New looking for guidance

JVal

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm new to bonsai. Ive been reading the forums quite a bit in the past week or so. Ive read a few times now that usually your first attempt is a failure. I'm starting to worry about whether or not this little guy is going to survive. It looks healthy now and I want to keep it that way. Thought I'd post a few pics and see what some of you more experienced guys think. Maybe some suggestions/tips.

Attachments

• 20170524_112330.jpg
    20170524_112330.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 20170524_112354.jpg
    20170524_112354.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 20170524_112341.jpg
    20170524_112341.jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 20170524_112415.jpg
    20170524_112415.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 41

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Welcome!

If you want it to live keep it outside 24/7/365. Never bring it inside ever.

JVal

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Welcome!

If you want it to live keep it outside 24/7/365. Never bring it inside ever.

Outside in pot or is it better off planted in ground? It's in a sunroom in a corner surrounded by windows.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've killed one of those! LOL By keeping in inside only in winter. Died next year.
Nice sunroom for tropicals but as posted above this Juniper needs winter. Needs outside. Mulched in pot against north side of house foundation over winter. Trust these guys who know. I'd have a few more trees if I had in the past.
Oh and welcome to the forum!

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ryan is right. Get it outside, full sun, full exposure to the elements. Junipers are tough they can handle it. This one doesnt look like your typical "first bonsai" that came from a box store or a van on th Ie side of a road (those are doomed from the start). It doesn't have to be a failure. Stick with us and we will help you succeed. It can be outside in the pot. Just keep it watered. Do you know if it was repotted recently at all?

JVal

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've killed one of those! LOL By keeping in inside only in winter. Died next year.
Nice sunroom for tropicals but as posted above this Juniper needs winter. Needs outside. Mulched in pot against north side of house foundation over winter. Trust these guys who know. I'd have a few more trees if I had in the past.
Oh and welcome to the forum!

Ok I'll put it outside. Is there a certain side of the house or direction it should face during spring, summer, fall?

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
South or west side is fine where it will get the most sun.

JVal

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ryan is right. Get it outside, full sun, full exposure to the elements. Junipers are tough they can handle it. This one doesnt look like your typical "first bonsai" that came from a box store or a van on th Ie side of a road (those are doomed from the start). It doesn't have to be a failure. Stick with us and we will help you succeed. It can be outside in the pot. Just keep it watered. Do you know if it was repotted recently at all?

It was purchased at a local plant/flower nursery. I don't know the last time it was reported. Maybe that's something I should have asked.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Put it where it can get sun all day long.
My trees are in the middle of the yard,where they get sun from dawn till dusk.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you get the chance to go back and ask them if they know when it was repotted and how harshly the roots were treated that would be helpful. If it has been grown/ trained at that nursery they should know. Maybe they ordered it in from somewhere else and have no idea about its history?:confused:

Its worth investigating to know if it needs any extra care this season while recovering from transplanting or something.

JVal

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you get the chance to go back and ask them if they know when it was repotted and how harshly the roots were treated that would be helpful. If it has been grown/ trained at that nursery they should know. Maybe they ordered it in from somewhere else and have no idea about its history?:confused:

Its worth investigating to know if it needs any extra care this season while recovering from transplanting or something.

I talked to an employee for a good half hour when I purchased it. I remember her saying they had just got them in the previous day and it was the most they had gotten at once. That being said I know they ordered from somewhere. I could still stop back and ask but doubtful she'll know.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I talked to an employee for a good half hour when I purchased it. I remember her saying they had just got them in the previous day and it was the most they had gotten at once. That being said I know they ordered from somewhere. I could still stop back and ask but doubtful she'll know.
True. Hopefully the original seller is responsible enough to only sell a tree that is well established. If it has plenty of new growth from this season you are probably fine.

JVal

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
True. Hopefully the original seller is responsible enough to only sell a tree that is well established. If it has plenty of new growth from this season you are probably fine.

Do you recommend a repot? Just to be on safe side. Check root quality. I'd also like to see the trunk of the tree to thicken. From what I understand a size up in the pot will help for that?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

JVal

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for the welcomes and responses. Im happy to have joined.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Look under the pot. Does it say "Brussel's" under there? If so, that's where it came from. They sell to HD, florists, garden centers, etc.

If so, it was decently potted, but their soil is bad. Oh, it's ok for the next year until it's repotting season, early Spring. By then, you will have learned about bonsai soil if you watch this forum.

Go to www.bonsaiboon.com, and rent or buy his "bonsai 101" video. It's cheap. But will get you off to a good start.

JVal

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Look under the pot. Does it say "Brussel's" under there? If so, that's where it came from. They sell to HD, florists, garden centers, etc.

If so, it was decently potted, but their soil is bad. Oh, it's ok for the next year until it's repotting season, early Spring. By then, you will have learned about bonsai soil if you watch this forum.

Go to www.bonsaiboon.com, and rent or buy his "bonsai 101" video. It's cheap. But will get you off to a good start.

Nope. No Brussels. It did come with a tag on it maybe the emblem on the tag is recognizable to someone???

Attachments

• 20170524_142305.jpg
    20170524_142305.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 20
Top Bottom