New Kaneshin Tools

NickUK

Seedling
Reaction score
I appreciate a lot of people have bought Kaneshin on here, so I'll keep it brief.....

These are my first bonsai tools (outside of some generic made in Japan large handled shears)

Didn't go all out initially, but went for the basics.

The most impressive thing, is Kaneshin shipped on Tuesday, and they arrived at my doorstep on Thursday morning.

Appreciate being excited by logistics is very un-cool...... But I was impressed none the less.

Super service throughout, and the tools look and feel exquisite.

Especially happy with the Blue Steel 35D shears - The matte finish makes them feel beautiful to hold (where as most other ones I've seen/held, have a shiny/smooth coating).

Overall, couldn't be happier!

3116764E-84B2-4CB6-8831-0701F5A00B51.jpeg
64FBC951-3186-4E3C-AC59-72D48234109E.jpeg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I appreciate a lot of people have bought Kaneshin on here, so I'll keep it brief.....

These are my first bonsai tools (outside of some generic made in Japan large handled shears)

Didn't go all out initially, but went for the basics.

The most impressive thing, is Kaneshin shipped on Tuesday, and they arrived at my doorstep on Thursday morning.

Appreciate being excited by logistics is very un-cool...... But I was impressed none the less.

Super service throughout, and the tools look and feel exquisite.

Especially happy with the Blue Steel 35D shears - The matte finish makes them feel beautiful to hold (where as most other ones I've seen/held, have a shiny/smooth coating).

Overall, couldn't be happier!

View attachment 317846
View attachment 317847
Love those little green boxes, they add a nice touch and a bit of excitement each time they arrive!
I like to use a little emery cloth with mineral oil to clean and then dry with a cloth. Great for a damp climate like mine.
Enjoy the new toys!

NickUK

Seedling
Reaction score
Nice! Maybe a larger pair of scissors....don't let you fingers try to bite off more than the tool can "chew".
'Nother lil' green box in the mail would be nice, right?:cool:

I have some generic “made in Japan” butterfly handle large shears from when I first started (it was the one tool I bought that I could probably do the most with).

I was tempted to get the large, long handled shears from Kaneshin, but realistically, for how many trees I have right now, it’s just not worth it.

I’ll probably do another order next year for them, along with some pliers and a knob cutter!

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
Nice tools. You bought from a japanese website ?
I already bought some products from Japan, and my interlocutors in the mails have always been very nice and willing to satisfy me, even when i changed my mind on a tool.

I prefer scissors with larger handle rings because it is more comfortable

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
ok, I never bought from them. i usually buy my Kaneshin tools, books & my pots from a friend in Japan. And if she dosen't have the product in her Ebay store, i buy it from www.j-bonsai.com (this seller has a lot of products (Masakuni etc) but no Kaneshin)

NickUK

Seedling
Reaction score
Nice tools. You bought from a japanese website ?
I already bought some products from Japan, and my interlocutors in the mails have always been very nice and willing to satisfy me, even when i changed my mind on a tool.

I prefer scissors with larger handle rings because it is more comfortable

I wasn't sure whether to get large handles or not - I have 1 pair of large handled "general" pruning shears (the typical Bonsai type).

I like them, but find them a bit fatiguing if doing a lot of small cuts - The smaller handled ones that arrived are absolutely perfect for that (and I now have large handles for bigger cuts and small handles for general pruning).

I bought direct from Kaneshin - The website is a bit dated, but the overall service was excellent.

I also struggle to get deliveries in the UK within 48 hours, so for it to come direct from Kaneshin in Japan to my little village within 48 hours is astounding!

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
Ok, i have also scissors with small handles but i never use them lol because i'm not a fan of the "grip". I have also large handles masakuni stainless scissors, that are so perfectly handmade that i don't dare using them lol..... I still use my old japanese "medium quality" scissors & branch cutters.

How much are the import taxes in the UK ?
In France it is huge : 30%

NickUK

Seedling
Reaction score
Ok, i have also scissors with small handles but i never use them lol because i'm not a fan of the "grip". I have also large handles masakuni stainless scissors, that are so perfectly handmade that i don't dare using them lol..... I still use my old japanese "medium quality" scissors & branch cutters.

How much are the import taxes in the UK ?
In France it is huge : 30%

I seriously considered Masakuni for that "heritage" - But I just couldn't come close to justifying the price (for my skill level and the trees I have).

Which Masakuni scissors do you have (got a pic)?

Customs/Handling was 20% - I actually didn't mind that - The overall cost wasn't too much more than you can buy Ryuga in the UK (and from what I hear, the Kaneshin should be MILES better than Ryuga, which are still very good).

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
Yes "High quality" Chinese scissors are far away from "medium quality" Japanese tools, in terms of "finish" imo (i mean that the quality of Japanese tools is higher than Chinese tools). I have Ryuga stainless scissors too but i can see that it is a "chain made" product in factory. There are parallel line on the edges of the blades which shows that it has been "machine sharpened". Those Chinese tools do the job (they cut ^^) but i prefer having Japanese tools in my hand.

I have those Masakuni scissors SS-002 : https://j-bonsai.com/en/product/長柄剪定鋏/ I bought them for pleasure because i found their shape nice

Masakuni is expensive but they are the only factory (as far as i know) to produce particular products (for example large trunks splitter or large root cutter or trunk benders (jacks). I bought from them a very long trunk splitter (50cm) for big pine branches in the wild that i plan to remove in a natural way. The blades are very hard . I think they are made in hardened steel. You can see the SS-002 scissors on the right
pinces masakuni.JPG

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
but i prefer having Japanese tools in my hand.
It is odd how you feel the quality isn't it? I was working a tree at a friends place recently, did not have tools as I did not expect to work his trees. But well.. What you do for a beer ;). In any case, at some point I just had to ask, where did he get hist tools. Felt solid, reliable. And yes. Masakuni.

NickUK

Seedling
Reaction score
Yes "High quality" Chinese scissors are far away from "medium quality" Japanese tools, in terms of "finish" imo (i mean that the quality of Japanese tools is higher than Chinese tools). I have Ryuga stainless scissors too but i can see that it is a "chain made" product in factory. There are parallel line on the edges of the blades which shows that it has been "machine sharpened". Those Chinese tools do the job (they cut ^^) but i prefer having Japanese tools in my hand.

I have those Masakuni scissors SS-002 : https://j-bonsai.com/en/product/長柄剪定鋏/ I bought them for pleasure because i found their shape nice

Yeah that shape is the only thing I'm missing as far as shears are going.

But at that cost, I really couldn't justify it!

Having played around with the Kaneshin scissors this morning, I actually prefer the handle on these compared to the bigger butterfly ones.

Seem to be able to get more control (well, I do anyway). Also very comfortable.

I'll get the Kaneshin ones next year probably (below)

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
It is odd how you feel the quality isn't it?
I have japanese "medium quality" scissors, Ryuga scissors & Masakuni scissors. I'd say that the contact (friction/cohesion) beetwen blades is different. The masakuni friction/cohesion between blades is perfect and the Ryuga friction is far more loose and approximate. The friction beetwen the handles is different too. The blades of Japanese "medium quality" scissors cut longer (than Ryuga) correctly before i have to sharpen them again but the Ryuga is stainless steel so it may be the reason why it dulls quicker

ps : Ryan Neil uses his scissors to cut his wires in his Mirai videos. He said that this type of scissors (with very hard and solid blades) used by Kimura and other pro isn't made anymore in Japan (if i understood correctly ^^) So he said that we shouldn't try to do the same with our scissors :rolleyes:

Mr. Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
I had never heard of the tool brand "Kaneshin" but since I am new to the bonsai thing I have been lurking around and have been reading about Kaneshin tools that other forum members have posted about, etc. and they sound as though they are high quality-durable made tools.

I must say that these Kaneshin tools do look nice and the quality shows (just from looking at the pictures). So they must be as good as they look.
Thanks for posting and sharing!
Kaneshin tools .jpegKaneshin tools II.jpeg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I must say that these Kaneshin tools do look nice and the quality shows (just from looking at the pictures). So they must be as good as they look.
I would not recommend judging the quality of tools by pictures.

Top Bottom