New Liquidamber (Orientalis)

carobone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Good evening to all,

Just picked up this Chinese Sweetgum from a local nursery today. The root mass expanded itself and pushes the tree about an inch or so over the top of the pot. I plan to leave things as is and wait until early Spring to do some root work and repot, but thought that I show a few pictures here to see if my plan is sound and if there are any comments. I plan to do some thinning out of the foliage to get better lighting to the interior part of the tree in a week or so, to give the tree a chance to get acclimated to the new surrounding.

Regards, Vince

Attachments

• IMG_1315.jpg
    IMG_1315.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_1312.jpg
    IMG_1312.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 185
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good evening to all,

Just picked up this Chinese Sweetgum from a local nursery today. The root mass expanded itself and pushes the tree about an inch or so over the top of the pot. I plan to leave things as is and wait until early Spring to do some root work and repot, but thought that I show a few pictures here to see if my plan is sound and if there are any comments. I plan to do some thinning out of the foliage to get better lighting to the interior part of the tree in a week or so, to give the tree a chance to get acclimated to the new surrounding.

Regards, Vince
Hi Vince,
If I was you, I would place this pot into the bigger pot ( I would place it into the cement mix container which is sold in Home Depot - but don't put cement :) Fill it up with the soil until it cover the tree's current soil surface. Care it with more high P,K fertilizer until it is ready for transplant next year.
For me,the best time to transplant Liquidamber is when its buds start swelling up in the end of winter!
Bonhe

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
im assuming he also meant to tell you to drill drain holes in the cement mixing tub

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Vince,
If I was you, I would place this pot into the bigger pot ( I would place it into the cement mix container which is sold in Home Depot - but don't put cement :) Fill it up with the soil until it cover the tree's current soil surface. Care it with more high P,K fertilizer until it is ready for transplant next year.
For me,the best time to transplant Liquidamber is when its buds start swelling up in the end of winter!
Bonhe
Bonhe,

What is the advantage of doing it that way vs plain up-potting the tree...even to the cement mix tub (w/o the original pot)?

Thanks.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
You're going to repot anyway in the spring. Just slip the rootball into a pot an inch or two wider and deeper and fill in with soil.

Water carefully in winter. A leafless sweetgum won't need much water.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I agree with Jim just slip pot into something slightly bigger until repotting. I repot them in mid to late Janurary-they seem to recover from drastic root and top pruning then without skipping a beat. A little later probably wouldn't hurt as long as it hasn't leafed out.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Nice shot up the canopy. I almost thought it was a tree in nature. Good job

carobone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Sorry, don't know why the first image tilted 90 degree like that, since the original image was right side up. Corrected image atttached. Thanks for all inputs. I will consider putting the tree in a bigger container.

Regards, Vince[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• sweetgum front .jpg
    sweetgum front .jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 107

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Sorry, don't know why the first image tilted 90 degree like that, since the original image was right side up. Corrected image atttached. Thanks for all inputs. I will consider putting the tree in a bigger container.

Regards, Vince

Thanks, I got so confused and grumpy about it being sideways that I almost had to start a whole new thread griping about it...:p

Kidding...who would do that? Great bonsai, nice score from any angle!

Cheers,
BVF

carobone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Another question: I've heard conflicting info about using glazed vs non-glazed pot for this type of material, I know this could be a loaded question but thought I'd ask anyways. Thanks

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It's massive enough that you could get away with an unglazed red/light brown (not gray) clay. However, the light bark and leaf color, and eminent blazing fall colors would also work nicely with a dark blue glaze. I think cream would be tough if it has to be a deep pot; as it might not convey a sense of stability.

carobone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
It's massive enough that you could get away with an unglazed red/light brown (not gray) clay. However, the light bark and leaf color, and eminent blazing fall colors would also work nicely with a dark blue glaze. I think cream would be tough if it has to be a deep pot; as it might not convey a sense of stability.

Thanks, Brian. Initially I thought of a cobalt or deep blue pot as you mentioned, but was not sure thus the question. Thanks for the confirmation that the color would work. Yes, the current pot is an oval at 16x10x4 (WDH) and I think it's a bit small for the tree.

I will wait until the fall color kicks in and will update the thread with a virtual of the tree in what eventually will be its new home

Regards, Vince

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
im assuming he also meant to tell you to drill drain holes in the cement mixing tub
That's correct. Thanks.

Bonhe,

What is the advantage of doing it that way vs plain up-potting the tree...even to the cement mix tub (w/o the original pot)?

Thanks.
Hi Poink88,
In my area is too hot at this time, so do it my way will be much more safe!
Bonhe

carobone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Bonhe, and others,

Thanks for your input. I was wondering if you see anything wrong with me leaving the tree in the pot the way it is until repot time next Spring? What is the advantage of putting it in a bigger planting container and fill with soil. As I know, the tree has been in this condition for a while now

I plan to observe the tree in the next couple of weeks or so to see how it's acclimating to the new environment, although I only live an hour or so from the nursery where I purchased the tree, and take any action accordingly

Regards, Vince

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Bonhe, and others,

Thanks for your input. I was wondering if you see anything wrong with me leaving the tree in the pot the way it is until repot time next spring? What is the advantage of putting it in a bigger planting container and fill with soil. As I know, the tree has been in this condition for a while now

I plan to observe the tree in the next couple of weeks or so to see how it's acclimating to the new environment, although I only live an hour or so from the nursery where I purchased the tree, and take any action accordingly

Regards, Vince

What will happen is that the exposed roots will dry out more than they already are- altough they look like the outer layer is pretty dry already. It's obviously been that way for awhile you could probably get away with doing nothing but it certainly wouldn't hurt to cover the roots.
They are really tough trees and respond well to drastic root pruning before the buds open-January for me. That tree will not need a deep a pot as its in after a good root pruning or two. I have some that size in 2" deep pots.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonhe, and others,

Thanks for your input. I was wondering if you see anything wrong with me leaving the tree in the pot the way it is until repot time next Spring? What is the advantage of putting it in a bigger planting container and fill with soil. As I know, the tree has been in this condition for a while now

Regards, Vince
Hi Vince,
The reason I like to put it in the bigger pot with soil covering over the current one is that this type of practice will help the tree get more strength prior to the next repot, especially you want it to go through acclimation smoothly. Remember, in Southern California, we still have about 3 1/2 growing months!
Bonhe

carobone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Greetings again, so far I have not been able to find a suitable deep blue color pot, so I did a virtual of the tree in the pot which I'd like to acquire before Spring. Critique, comments are as always welcome.

Thanks, Vince

liquidambar in new rectangle unglazed pot.jpg

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
way too big(length,width), too deep(height), wrong shape(needs to be oval or rectangle with rounded corners). Color is the least of your problems but that i do not like as well. If you want to go unglazed try something in the grey tones perhaps. A very aged cream color pot would look nice as well as a light blue one you mentioned(not sure if you were thinking light blue or dark blue, but I think light blue would look better)

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a cream colored Chinese oval I have. 14.5x11x3.5. It came with a sharps pigmy maple planted in it. Unfortunately all I have left is the pot. :( I really like the glaze on this one, but I generally don't like glazed pots so I will probably not use this one again.
What are the dimensions of the tree? If you want pm me.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom