New little Chinese Elm

Duhend

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Well, I picked up a new little Ulmus when I was buying my girlfriend one for her to kill again I'm sure. I couldn't resist it, it was so hairy and only had growth up top because that's all the light it got at Earl May.

DSCF0300.jpg
Its pretty wild here.

DSCF0302.jpg
DSCF0308.jpg
Both during the great cut back.

DSCF0314.jpg
The after, not perfect but I'm still new to things I suppose.

I've got new growth everywhere, these were taken around a month ago I believe the time stamp says, and things seem to be going good. It was just a sad little plant and so funny to see it only have growth on the top because of how it was suck in with the other stock. Maybe fool hardy at ten bucks but I'm still learning, cheap things to possibly kill are the best.

I should have re-potted this guy but finals at KU got the better of me. Any Opinion on putting it in a larger growth pot this late in the season? I've always potted by now, but it was such a late addition. I really do want it out of that little pot. A big worry is we have already had a few 90 degree days and I'm worried about the heat plus a bit of a shock. Although I hadn't planned on much of a root prune, that all could change though.

as always thanks for the input and the great site!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi Duhend,
I bet you could get away with a potting now, if you can do good aftercare, and water properly. I would just tease the roots out, not cut many at all, maybe use a water spray to clear old soil. Repot into good soil, make sure to wire it into the pot, and keep it in the shade for a bit. If this seems risky, you could for sure do a slip pot into a larger pot, without disturbing the roots. Just do good soil beneath and around the old soil.

Duhend

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I was thinking of the slip pot idea, I was mainly going to just put regular organic matter soil in for it to give it lots of room to grow. I've got some shade area I think....so it could work.

IMAG0367.jpg
This is it as of today.

Thanks for the tip JudyB!

I think I'm going to head outside and pull everything inside before one of my good ol' Kansas storms/Tornadoes blows everything away. I guess its good graduation here in Lawrence was this morning and not now.

Top Bottom