new juniper (Shimpaku) bonsai owner - few questions

matt94gt

Seedling
Reaction score
I have always loved bonsais and decided to get my first one by a well known bonsai shop. Its apparently about 12 years old.

I live on the west coast of Canada (Vancouver Island) and I would really love to have it indoors sometimes. Now I was told I could train it to be indoors a few days a week, I was told to bring it in for two days, then out for 5.

At night it gets to about 3-7*C (37-42*F) around here, sometimes dipping a bit below that in the winter. I have it in the corner of my condo close to a window, we dont use the heater on that side of the condo so it stays fairly cool, I would say about 12-16*C (55-61*F).

Now since its in the winter months I imagine its used to that cold and should stay in it, at the store he did have to bring them in at night obviously but it was not a heated area.

Im wondering if I should just keep it outdoors and wait until Spring to start training it so the temperature fluctuations arnt as extreme?

My other concern is the only place I can leave it outside is on my deck, which is covered (the part that worries me, so it will never get direct sun) but it does face south west and is fairly bright with regular afternoon (4hrs) sun in the spring/summer.

Also I was told to mist it once a week, with water with a drop of dishsoap? Keep the soil moist at all times generally watering daily and it does not NEED any fertilizer but some use them.

I am hoping some people can chime in on some of this for me, as I do love this bonsai and it was not too cheap I want to make sure its lasts for ever. My only concern really right now is if I should just leave it out, even though it gets fairly cold then start to bring it in the odd time in the spring/summer.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to learning lots.

Last edited:

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Outside year round in good sunlight not shade. You can bring it in one day a month and it'll be ok. But bringing it in 2 days a week may break the dormancy period it needs over winter. Once it's rootball freezes in the winter it's best to leave it frozen. The freeze /thaw/freeze/thaw all the time is bad for all plants. Consistency is best.

During the winter don't fertilize, you won't need to water often either. Only water when the soil
Is dry.

Last edited:

matt94gt

Seedling
Reaction score
Ok I put it back outside, it has not dipped below freezing, coldest this plant has seen this winter has probably been 3*c/37*f.

Is this "freezeball" a bad thing, if its going to be an extremely cold night is it better to bring it in and leave in near a window in a unheated room for the night?

ps: here is a picture

WctDd.jpg

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did the well known bonsai shop give you all the care instructions? Where did you buy it?
There's a fair bit of miss information on your care instructions. Here is a link with some basic info: http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/bonsaip.htm

Welcome it Bonsai Nut. Good luck with the tree.

Last edited:

matt94gt

Seedling
Reaction score
He went over everything in person with me, now when I say well known where I live there are only a few people that sell them the other two I did not get a good vibe from nor did I like the look of their bonsais. Also after looking him up online there were a few positive reviews. He did not recommend having it indoors at all but said it can be done but doesnt recommend it, if you do it gradually but to never have it inside longer then 2 days.

Obviously me being me, I want to do my own research which is why I am here so any tips I'd greatly appreciate, or if anyone can recommend a good book I can pickup from the library would be great as well.

I checked out your link, thanks, ill try that chopstick method to maybe help me to begin with. Can anyone recommend a fertilizer, that article says full strength but another I read said half strength...?

Last edited:

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Leave it outdoors. A little freeze isn't going to hurt it. Cold dormancy is a good thing for conifers. Besides, I've always looked at it this way;

Trees and all other plants have been around many years before man, and his climate-controlled homes came into the picture. They all originate outdoors, and that's basically where you want to keep them. I mean yes, trees are living creatures, but it shouldn't be compared to that of a newborn puppy or something.;)

Maybe some of the more experienced members can chime in, and give you some more advice. In the meantime, I recommend searching the forum for juniper care. There is a ton of information here.

Goodluck!
Q

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
http://shikoku.ca/
http://www.japanbonsai.com/ (Surrey)

For future trees the above places are good choices for bonsai in your area.

Tons of info here, try the search feature to do your research. Lots of threads on books and Juniper. Your tree does need full sun light in the summer months outside so you'll have to find a place other then your shaded deck. Vancouver is a good place for growing trees and lots of active bonsai people around. The site I linked to earlier has mountains of info.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
If you have an unheated garage you can put it in during weeks that drop down into the teens that would be a good idea this year since it may have been inside for awhile. Otherwise leave it outside and water sparingly in the winter, juniper likes to dry out inbetween waterings.

matt94gt

Seedling
Reaction score
No heated garage. Thanks for the tips. I could just maybe wrap he pot with a towel on those cold nights.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
No heated garage. Thanks for the tips. I could just maybe wrap he pot with a towel on those cold nights.

If you feel you must cover it at night get yourself a rubbermaid ctn or trashcan and put a brick on it. Honest though it is not uncommon to see ours covered in snow for days at 19-20f. One note though - that is how we raised it. A good example of what I am getting at is I almost bought a Chinese Elm 9 years old with a nice bend - I refrained from the purchase because it was raised in such a fashion the distributor was selling it as an indoor plant. We simply have to take to many tropicals in at this time and although that Elm is normally ok outside that one was not. :eek:

matt94gt

Seedling
Reaction score
Great everyone thanks a bunch. So anyone know of a great off the top of their head book I can take out at the library to do some more reading?

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This book is good for beginners. I believe the author, Colin Lewis, is Graham Potter's mentor. If you get the chance to check out his Youtube videos you'll be amazed.

matt94gt

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

It's supposed to get to -3*c over the next few days overnight. I was thinking of wrapping the pot in a towel as I read somewhere. I could also put it my 2nd unheated bedroom (gets to about 10*c) at night by the windows but I'm afraid of bringing it inside when its been exposed to near freezing nights lately.

I'm more so worried as its a small plant, am I just over worried and should just leave it outside?

Now for watering I have not watered it in 5 days as the soil still seems moist and I'm afraid to give it water if it does not need it due to freezing etc. thoughts? How often should a juniper the size of mine need water in the cold winter?

Thanks again for all the tips.

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You should read the link I gave for Evergreen Gardens. It'll give you all the info needed.
The worst thing to due would be bringing it back in and out. It needs it's dormancy period. As for watering, if it is moist it should be fine. When you have a warmer spell make sure you water it. You don't seem to have many options other then your deck so I'd leave it out there covered with a bucket of some sort, maybe insulate it from the cold cement with something. The ground in your area would be the better then a apt. deck, it acts like a insulator from the cold.

Lots of unknown variables regarding the prior history/care of the tree for anyone to give you an exact step by step of what you should do. You have pretty mild weather there and it sounds like it's been outside acclimatizing to the cold, so it should be fine. Quit stressing and get researching. Have fun!

matt94gt

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, I'd love to put it out in the garden area on the earth but I just can't trust if out there. I have it off the cold patio floor it's on a plastic side table. Near the glass sides protected from any wind. I do have a underground garage I could also put it in under a bucket so no one takes it. It gets cold down there bit not as cold as outside.

Also when you say to put a bucket over it is that just for night/the cold as I assume it needs light during the day? It's just to help keep the cold off right?

According to that article I only have to be concerned if it reaches -10*C. Also that they need about 40 days below or around 4*C. Now the only reason I am concerned is I don't know the past of the bonsai and I don't know if it was properly prepared.

Last edited:

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi Matt,
Lots of advise has been given. I wouldn't be too concnerned yet...all of my trees are still outside except my smallest trees and or trees in reall shallow pots (mini shohins).....and I'm living on the Island too.
I've sent you a private message (check the notifcation tab at the top of the screen) for some other info.
Cheers
Graham

Top Bottom