New JWP. Long and leggy:(

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Next step should be repot or cut back long legs? 8BA4BCBE-3249-477D-8FC5-D509E3CEC065.jpeg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
These are grafted trees and only a few years old. Cutting them back now would weaken them severely. I wouldn't do anything to them for at least a few years other then maybe an up potting next winter. I think you may find these hard to grow in your locale. JWP are alpine trees and appreciate a cool/cold winter. I was surprised to find that they actually do well here in the metro Atlanta area... but... we are at 1000 ft elevation here and do have cooler winter weather and cooler summer weather. Fwiw, I bet JBP would grow like weeds for you. Good luck.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ditto, except with no R and W.

Sorce

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Go

I'm just kidding though, I just hate grafts.

Gotta be careful not to get excited by Japanese names.

Sorce
I don’t care for them either. When I ordered them I didn’t realize that’s what I was getting. Disappointing to say the least

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don’t care for them either. When I ordered them I didn’t realize that’s what I was getting. Disappointing to say the least

Well hell! That's a good way to get em! Cuz you don't have to directly blame yourself and you still have them!

You do have to blame yourself for buying sight unseen.
Beware the Stock images and fine print!

If you need reputable services, always always always ask a Nut first!

Cheers!

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Because of the high grafts, and because of the long distance between the nebari and first branch, these would have to be pretty tall trees.

I would normally advise you to take some heavy wire and put some curves in the trunks, putting a branch on the outside of the curve, but those grafts still look somewhat fragile, and I’m afraid you might accidentally bust them.

All that said, @Dav4 is correct: you’re way too far south to expect JWPto thrive. Atlanta is about as far south as we can expect JWP to tolerate.

You probably can’t return these, so plant them in the yard, giving them a very well draining soil. Plant them so the trunk is at an angle, not straight up. Who knows? In 5 years or so, you might find you got lucky!

Next time, go for JBP for your climate. They would do spectacular. And just go for JBP seedlings, not a special cultivar. A cultivar will be grafted.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You were had🤪! See if someone else at local club wants them.

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Another consideration would be to plant them in large planter pots/containers. Allow them to develop for a number of years and enjoy them for their unique structure and color. You'll have much better control over their environmental condition survival and can always sell them later for niwaki use.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You were had🤪! See if someone else at local club wants them.
So, knowing that they’re really not suitable for the OP’s climate, and they’re not really suitable for bonsai, you want the OP to pass these along to someone else in his club?

Top Bottom