New Large Lodgepole Pine

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Awesome!

Are you planning to keep it Lodgepole? Or graft onto it?

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’ve been on the 10 for 1 upgrade for the last few years. I used to have 130+ trees. Now I have less than 70, but much better quality. I’d like to get down to 40-50 really great trees.
I imagine that's a two fold benefit, better trees and more time to devote to them. I have been doing exactly the same thing only on a beginner scale

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I imagine that's a two fold benefit, better trees and more time to devote to them. I have been doing exactly the same thing only on a beginner scale

Ha.....we're maybe like 30 for 1!!;):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Since this one is a bit above my paygrade and needs a few "tools" not yet in my bag of tricks, I'll look forwards to an update in the future!!
First image is pretty striking, I must say. Even if you can keep the foliage "in the ballpark" of it's current size, that would be awesome.:cool::cool::cool:
Last image made a muscle in my back tighten-up......captures the scale.
Proceed with a smile......:):):):):)

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think the lodgepole foliage is great especially after dealing with Ponderosa foliage for years. The tree is big and the foliage small, so I’m guessing I’ll leave it.
It’s for sure is better than Ponderosa!

Now it’s a matter of getting branches where you want them.

On my two trunks, there were no good branches. All the foliage was too far away from the trunk. So, grafting was necessary to put branches where they were needed. Then, the choice became whether to graft with Lodgepole, or something else.

For my trees, the decision was made for “something else”. Interestingly, the two trees were both grafted at roughly the same time, a little over 20 years ago, by two different artists. Both chose JWP. Actually, they are two different cultivars, but have many similarities. One is a little tighter tufted than the other.

Your tree looks like a fun project!

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I need to read more threads like this to soften my hoarder mentality.
Big and beautiful!
Time for a trade up for me.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It’s for sure is better than Ponderosa!

Now it’s a matter of getting branches where you want them.

On my two trunks, there were no good branches. All the foliage was too far away from the trunk. So, grafting was necessary to put branches where they were needed. Then, the choice became whether to graft with Lodgepole, or something else.

For my trees, the decision was made for “something else”. Interestingly, the two trees were both grafted at roughly the same time, a little over 20 years ago, by two different artists. Both chose JWP. Actually, they are two different cultivars, but have many similarities. One is a little tighter tufted than the other.

Your tree looks like a fun project!
Any pics?

Top Bottom