New Maple Air Layer

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I was messing around and wanted to shorten a maple that I have it is about 3.5 feet tall so I tried an air layer. I know my timing is suspect. I did the work at the end of July. After 1 month I can see several substantial roots. I figure I have about a month and a half before first will start hitting us. My question is, that is going to be a short time to acumate these new roots. This is my first successful air layer. What is the best plan to get this through the winter? Thanks for the help.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keep it out until frost starts and then put it into an unheated garage until Spring. Deep frost wouldnt be good for fresh roots

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What are substantial roots to you? Just a white point on the trunk? Or several inches long roots around the trunk?

In case of the latter, I would pot it up. Make sure you fix the tree to the pot so it does not wiggle. Then put it in a dappled shade spot for the rest of fall. The tree will know what to do with its roots. Just bring it through winter like your other trees.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
What are substantial roots to you? Just a white point on the trunk? Or several inches long roots around the trunk?

In case of the latter, I would pot it up. Make sure you fix the tree to the pot so it does not wiggle. Then put it in a dappled shade spot for the rest of fall. The tree will know what to do with its roots. Just bring it through winter like your other trees.
do you do this with all your layers after separation?

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Take a look at this Greenwood Bonsai video to see what a successful air layer on a maple looks like.

Top Bottom