new juniper

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
so i decided to get another juniper to accompany my only other one i have managed to keep alive. i think i got it now hopefully! i have only trimmed this guy i will not repot until spring unless somesays something different.

halfway through trim

2011-09-11_21-42-54_0.jpg

all trimmed up for now

2011-09-12_08-01-36_566.jpg

2011-09-12_08-02-00_171.jpg

comments welcome

thanks,

Will B.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello will0911..nice little tree. Good branch placement. Have you thought about putting some movement into the trunk. In my opinion, it would really improve this tree. Wiring the trunk to create movement and also wiring and bending the branches so they swoop down a bit can complletely change the look of a tree. Maybe even tilt the tree to the right. This will create the first bend in the trunk without having to bend it very much.

I believe that in 1-2 more years, you might not be happy with the current look of the tree. Also, while the tree is still young, it is a good time to create movement.

Rob

Here is a virt of what I see.

Attachments

• Copy of Copy of 2011-09-12_08-01-36_566[1].jpg
    Copy of Copy of 2011-09-12_08-01-36_566[1].jpg
    36 KB · Views: 45

atonalkeb

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
so i decided to get another juniper to accompany my only other one i have managed to keep alive. i think i got it now hopefully! i have only trimmed this guy i will not repot until spring unless somesays something different.

halfway through trim

2011-09-11_21-42-54_0.jpg

all trimmed up for now

2011-09-12_08-01-36_566.jpg

2011-09-12_08-02-00_171.jpg

comments welcome

thanks,

Will B.

Hello will0911..nice little tree. Good branch placement. Have you thought about putting some movement into the trunk. In my opinion, it would really improve this tree. Wiring the trunk to create movement and also wiring and bending the branches so they swoop down a bit can complletely change the look of a tree. Maybe even tilt the tree to the right. This will create the first bend in the trunk without having to bend it very much.

I believe that in 1-2 more years, you might not be happy with the current look of the tree. Also, while the tree is still young, it is a good time to create movement.

Rob

Here is a virt of what I see.

Hi and that is a cool virtual Rob, did you make a program to do that? -- I have several very small Junipers and I have to agree that they are very easy to wire (as I am a beginner anyway :p ) - I wondered if it would be a good thing to wait a few years before wiring or to do it early on. I also am now wondering if I have the right species Juniper. Will's looks very much like mine do, but I don't know the species name of mine - I found them in a nursery here that was going out of business and bought like 9 plants from them.
But (I ramble alot) your tree looks good now but I would definitely mull over that virt of Rob's

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Thanks Rob! I like that vert alot! I will definately use it as a guide in the future. I knew the trunk was straight but wasn't sure where to go...now I do! Thanks

Will B.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I am glad you like the virt will0911.. Given some time, this could become a nice little shihin.. It will probably take about 6-7 more years though.

Hello atonalkeb.. I believe you have a japanese garden juniper..Will has a juniperus squamata or blue star juniper. One is not necessarilly better than the other. However, it is Shimpaku juniper that seems to be the best and most untilized juniper in bonsai.

Rob

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Rob I appreciate your time making the virt. Hopefully repotting next year will reveal a bigger trunk below the soil line.

Top Bottom