New Members location details

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I participate in a couple of the Facebook forums from time to time as well as here. I don't say much as I don't have any experience outside of keeping tropicals outdoors 100% of the time and even that experience is limited.
I see people ask "What is wrong with my tree, I think it's dying" without taking the time to add a picture, species, location, how long they've had it, no details at all. I just keep scrolling. It's peaceful.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I participate in a couple of the Facebook forums from time to time as well as here. I don't say much as I don't have any experience outside of keeping tropicals outdoors 100% of the time and even that experience is limited.
I see people ask "What is wrong with my tree, I think it's dying" without taking the time to add a picture, species, location, how long they've had it, no details at all. I just keep scrolling. It's peaceful.
I read them to learn, and always :rolleyes: when someone says "I've been lurking for years" & doesn't have the zone included. I was a lurker and knew the first week how big of a deal zone is. Also B-nut has the you can't see pictures without registration, which is what made me want to register. Gotta see the pictures man! :)

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I would consider some text like this in the onboarding flow.

> Welcome to Bonsai Nut, please consider adding your general location to your profile. If you are in the US adding your USDA zone (link to zone finding site) is also very helpful. Understanding your climate makes it much easier to help give you care advise.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would consider some text like this in the onboarding flow.

> Welcome to Bonsai Nut, please consider adding your general location to your profile. If you are in the US adding your USDA zone (link to zone finding site) is also very helpful. Understanding your climate makes it much easier to help give you care advise.

I would add a tiny explanation:

Please consider adding your general location to your profile. It will provide important context about your climate and growing conditions.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Also @Bonsai Nut , I have no idea what the tech stack is around here or if it's possible. Willing to help a little if I can and if you are interested.

Respectfully,
A tech guy with trees that dream of being bonsai.
I will never turn down free tech support :) However I believe that functionality for a welcome message like the one being discussed already exists. I just haven't put a greeting message in previously because I didn't see the need... but I agree that a USDA message would be a good addition.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will never turn down free tech support :) However I believe that functionality for a welcome message like the one being discussed already exists. I just haven't put a greeting message in previously because I didn't see the need... but I agree that a USDA message would be a good addition.
reddit has a ton of BS to go through to add flair and all sorts of other crap, so i believe it's just right to beef up the posting requirements here just a tad

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was one of those noobs that didn't share their location at first. It's just good general internet security. After a couple weeks, and realizing I'd be around more than I initially suspected I would and after allot of requests from other members, I went ahead and filled it in.

I don't think it's necessary to make it a requirement. Anyone who hangs around enough will see the advantage in it, and it's their loss if they don't.
It might be a minor annoyance for those trying to help, but that's on us.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I didn't join for a number of years and was reading for a longtime before I joined up ( I don't think location really matters , it actually helps in answering your questions )

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I didn't join for a number of years and was reading for a longtime before I joined up ( I don't think location really matters , it actually helps in answering your questions )
You also totally don't need to be crazy specific. Mine says Seattle, but I definitely don't live in city limits and the difference between here and there aren't gonna make a difference.

PerryB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I have been a member for a while now, and more active since retiring a year ago....BUT, I can't figure out how to add my zone or location to my profile/banner!

Please help.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have been a member for a while now, and more active since retiring a year ago....BUT, I can't figure out how to add my zone or location to my profile/banner!

Please help.

I gotcha, Perry.

Scroll to the top of the page...

Click on the "p" symbol that looks like your "p" avatar... This bring up your profile options.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
On mobile, you can tap your profile pic, and a window will pop up. Select “account details,” and it will bring up a page where you can input or change your information.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't want to come off sounding like an ass, but I feel little desire to offer advice unless I have the information I feel is pertinent to my response. Location is usually #1.

That’s a fair point. If you’re taking the time to share your expertise for free, it’s only fair that those seeking advice offer the information you need to formulate that advice.

On the other hand, I think a lot of newbies see the location information on a profile as akin to putting a birthday on a profile. That’s to say they see it as unnecessary fluff. It doesn’t occur to them that location is vital to receiving the useful advice they seek. They don’t know they’re making it harder for others to give them advice.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welcome fellow NOVAn!

Rockm gives rock solid advice for trees in our climate. If you stick around on these forums, pay attention to rockm and others with similar weather conditions.

I’m up in Delaware, but NOVA sees just about all the same weather patterns just an hour or three before they hit here.

Top Bottom