New massive ginkgo.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Should I cut a V notch on top or leave it flat ?

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Should I cut a V notch on top or leave it flat ?
Leave it flat for now. Assuming it lives, you don't yet know where it will bud.

I'm not as experienced at trunk chopping as others, but I prefer late spring and early summer. As far as doing any major root work, I think that you took a big risk doing it now. Good luck. I hope it makes it, there is potential.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ginkgo are pretty hesitant to heal over. I'd probably seal that cut, and I might consider the cut paste used to create faster healing. Off the top of my head I don't remember what it is, but Jonas @ bonsaitonight sells it. I have a ginkgo and one of its trunks has died so I'm going to have to deal with it. I don't have the experience yet, but now you've got a window into how I'm thinking about handling it.

Also, it does no good to say it now, but I would've waited 'til spring so it wouldn't have to wait so long before it begins to heal, however much of that its willing to do.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Ginkgo are pretty hesitant to heal over. I'd probably seal that cut, and I might consider the cut paste used to create faster healing. Off the top of my head I don't remember what it is, but Jonas @ bonsaitonight sells it. I have a ginkgo and one of its trunks has died so I'm going to have to deal with it. I don't have the experience yet, but now you've got a window into how I'm thinking about handling it.

Also, it does no good to say it now, but I would've waited 'til spring so it wouldn't have to wait so long before it begins to heal, however much of that its willing to do.
Thanks! Already put cut paste and aluminum foil over the chop.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Nice! Was this a nursery purchase? If so I can’t imagine they gave it away. Bold move, but I’m excited to see how it develops!

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

The Ginkgo i have growing in my backyard is slow to heal over branch cuts, like really slow.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Nice! Was this a nursery purchase? If so I can’t imagine they gave it away. Bold move, but I’m excited to see how it develops!
It was a purchase from this guy's front yard whom I went to buy the huge thing below lol . I offered him $200 and he handed me a shovel and the rest is history lol.
27ED391A-F5E5-4286-96FF-86EC89B3AC99.jpeg789D412F-4D40-4234-84FB-BF7672EE9438.jpeg

Top Bottom