New lace rock

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I bought a new lace rock today for use as a rock planting. Roughly 20"x12"x7". At $68 it was a little pricier than I was expecting (didn't know the price until I got it to the register) but I really like it. It has lots of holes already but I plan to do a little drilling, too, for anchor wires and improved drainage.

20180310_142212.jpg

20180310_142224.jpg

20180310_142235.jpg

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lace rock breaks when drilling,its not like tufa,nice rock

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
To run anchor wires and for drainage.

I'm also confused now because I tried to research it and it seems "lace rock" is a common name for several different kinds of rock so I don't know what this really is...

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I bought a new lace rock today for use as a rock planting. Roughly 20"x12"x7". At $68 it was a little pricier than I was expecting (didn't know the price until I got it to the register) but I really like it. It has lots of holes already but I plan to do a little drilling, too, for anchor wires and improved drainage.

View attachment 181021

View attachment 181022

View attachment 181024
Like it. What are you thinking for it?

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a raw Juniper holger that I was originally going to style this year and repot next year but now I'm thinking do it all at once and plant it in this. It's virile nursery stock so should be able to take a styling and root pruning without missing a beat.

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
To run anchor wires and for drainage.

I'm also confused now because I tried to research it and it seems "lace rock" is a common name for several different kinds of rock so I don't know what this really is...
Check that it's not limestone. That stuff looks rather similar to the honeycomb limestone you can find down in Texas.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It could be but I have some of the "honeycomb limestone" and this looks completely different.

I've read some people have success drilling lace rock and others don't so that's part of my thinking in that they had different types of rock. I actually have had pretty good luck in the past with drilling rock and not using a hammer drill. I'm going to give it a go on the non-essential side and see what happens.

I do think it is necessary to have some drainage on the fat end because that's the deepest spot and where I'm planning to plant. In the one picture you can see the water pooling so I wouldn't want that to stagnate there.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Drilling went just fine until my bit got too dull. Same bit I drilled granite with last year so not unexpected. I got three holes in it before it gave out. No major cracking issues though there was some flaking on the back side where the bit came out but that's to be expected as well.

I'll get some new bits next weekend and back to work on it.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's not just for anchor wire. This particular rock has pockets and I was concerned there could be sitting water so this ensures they drain. Plug I don't trust epoxy to hold secure.

Top Bottom