New Maple Died

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So I purchased a small maple about 3 weeks ago and I'm not sure if it was a bad graft, or I just can't keep it alive or what but it's already dead. I watered it about every 2-3 days depending and was in about 6 hours of direct sun. It never actually budded or shown any signs of new leaves coming in. In these situations am I just kinda out of luck? Do I contact the local bonsai store I purchased from? Pretty bummed as this was a birthday gift my partner got for me. :/

I don't particularly know the best policy or what is considered proper etiquette as this is all new for me.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Could you post a photo of the tree?
Are you saying it was still dormant and didn’t push out any new foliage? Maybe it’s still dormant? How do you know it’s dead?
It's an Aratama, which I read is one of the first to bloom in spring, but of course that doesn't mean everything. I scratched decently into the bark and got brown.

Attachments

• PXL_20210324_185024379.jpg
    PXL_20210324_185024379.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 112
  • PXL_20210324_185052124.jpg
    PXL_20210324_185052124.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 87
  • PXL_20210324_185128376.jpg
    PXL_20210324_185128376.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 90

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hmm... sounds problematic. 3 weeks is getting pretty far down the line for a return. Also pretty slow for coming ot of dormancy in your area. We are behind you and I just finished working 48 maples and all be the ones in the coldest storage area are pushing leaves and the rest are budded.

The key is if the tree branches still have color green or red on maples, or has turned grey or white, which would say it’s likely given up the ghost.

Id call them for advice to get a marker in on the situation. Perhaps it is still dormant.

If it’s dead your best rationale for a return is it hasn’t budded out at all.

But do post a couple good photos for us to look at.

cheers
DSD sends

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It has budded, but these look quite a bit iffy. Call the store and send these photos and see what they think. A reputable store will replace the tree or credit you.

Heres a comparison of some of my lil guys.

image.jpg
cheers
DSD sends

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
To me, from the photos I can see, it's in a very bad condition if not dead.

If I were you, I'd go back to the seller and get a refund, or a replacement.

Then you'll know if they're reliable people, and post about them everywhere you can.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Good or bad! Too often, its always the bad news and not enough good news. Humans tend to remember the negative, businesses suffer, bonsai dealers suffer!
Agreed! I love this store, been going there for years. I suspect if anything that ice storm we had from last month did it in before I got it and it didn't show signs until when everything should be waking up. That storm killed a lot of plants in our area. I'm still not sure about my palm in front of my home; it has to be at least 30 years old.

Last edited:

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ice storm... chalk it up, go buy you a new one, if the original one comes back to life... you're going to need more trees to love anyway! Good luck

Top Bottom