New Members

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@BajaKen
A beginners guide to how to access information, where the site search function is located, where the resource articles are located is good, and more or less already exists, but probably could be put in a "sticky" post at the top of the "New to Bonsai" sub-forum. @Bonsai Nut - possible idea? a sticky pointing out resources at the top of the New sub-forum?

As far as a guide to what questions are "acceptable" and what questions tend to irritate old timers. That is unacceptable. Any adult that can not be tolerant of normal behavior of children is viewed as "a grinch", a less than normal, socially poorly developed human. A misanthrope. Any seasoned bonsai practitioner who can not tolerate normal questions from beginners, doesn't need to be here. They should go to Facebook and set their settings to prohibit postings by others on their own page. Us "old timers" should be certain we do not become misanthrops. The life blood of the hobby is steady recruitment of new practitioners, as we "ain't getting any younger". We should welcome questions. If we are not interested in answering a question, simply ignoring the question should be enough.

I am not saying all experienced members have to answer every question. No. I am just asking that if there is a question that irritates you, just don't answer it. Someone else will take it on. If you don't have a helpful comment, it is better to not answer than to behave rudely. Frankly this does not appear to be a big problem. Only an occasional issue. Vast majority of seasoned veterans here are behaving in very helpful ways.

Now of course it is perfectly okay for there to be some humor, some teasing, and some pranking. But we all should be conscious of tone and that those that are new might not get the humor. So if anyone wants to give me crap about this post or something else, that is fine, I can deal.

The biggest problem for me as a long time participant on a few bonsai forums is not really new bonsaiists' questions, but their reaction to answers. In the last few years (six, seven or eight), irritated, combative reactions to honest responses or answers an come at you. Those kinds of aggressive reactions aren't the norm thank God, or even common, but definitely notable.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think we lack a bit of structure that is good in other forums.
Sticky threads with needed info is a good idea. More fun threads with more participation.

But there is no such thing as GOOD moderation.

Elsewhere, I see...
"We changed your title to better reflect your question"
Or
"Your topic was moved to a more appropriate forum"

Any of these things are with this thought that somehow, in a perfect order, a more appropriate answer is going to happen. Like Jesus himself is going to come back, and if he doesn't find the thread in the right Forum....

It all just tryannical. Motherfuckers thinking they know better. Fuck you!

Maybe someone put a thread somewhere so they can remember where it was, or titled it as such for the same reason.

BonsaiNut is the perfect model for human freedom.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The biggest problem for me as a long time participant on a few bonsai forums is not really new bonsaiists' questions, but their reaction to answers. In the last few years (six, seven or eight), irritated, combative reactions to honest responses or answers an come at you. Those kinds of aggressive reactions aren't the norm thank God, or even common, but definitely notable.

Seems it has been a while since we've had one of those, though, I don't tend to stick around many newb threads anymore. There is too much activity!

Phsycos!

Sorce

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I am just asking that if there is a question that irritates you, just don't answer it. Someone else will take it on. If you don't have a helpful comment, it is better to not answer than to behave rudely. Frankly this does not appear to be a big problem. Only an occasional issue. Vast majority of seasoned veterans here are behaving in very helpful ways.

Now of course it is perfectly okay for there to be some humor, some teasing, and some pranking. But we all should be conscious of tone and that those that are new might not get the humor. So if anyone wants to give me crap about this post or something else, that is fine, I can deal.

Exactly.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b

I have seen those posts, fortunately they are fairly rare. There were one or two that damn near got me irritated, but then I remembered I can ignore them, and simply not reply. There are the rare occasions where I simply do not understand what or why of a response.

And then there is my friend @sorce - I swear buddy, half the time I can not figure out what you are trying to say. But I love you anyway.

Top Bottom