New member looking for some tips (Ulmus parvifolia)

Reaction score
Hello!
I just registered today and I'm looking for some advice/ tips on what I should start doing after getting into the Bonsai hobby.

I received a Bonsai kit in Christmas, a gift from my gf's mother. It came with a Bonsai (really?), fertilizer, stimulator (?), a scissor (heavy duty shears?) and a book.

After reading it I got a general overview of what Bonsai is, Bonsai species, basic Bonsai needs and more. Knewing that, I identified my Bonsai as an Ulmus parvifolia (Chinese elm). Just searched some information about it and I guess I pretty much know the basics.

The tree was always kept indoors from what I've been told but after reading I realized it was an out-door tree and that it should be exposed to sun most of the time. Now this is where it gets tricky as I was advised to keep it in shade.
I've been keeping it outside from the afternoon until night but I wanted to know your opinion about it.
I live in Portugal and so temperatures are as follows:

Code:
Month 	Air 	
Jan - Mar 	17.1 °C, 62.8 °F 	
Apr - Jun 	21,8 °C, 71,2 °F 	
Jul - Sep 	26,3 °C, 79,3 °F 	
Oct - Dec 	17,2 °C, 53,0 °F

I've been putting it on my window ledge as it's almost impossible for it to fall. Should I place it in a more secure place though? I'm able to put it in a balcony if needed although my neighbours smoke a lot and sometimes the ashes end up in there.

I'll follow up with some pictures.

DSCF8384v1_zps76957350.jpg
DSCF8385_zpsc97a01e1.jpg
DSCF8387_zps5ee9d5cb.jpg
DSCF8388_zps47e05df0.jpg

As you can see some (very few) leaves are curled while others are kinda yellow-ish. Is this something I should worry about?
Regarding the soil, does it look okay?

Thanks so far.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hello!
I just registered today and I'm looking for some advice/ tips on what I should start doing after getting into the Bonsai hobby.

I received a Bonsai kit in Christmas, a gift from my gf's mother. It came with a Bonsai (really?), fertilizer, stimulator (?), a scissor (heavy duty shears?) and a book.

After reading it I got a general overview of what Bonsai is, Bonsai species, basic Bonsai needs and more. Knewing that, I identified my Bonsai as an Ulmus parvifolia (Chinese elm). Just searched some information about it and I guess I pretty much know the basics.

The tree was always kept indoors from what I've been told but after reading I realized it was an out-door tree and that it should be exposed to sun most of the time. Now this is where it gets tricky as I was advised to keep it in shade.
I've been keeping it outside from the afternoon until night but I wanted to know your opinion about it.

Code:
Month     Air     
Jan - Mar     17.1 °C, 62.8 °F     
Apr - Jun     21,8 °C, 71,2 °F     
Jul - Sep     26,3 °C, 79,3 °F     
Oct - Dec     17,2 °C, 53,0 °F

I've been putting it on my window ledge as it's almost impossible for it to fall. Should I place it in a more secure place though? I'm able to put it in a balcony if needed although my neighbours smoke a lot and sometimes the ashes end up in there.

View attachment 29472
View attachment 29473
View attachment 29474
View attachment 29475

As you can see some (very few) leaves are curled while others are kinda yellow-ish. Is this something I should worry about?

Thanks so far.
Welcome to the addiction.
You can keep it outside 24/7. It may or may not lose it's leaves so don't worry about a few leaves changing color. If it had been outdoors it would most likely be dormant or semi dormant now. Considering the crappy soil its in the tree looks healthy. I'd repot this spring. They'll grow in a varierty of conditions- it'll take shade but the leaves may get bigger and the growth lanky. It'll do well with lots of sun just some protection from the strongest summer sun. Best would be lots of early sun then shade in the afternoons. The smoke and/ash from one neighbor won't affect the tree so if the balcony is safer I'd leave it there.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
just some protection from the strongest summer sun.

And drying winds -- especially winter winds.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello!

Code:
Month 	Air 	
Jan - Mar 	17.1 °C, 62.8 °F 	
Apr - Jun 	21,8 °C, 71,2 °F 	
Jul - Sep 	26,3 °C, 79,3 °F 	
Oct - Dec 	17,2 °C, 53,0 °F

View attachment 29472
View attachment 29473
View attachment 29474
View attachment 29475

Thanks so far.
What Bob said, plus I'd add that you need to either purchase some pre-made bonsai soil or make your own. Start with either a Turface-like product (expanded shale) or large grit or similar inorganic, then add some organic such as pine bark mulch (rotted is best, sift out the fines) or what you have in your locale. I'd use 2/3 inorganic and 1/3 organic. Do this in spring. Buy some cheap shears for cutting the roots. Chinese elm roots are "fleshy," so you'll need sharp shears to make clean cuts. I'd predict you'll find some pretty large roots and they're probably coiled around the pot. Comb them out before trimming. You can safely remove half or more; you'll get plenty of root growth this year.

The best part of this is your tree is healthy as shown by the leaves. You do need to repot, but once you do this you're on your way.

Good luck, and welcome to the art and hobby of bonsai!

Zach

Reaction score
Unfortunaly I'm revamping this topic because something bad happened.
So, after knowing that my soil wasn't the most adequate I was really careful with the watering.
I was so worried about over-watering it that the leaves are now (yesterday they looked fine but today they drastically changed) all curled and now I'm clue-less on what to do. I watered it this morning until the water would exit from the draining holes and applied a bonsai product that came with the tree that was supposed to give nutrients and stuff (I can post more info when I get home again).

So, the first question is what I should do now. Should I water it in the same way (when I feel the soil is dry) or should I water it more often until it recovers?

Second question, some green stuff started to grow on the soil and on the bark (?) and I read in the book that these might be some fungus that could be caused by over-watering. What do you think?

DSCF8394.jpg
DSCF8395.jpg
DSCF8396.jpg

Sorry for the bad pictures and thanks for your help.

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It might be overwatering, or underwatering... how are you determining that it's time to water? If you use the chopstick method, (stick a wooden stick or skewer down into the soil, and check it daily. If it's getting almost dry, then water. If it's moist, don't.) then you should know which it is.

I wonder if your tree is just having a dormant period. If you are keeping it outside, that's more than likely what it is. If it's inside then it may be something else.
But I don't know enough from the pic. If there is moss on the soil, it may be too wet, but I don't see any.
Maybe better photos will help.

Reaction score
I've been feeling the soil with my finger, don't even know where to get chopsticks (lol).
Maybe I could use something similar to it because I think it will be hard for me to find chopsticks.

Does it look like fungus or moss?

I've been keeping it outside in the morning and afternoon and bring it inside at night, protecting it from the cold. It has been getting more sun than when it came to my hands since it was inside 24/7 and now I keep it outside for a considerable time (not 24/7 though).

Hope I answered what you asked, if not I'll try to explain myself better.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I've been feeling the soil with my finger, don't even know where to get chopsticks (lol).
Maybe I could use something similar to it because I think it will be hard for me to find chopsticks.

Does it look like fungus or moss?

I've been keeping it outside in the morning and afternoon and bring it inside at night, protecting it from the cold. It has been getting more sun than when it came to my hands since it was inside 24/7 and now I keep it outside for a considerable time (not 24/7 though).

Hope I answered what you asked, if not I'll try to explain myself better.

Anything that's wood will work just fine. A popsicle stick, split a piece off a 2x4- just a clean piece of wood that's not been treated or polished. Shoot even a stick would work... My experience with trees in soil is that they will need water about 2-3 times a week. But, the only way to really know is to check the soil. Like the other members said this spring it would be good to give it some proper soil if you plan on having the tree for a while.

I see a few small pieces of moss but there isn't any visible fungus.

Next year I would plan on keeping it outside the whole year. It cannot get cold enough in your region to do any harm to that elm.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes, any old stick will work, then you'll know if the soil down in the rootball is wet or dry. It could be wet on the surface where you can get your finger, but dry down lower. I use skewers that are sold for cooking purposes, for grilling kabobs.... look for those at your grocery.

If your soil is compacted enough, it could be too dry, and when you water it, the water is running out the bottom without getting the rootball wet. If this is the case, you may need to soak the pot in water to get it wet again.

You can keep this tree outside given your temps, even at night. If it's not a watering or root issue, it could just be going into a dormant period. Can you post more pics please?

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Newworld,

You really think its safe to leave a Chinese elm out side when it's 17 degrees f? I have always been told 25 degrees max. I have also read that trees that have been grown in greenhouses there whole life don't do good in the sub freezing weather. Chinese elm is one of those. Brussels moves theirs into unheated greenhouses when it gets to 25 degrees so that's what I have always done. Mine are in my garage right now. I'm not doubting you just would like to know how cold people let them get with success, because I have a big one I would love to not move around.

geoff hobson

Seedling
Reaction score
chinese elm

I keep my chinese elms outside all the time. We have temps down to -10C and they survive fine. It seems to me that you need to aclimatise the tree to colder conditions, but you don't say how cold you get. When I first saw your pictures I thought the soil looked dry, but you have watered so it should be fine, I think the change of conditions has had an effect, but I think it will come back ok. I would leave the re potting for a while to allow the tree to settle,
Geoff.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Newworld,

You really think its safe to leave a Chinese elm out side when it's 17 degrees f? I have always been told 25 degrees max. I have also read that trees that have been grown in greenhouses there whole life don't do good in the sub freezing weather. Chinese elm is one of those. Brussels moves theirs into unheated greenhouses when it gets to 25 degrees so that's what I have always done. Mine are in my garage right now. I'm not doubting you just would like to know how cold people let them get with success, because I have a big one I would love to not move around.

I totally agree with you. I've read that WP (and others) have even buried their trees in snow where it stays a nice 35+ degrees F. I've never had to over winter anything but what I've read recommends keeping deciduous trees warmer than freezing. I cannot give any solid advice on how low a Parvifolia could handle but considering they are semi-deciduous I wouldn't chance it.

The OP lives in zone 9 and that 17.1 degrees on his chart is in Celsius. He should barley get a freeze or two a year at that zone and by the ocean it probably never gets that cold.

Last edited:
Top Bottom