New monster JPB

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You look to be on the right path. Jin’s are typically not used on JBP. I have a couple of JBP with fairly large scars, but they’re healing over. It will take years, but they’re covering.

You will be amazed at the progress you tree will make in a couple years of dedicated work!
Thanks for the encouragement! I’m excited to get this big girl down to Jonas in February, hbr and get her in some better soil

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You ought to consider taking Boon’s Intensives. He’s in Valley Springs. Not far from Sacramento.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You ought to consider taking Boon’s Intensives. He’s in Valley Springs. Not far from Sacramento.
I would love to but at this point in my life I don’t have time. If I’m taking a 3 day vacation it’s gotta include my 6 year old son and wife lol. I work construction and work at ton. So all my vacation time is family vacation. In a few years when he’s older I hopefully will. For the time being I’ll just get as many 1 day classes as I can.(I know it’s all kinda lame excuses, for some reason I just feel guilty taking the time and money for myself, my son is my world idk)

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
You look to be on the right path. Jin’s are typically not used on JBP. I have a couple of JBP with fairly large scars, but they’re healing over. It will take years, but they’re covering.
hello, can you show us pics of the scars on your JBP ? In a video of Mirai, Ryan advised to make a dome with a small pointed jin at the center of the big cuts to enable a more effective & natural cicatrisation. It was on a scotts pine but it would be the same logic here

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have done the same thing as you describe on some of my JBP where I’ve made big cuts. Eventually, I’ve cut the peg off.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would love to but at this point in my life I don’t have time. If I’m taking a 3 day vacation it’s gotta include my 6 year old son and wife lol. I work construction and work at ton. So all my vacation time is family vacation. In a few years when he’s older I hopefully will. For the time being I’ll just get as many 1 day classes as I can.(I know it’s all kinda lame excuses, for some reason I just feel guilty taking the time and money for myself, my son is my world idk)
The other approach is to join his club, Bay Island Bonsai. That way you can do his workshops. They’re held on weekends, and you could do a full day, or a half day workshop. Just an idea.

Jonas, by the way, has just published a new book! I haven’t seen it yet, but knowing how good his blog is, I’m sure it’s excellent.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
On this video, Yosei-En nursery, we can see that some dead branches are cut leaving a stub on a JBP.. cut near to the trunk next time or future jin ? that is the question ^^ I hope they will keep a jin, that is sooooo more charismatic ^^
010.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The other approach is to join his club, Bay Island Bonsai. That way you can do his workshops. They’re held on weekends, and you could do a full day, or a half day workshop. Just an idea.

Jonas, by the way, has just published a new book! I haven’t seen it yet, but knowing how good his blog is, I’m sure it’s excellent.
That’s a great idea thanks, I will definitely look into it. I have Jonas’ book pre ordered already. Swear I learned more from him in 4 hours than I did from months of online research and Mirai videos. I love Mirai but personally I learn way better when I can do and be instructed on a specific task in person. Boon has taught so many amazing artists I have no doubt he is a great teacher. Thanks for all the help

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Sounds just like me. I have an 8 and a 3 to keep me busy. My bonsai time is 6-8 in the morning on weekends before they wake up. I know how you feel!

Just Rosie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Absolutely beautiful tree! I'm dying to know how much you paid, just to give me reference of what a "steal" for a baby this size is. I'm ALL about finding good deals on plants and trees!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Which pot should I get? Just signed up for another class with Jonas February 22nd.
3B711CAC-D201-4A74-AA51-E42B4426FCBF.png
182B324F-398C-4411-A248-02AAA7A1B998.png
B9C51597-3E48-432A-83E1-6FDF0E14543A.png

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you. It’s 6 gauge, the largest I have on hand, and I suck at the larger gauge. Was more concerned with trying not to knock bark off fucked yo pretty miserably. I see Peter Tea is selling wire now and he’s local so maybe I’ll see if I can get some 4 next weekend.
Maybe late but I get 8, 6, & 4 gauge annealed copper in my local Lowe's store here in Savannah, GA. They come in 25' rolls in a plastic bag

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Maybe late but I get 8, 6, & 4 gauge annealed copper in my local Lowe's store here in Savannah, GA. They come in 25' rolls in a plastic bag
I doubt it’s really annealed. What they call “annealed” is soft enough to be able to pull it thru holes in 2x4s. Not the same thing as wrapping around delicate tree branches.

Count on having to anneal it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I doubt it’s really annealed. What they call “annealed” is soft enough to be able to pull it thru holes in 2x4s. Not the same thing as wrapping around delicate tree branches.

Count on having to anneal it.
Agreed. Not trying to skimp on wire on a $400 tree haha

Top Bottom