New member new to Bonsai

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So we are a month on and the leave dropping is continuing but seems to be less in numbers now, I have the lights on for 16hrs a day, and have increased watering based on the fact that it appeared to dry out very quickly. I read about using bamboo sticks in the soil to gauge when it is drying out is gave it a go, found the soil drying out very quickly.

Attachments

• 67A2AC73-5530-45F9-BA01-EFFFE1D7A260.jpeg
    67A2AC73-5530-45F9-BA01-EFFFE1D7A260.jpeg
    224.6 KB · Views: 23
  • C4AFF2B0-4259-4721-9ECE-16729DD41631.jpeg
    C4AFF2B0-4259-4721-9ECE-16729DD41631.jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 11
  • D2A0E9D9-6242-4FFA-AE8F-29FF483CD7F0.jpeg
    D2A0E9D9-6242-4FFA-AE8F-29FF483CD7F0.jpeg
    232 KB · Views: 20

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I put my poor Serrisa out in the sunshine today, temps here still to low to leave it out, i don’t hold out much hope for her.

Attachments

• 60E11755-A7CA-4C8E-8968-8EC94955430B.jpeg
    60E11755-A7CA-4C8E-8968-8EC94955430B.jpeg
    283.2 KB · Views: 22

Indoor Trees

Yamadori
Reaction score
Whenever you move a Serrisa to a new location expect to suffer leaf drop. Water at 2 or 3 day intervals checking the soil till you learnhow long it takes to dry out.

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello Darran, this is the first time I've seen your thread, so I read it kind of holding my breath!

I am new to bonsai also, and bought three tiny serissa plants -- but with my Central Florida (we call 4 hours of below-freezing temperatures a "hard freeze") Zone 9, the biggest threat to my babies is likely to be me.

I know you'll likely choose climate-compatible species in the future, but it's good to have some vibrant life inside the house over the winter -- so you might find this book helpful in choosing indoor/outdoor guys:

Growing Bonsai Indoors
edited by Pat Lucke Morris and Sigrun Wolff Saphire
Brooklyn Botanic Garden
2008, 2013
ISBN 978-1-889538-85-3

(Hope the wise elders agree!)

Best wishes -- Amy

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hello Darran, this is the first time I've seen your thread, so I read it kind of holding my breath!

I am new to bonsai also, and bought three tiny serissa plants -- but with my Central Florida (we call 4 hours of below-freezing temperatures a "hard freeze") Zone 9, the biggest threat to my babies is likely to be me.

I know you'll likely choose climate-compatible species in the future, but it's good to have some vibrant life inside the house over the winter -- so you might find this book helpful in choosing indoor/outdoor guys:

Growing Bonsai Indoors
edited by Pat Lucke Morris and Sigrun Wolff Saphire
Brooklyn Botanic Garden
2008, 2013
ISBN 978-1-889538-85-3

(Hope the wise elders agree!)

Best wishes -- Amy
Excellent book!

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Stop moving the plant around... its like trying to make a card tower on a boat in choppy waters.

Once temps are stable enough to put it outside in full sun, do so.

Your watering seems ok. So keep with that...

I find growing these African natives very difficult... i dont have many and those I do have never do welll until they are outside in the late spring, summer.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Stop moving the plant around... its like trying to make a card tower on a boat in choppy waters.

I find growing these African natives very difficult... i dont have many and those I do have never do welll until they are outside in the late spring, summer.
Serissas are the MOST susceptible to this “moving stress” of any plant I’ve owned.... each leaf likes to be “set” in it’s photo-position.. I used to explain it in extreme depth, which looking back on it, probably frustrated and confused newer-to-bonsai folks... I REALLY like your “Card Tower on a boat with Mark Walberg” analogy.... easily relatable from theory to practice... I shall steal it. (The analogy)

🤓

Indoor Trees

Yamadori
Reaction score

Serissa is native to sub-tropical woodlands, streambanks and wet meadows in southeast Asia, not Africa.

Indoor Trees

Yamadori
Reaction score
I lost a couple, being super careful now and have two varieties alive and well. For now!

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There’s encouragement in among the older posts on BNut — someone I respect referred to MellowMullet as a “Serissa Whisperer,” so I searched “serissa” and his name — granted, he lives in a great place, it’s still really encouraging reading & pictures. Well worth a look!

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone

To be fair I only moved it once, since it was brought for me 4 months ago, but it’s been steadily dropping leaves since it’s arrival, I am not sure me putting it outside for a day 4 months into the issues it has is the cause here.

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First and foremost, the tree has been in your care for 4 months, and it is still alive. And you are already doing your best to understand its needs. I’m betting on that tree to be alive and very well in another 4 months, now that you can give it sunshine — even if you do have to move it in & out for a bit longer.

I have only tiny serissa plants, and tiny experience — I ordered them online, and then wondered what I’d let myself in for — but they’ve tolerated shipping (from Ohio to Florida), and being brought inside the house as we had a late “cold snap,” out for sun, and then into the unheated utility room overnight, and they haven’t seemed to care as long as they get some sun. Currently, I give them morning sun on the east side of the house, and afternoon sun on the west. And I’ve gotten bold enough (given that Florida sun) to give each a fair slosh of water in the morning (provided I’ve felt dry soil most of the way down) and check again in the evening. So far, so good, although I’ll be vigilant as the daily temperatures rise.

Read MellowMullet. You’ll be able to relax a bit — and you’ll have someone to call on. I expect to hit him up with questions myself.

Best wishes for continued success!
— Amy

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First and foremost, the tree has been in your care for 4 months, and it is still alive. And you are already doing your best to understand its needs. I’m betting on that tree to be alive and very well in another 4 months, now that you can give it sunshine — even if you do have to move it in & out for a bit longer.

I have only tiny serissa plants, and tiny experience — I ordered them online, and then wondered what I’d let myself in for — but they’ve tolerated shipping (from Ohio to Florida), and being brought inside the house as we had a late “cold snap,” out for sun, and then into the unheated utility room overnight, and they haven’t seemed to care as long as they get some sun. Currently, I give them morning sun on the east side of the house, and afternoon sun on the west. And I’ve gotten bold enough (given that Florida sun) to give each a fair slosh of water in the morning (provided I’ve felt dry soil most of the way down) and check again in the evening. So far, so good, although I’ll be vigilant as the daily temperatures rise.

Read MellowMullet. You’ll be able to relax a bit — and you’ll have someone to call on. I expect to hit him up with questions myself.

Best wishes for continued success!
— Amy
I am catching up on the threads Mellow Mullet has on here.

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Found this which is interesting, and kind of contradictory to a lot I have read.

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Found this which is interesting, and kind of contradictory to a lot I have read.

Especially interesting to me, as they are only two hours’ drive north of me.

Thanks for sharing it!

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is my poor tree currently, leaves still dropping I fear the worst

Attachments

• AAA573FC-DAB4-47CD-81D7-C82BA32854C2.jpeg
    AAA573FC-DAB4-47CD-81D7-C82BA32854C2.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 8
  • BD00DFD6-F18C-4870-9F12-CCA34B73980C.jpeg
    BD00DFD6-F18C-4870-9F12-CCA34B73980C.jpeg
    157.6 KB · Views: 7

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@MellowMullet, @GrimLore

I haven’t introduced myself before, but I’ve appreciated your wisdom — I hope you’re on to see this, and can help Darran —

Thank you, Amy

Top Bottom