New Members location details

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
While I agree this would be great, and helpful across the board.

I don't think one could FORCE people to disclose any personal details they do not want to. So it's "battle line" or nothing, and to keep an atmosphere of inclusivity, t'will probably err' toward "nothing", rightfully so. (Zone MAY be a way around this... But still falls on the other side)

Perhaps a note/disclaimer on the registration page?

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Tech product management guy here. This is what we call in the business "onboarding".

Either offering them some encouragement on signup to set their zone and location. Or a DM or bot that prompts them right after signup or on first post.

Nothing unlawful or rights violating to prompt people to provide information that will help them have a better time on the site.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Tech product management guy here. This is what we call in the business "onboarding".

Either offering them some encouragement on signup to set their zone and location. Or a DM or bot that prompts them right after signup or on first post.

Nothing unlawful or rights violating to prompt people to provide information that will help them have a better time on the site.
Smooth!
1670821346643.png

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Just seems to new members asking questions which location details are needed
I absolutely, agree. This happens often. OG users just have a "go-to set of sentences" they use, in these situations. (Even lower-case 'g' Bnut members like me. 🤓)

Your inquiry does merit discussion.

🤓

I see no issue disclosing your zone to be able to register. If you're using any of Google's, Facebook's, Tik Tok's, Twitter's, or Youtube's services then you've already sold your soul to big corporate.
I understand, friend. 😝 But from an organization's standpoint, to ASSUME (without obtained data) such a thing as your user's/client's/guest's OTHER apps/preferences doesn't seem pertinent, and is ASKING for trouble.

What you say, pertains to probably an EXTREMELY high percentage of people... Even "Gung Ho! Nature boys" like me use YouTube.

But does NOT pertain to ALL....therein lies the issue.

But I'm loving the discussion.

I think @PowerTap 's suggestion REALLY nails it.

Last edited:

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Just a lot of new members who don’t want to put there zone or location makes it hard to answer any questions ( it usually my tree is sick blah blah ) just a Zone would be fine

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Fair enough requirement, but what happens in the case like mine where my country doesn't officially supported usda hardiness zones so you need to check third party websites and one indicates anything from 11a to 12b and the other 8a to 12b. In the end guesstimation is what happened.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Just a lot of new members who don’t want to put there zone or location makes it hard to answer any questions ( it usually my tree is sick blah blah ) just a Zone would be fine
Dude! I get it! 😝

Are you not seeing MY responses?... It FEELS kind of like you are not understanding.

This is an issue as old as the site, itself, we are aware of it...

@PowerTap s idea would take care of it..

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Anyway we can register New Members so they add location details ( or they can't register ) ?
It's not a requirement for membership. People will get better advice if they share their location, but some people may simply want to register on the site in order to view the photos.

I always want to allow people to participate anonymously, if that is their desire - including not sharing their location if they don't want to. Additionally, you can be as specific or vague as you desire. You can state a country, state, general location, city... the point here is to allow people to have the power to decide how much info they want to share.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's not a requirement for membership. People will get better advice if they share their location, but some people may simply want to register on the site in order to view the photos.

I always want to allow people to participate anonymously, if that is their desire - including not sharing their location if they don't want to. Additionally, you can be as specific or vague as you desire. You can state a country, state, general location, city... the point here is to allow people to have the power to decide how much info they want to share.
Completely agree with that, so, how about adding something like "could you please add your USDA grow zone if you would like to receive feedback to your questions." That will still provide them with anonymity while helping members provide advise based on their grow zone. Not perfect, but at least could get a ballpark advise.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

While I understand what you are saying, we arent asking for people's street address.

Even just what state you live in would suffice to give people a general idea in order to give the best advice.
Yes I know there are some big states with differing climates from one end to another such as NY, California but its not such a huge difference.

People can still be anonymous with their state info. Hardly going to be able to find someone in the millions of people in any particular state

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
While I enjoy thinking in "gray"...

This here is a "black and white" situation.

I feel a lot here, must have me on ignore..

Cause I keep trying to explain it.

I dealt with/learned about issues like this in HR/Business Law courses.

You HAVE to think. Like a lawyer. Completely unbiased BASELINE.
While I agree this would be great, and helpful across the board.

I don't think one could FORCE people to disclose any personal details they do not want to. So it's "battle line" or nothing, and to keep an atmosphere of inclusivity, t'will probably err' toward "nothing", rightfully so. (Zone MAY be a way around this... But still falls on the other side)

Perhaps a note/disclaimer on the registration page?
I absolutely, agree. This happens often. OG users just have a "go-to set of sentences" they use, in these situations. (Even lower-case 'g' Bnut members like me. 🤓)

Your inquiry does merit discussion.

🤓
I understand, friend. 😝 But from an organization's standpoint, to ASSUME (without obtained data) such a thing as your user's/client's/guest's OTHER apps/preferences doesn't seem pertinent, and is ASKING for trouble.

What you say, pertains to probably an EXTREMELY high percentage of people... Even "Gung Ho! Nature boys" like me use YouTube.

But does NOT pertain to ALL....therein lies the issue.

But I'm loving the discussion.

I think @PowerTap 's suggestion REALLY nails it.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
While I enjoy thinking in "gray"...

This here is a "black and white" situation.

I feel a lot here, must have me on ignore..

Cause I keep trying to explain it.

I dealt with/learned about issues like this in HR/Business Law courses.

You HAVE to think. Like a lawyer. Completely unbiased BASELINE.

Legally, you can generally make people do whatever you want as a precondition to using a service. You could require an exact street address to be listed publicly on every profile if you wanted to. It would just scare away a lot of uncomfortable users who would turn to another similar website. It’s just a matter of balancing the utility of climate information against the preference for anonymity.

Disclaimer: This is not legal advice.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Legally, you can generally make people do whatever you want as a precondition to using a service. You could require an exact street address to be listed publicly on every profile if you wanted to. It would just scare away a lot of uncomfortable users who would turn to another similar website. It’s just a matter of balancing the utility of climate information against the preference for anonymity.

Disclaimer: This is not legal advice.
Yes . This requirement (exact street address) would fall into one of the black/white extremes. Bonsai Nut is a private organization/company/entity, and legally, can request, within reason, any information as prerequisite terms of use. Legally... You are correct.

Then you have to consider "guest users" ..."lurkers"... Would they provide these same prerequisites?

Also... The BNUT search accessibility across other platforms would be hurt, if when first-time users, (redirected by a Google search) when simply trying to access information, were prompted to enter personal information.

And if SOMEONE wanted to take the time, and draw all those lines in the sand.... They COULD...

But when all would be said and done, it would dissuade new users, and lower traffic..... Lower traffic means less people clicking.

So either "a whole bunch of lines"

Or "no lines"

@PowerTap had a GREAT suggestion, earlier, that I think would be a quick, clean "fix".. and an elegant solution to the issues at hand.

I've quite grown used to, even fond of this typical interaction with newcomers.

Don't forget... You all were new here at some point (I'M a "newer" member)... And had a senior member, have a similar conversation (doesn't have to be THIS one) with you, that you've since seen hundreds of times. You might even use it now, when speaking with new members. It's fun.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Fair enough requirement, but what happens in the case like mine where my country doesn't officially supported usda hardiness zones so you need to check third party websites and one indicates anything from 11a to 12b and the other 8a to 12b. In the end guesstimation is what happened.
This is correct ,as I had to find my growing Zone in New Zealand , maybe fix the USA map to show the whole world's Zoning

Treefer

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think alot of people do not put their zone because they do not know it or where to find it. Perhaps an easily accessible link in the banner would help.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This is correct ,as I had to find my growing Zone in New Zealand , maybe fix the USA map to show the whole world's Zoning
I think alot of people do not put their zone because they do not know it or where to find it. Perhaps an easily accessible link in the banner would help.
Yes, actual "translation" can be quite difficult.. due to the continental differences of geography... Lending to entirely different weather patterns everywhere. SUPER frustrating when trying to empathize with an overseas colleague.

The best (and the most time consuming) way to compare with USDA... Is to LITERALLY compare your numbers/stats.

Weatherspark has an awesome tool, comparing weather of ANY 2-5ish points.

Here's @Pixar and HorseloverFat's climates. (You can remove/add points)

I'll throw Chicago in there, too.

As you can see, North American climates have a HUUUUGE summer/winter difference.

It actually gets a LITTLE warmer, in Algoma, WI than it does in Auckland in high summer.

And Chicago gets a decent amount warmer than Auckland.

But in winter, we are MUCH colder.

This is why trying to RELATE USDSA, effectively, to other continents, is tough.

Top Bottom