallow rectangle pot. I find them more appealing.

Thanks for any input.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Limited light with the winter weather, with the tree being dorment I dont need to get a light correct? Also my house doesn't have any windows facing the south in basement where it's around 65 degrees. So its upstairs in a window....

Little off topic but is it ok to transfer the tree to a different pot in winter or is there a better time? Would like to get a shallow rectangle pot. I find them more appealing.

Thanks for any input.

Welcome to the site! It helps a lot if you put your location in your profile, because we can give more specific advice.

When you say your tree is "dormant" why do you think that? Did the person who purchased the tree for you as a gift get it from an outdoor nursery where it was out in the cold? That tree doesn't look dormant to me - junipers when they are dormant in the winter don't have that bright green color or look so soft. If it wasn't out in the cold, it isn't dormant, so you need to treat it like a houseplant this winter and give it the most direct light you can until spring. Don't worry about keeping it cold - it doesn't need it for this winter.

Don't repot your tree until the spring. However check to make sure the soil drains. Does that pot have a drainage hole? It almost looks like a coffee cup :) Make sure when you water that the water flows out the bottom :)

BigGear88

Seed
Reaction score
I'm from West Michigan, my tree came from a local grocery store. So no it has never been out side. I just assumed the tree would be dormant for some reason. Just been reading articles from the internet trying to figure things out. I've found from others hobbies not everything on the web is tree.

My pot does have a drainage hole and yes it looks like a coffee pot.

BigGear88

Seed
Reaction score
I'm from West Michigan, my tree came from a local grocery store. So no it has never been out side. I just assumed the tree would be dormant for some reason. Just been reading articles from the internet trying to figure things out. I've found from others hobbies not everything on the web is true.

My pot does have a drainage hole and yes it looks like a coffee pot.

Top Bottom