New JWP needles browning

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This tree was an impulse buy purchased online based on poor photos. I did not see the flaws at the time (wire scarring, whorled branches, ugly graft, etc) but figured it would be a learning experience for me once I realized what I had done.

Anyhow, the purpose of my post is to ask advice on the browning of the needles and candles shown in this photo:

0615211748.jpg

It's been HOT here this week, over 100F every day, and I foolishly put the tree out in full sun after unboxing. The heat wave will continue probably for at least the rest of the month.

So, does anybody think I have inevitably killed this tree? Would it just be compounding my foolishness to now move into the shade? I would hate to see it die.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It looks a little scalded, but far from dead. You should protect it from direct sun while it hopefully recovers. The thing that worries me most is the soil... it might just be my imagination but it appears to be covered with mildew(?) How have you been watering? Is the soil in good condition?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It looks a little scalded, but far from dead. You should protect it from direct sun while it hopefully recovers. The thing that worries me most is the soil... it might just be my imagination but it appears to be covered with mildew(?) How have you been watering? Is the soil in good condition?

Haha, definitely not mildew, although I can see how it could look like it. There is moss on the soil, and the seller shipped the tree wrapped in moist paper towels, so the towels ended up welding to the moss. I removed as much as I could...now I am just relying on watering to eventually disintegrate the paper.

Top Bottom