New JWP turning completely brown?

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have seen that seller on eBay..so glad I didn't pull the trigger and get one when I lived up north.

Rick

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Droping a few needles is natural, doipping many designates a problem, and dropping all of them designates mortality. Some people have no problems with the White Pine others cannot keep them alive. I hate to add this caveate because I really hate thinking someone has been ripped off but this is the reason I do not buy anything off Ebay, at least trees.

TONY MAMOUZELOS

Sapling
Reaction score
I did not sell the tree, so there's nothing for me to straighten out. I'm not sure what you are getting at Vance.
Don you are absolutely correct that's absolutely the same seller, not the same tree, I didn't get any FedEx insurance and the one I bought was smaller. I contacted them before I posted negative feedback on Ebay, but they were unwilling to do anything. They said to much time had passed, so it's a $300 lesson learned. But at least word is getting out. Thanks to you, much appreciated!!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, that's definitely an autopsy candidate at this point.

I may have missed it, but why not tell us the name of the ebay seller? Sounds like he has a history of problems.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I did not sell the tree, so there's nothing for me to straighten out. I'm not sure what you are getting at Vance.
That is exactly my point Don, the way I was reading all of this you in fact did sell the tree. I did not think it was so we have talked enough that I believe you are beyond and above this kind of selling tactic, but thanks for taking the time to reply.
Don you are absolutely correct that's absolutely the same seller, not the same tree, I didn't get any FedEx insurance and the one I bought was smaller. I contacted them before I posted negative feedback on Ebay, but they were unwilling to do anything. They said to much time had passed, so it's a $300 lesson learned. But at least word is getting out. Thanks to you, much appreciated!!
Sorry Tony.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Who put the wires on?
This, sorry, was a nice tree, but not show ready. I can't believe it's a consequence of shipping.

TONY MAMOUZELOS

Sapling
Reaction score
Who put the wires on?
This, sorry, was a nice tree, but not show ready. I can't believe it's a consequence of shipping.
The tree came to me wired that way. I did repot it about a week after I got it. Put it in a comparable size pot, didn't do anything to the roots, just lifted it out of the ugly plastic pot placed it in the pot you see in the picture. Other than that it's been in morning sun afternoon shade, and watered every morning. Hope it wasn't something I did, I am new to this.

TONY MAMOUZELOS

Sapling
Reaction score
Yes that's definitely the guy, do others have a story to tell?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
The tree came to me wired that way. I did repot it about a week after I got it. Put it in a comparable size pot, didn't do anything to the roots, just lifted it out of the ugly plastic pot placed it in the pot you see in the picture. Other than that it's been in morning sun afternoon shade, and watered every morning. Hope it wasn't something I did, I am new to this.
I wouldn't have re-potted in NY in early August, even if it was just to swap pots...you still end up messing with the roots, if only a bit. Did you see fat, white tipped roots when you re-potted? If you did, the tree was alive and growing at that point. If not, who knows...

Last edited:

jcrossett

Chumono
Reaction score
That things dead.

Sorry for your lesson.

For future you should always buy cheap material to learn how to care for it before dropping such a large sum on money.

Can we get a seller name for a warning.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Can we get a seller name for a warning.

This one's a tough call. I wish Tony had some photos of when he received it. Had he received it in good (alive) condition, I would have said the seller might be guilty of marketing fluffery - but it WAS a white pine and I would say it was "ok" pre-bonsai condition. The wiring is a joke, branch selection needs work, but I would easily pay $100 for it.

jcrossett

Chumono
Reaction score
@Bonsai Nut I agree but was wondering maybe the seller is buying trees marking them up and shipping to others.

I wanted to look him up and see what he has and see if I can find it else where.

That many says in shipping is not good but can still be saved that's why I added this:

For future you shouldalways buy cheap material to learn how to care for it before dropping such a large sum on money.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
White pines are definitely fussy trees. I learned that really well this past year and nearly killed my tree had I continued poor watering and repotting practices. After a full year of care and fungal treatment I can confidently say the tree is healthy and fairly vigorous.

Spending 8 days in transit was definitely bad for the tree. How was it packaged? Was the soil dry when you received it? As mentioned repotting at this time of year would of been rough for the tree.

Top Bottom