New Mugo

Damage Inc

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I wrote all this, made the sketch, decided to mind my own bees wax, went to delete the response and then said to myself F-It why not push REPLY so here it goes...

First off I'm no expert and a complete newb but with that disclaimer done, I think it looks pretty cool the way it sits right now. The secondary branching with foliage could be repositioned a bit when the tree has settled in after your latest round of work but again it looks very interesting. 👍

Not sure if that first lower section of horizontal trunk could be split, bent to then raise/level (or "more" leveled out staying away for complete dead level) the upper trunk section. Second disclaimer is that's way more advanced work than I would take on right now with my limited skill set. Still, that might balance things out a bit. I know "compact" is a good trait but something says opening up that middle section will allow you to develop a better and more prominent apex from the upper trunk section, middle right.
IMG-20230410-WA0041.jpeg
Maybe changing the potting angle more to the right would achieve some of the balance if rotated, OR get crazy by changing planting angle way left to almost a semi-cascade. Maybe you already looked at this and the roots/nebari don't leave you much option for changing the angle.

Hey, I got lots of ideas... not all of them are good ideas though...

I said above, I really like it as it sits right now and this is me killing time at work and thinking out loud.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi,
thank you for the appreciation and the good ideas.
I know more or less how to manage a Mugo, Scott pine style but more gently, and I am mostly look for an advice about the design.
I know it's complicate without see what is inside the pot, the PO doesn't remember how many years ago was taken in the mountain and since this come almost for free ( in exchange of a computer work) I was not so picky :)
Now the Mugo is starting :

20230505_090713.jpg20230505_090718.jpg20230505_090723.jpg

I have a book on pines of a Bonsai master Abe Kurakichi that show a similar plant:

20230505_091010.jpg

In any case any tips about mugo will be very well accepted, I am feeding the plant following the approach on my other topic

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/help-for-black-pine-backbudding.57796/post-1038927

MeDupree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Love this Mugo...by no means an expert but my eye says if you're going to keep the branch extended I'd like it tilted downwards on the left but if you're going to shorten that foliage I'd like it titled downward on the right a little. Seems like it will be a very dynamic design and could be as good or better than the example given over time. Thanks for sharing both trees

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi there, any idea about how is going with this small branch, only this the other are normal green and in the center looks that the new needle are good, only weak.
No repot this year....

IMG_20230512_130355.jpg

MeDupree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi there, any idea about how is going with this small branch, only this the other are normal green and in the center looks that the new needle are good, only weak.
No repot this year....

View attachment 487821
Pluck the yellow needles and wait to see what happens with the emerging needles and any other branches. Old needles, under watering or extreme heat is what I'd rule out 1st

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
Pluck the yellow needles and wait to see what happens with the emerging needles and any other branches. Old needles, under watering or extreme heat is what I'd rule out 1st
No under watering because here is basically raining not stop since weeks, I bring the plant under a cover time to time but the substrate is 100% pumice so no problem with too much water , no overheat because the maximum temperature is 20 C degrees, I hope it's only old needle, it's the only branch ..... Will take out the needle tomorrow if they come easy.

Last edited:

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is a good mugo source from this site.

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
Finally today I made the first repot and I found a surprise.
All the plant's roots come for a single one, very challenging.
I called the tree "The Dragon", and put into a substrate with 30-30-30-10 Akadama-kiryu-pumice-Charcoal.
I didn't cut any root, just changed the substrate, because was a lot of generic soil, under 2 cm of pumice.
Is still a WIP, but the position is more or less this one, maybe I will do some more dry wood on the top, but I am still on doubt about the pot. Any suggestions ? Maybe a cascade pot.....
Now a couple of years of growing...

The concept
IMG-20240329-WA0000.jpg

WIP

433926309_923016919831718_4446662382867728095_n.jpg434073990_923016963165047_4539703368638176583_n.jpg

The result

IMG-20240329-WA0013.jpegIMG-20240329-WA0015.jpeg

More pictures soon

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
This afternoon I will cover the root with sphagnum to ensure that this part of the soil will be never 100% dry, so will continue to develop more roots.
Any idea about the future pot?

JRBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes yes yes, want an awesome piece of material! This is looking much better angled like that.
I think it's a very Ryan Neil kind of design. I really hope you don't style it to the Japanese norm and keep some of the quirkiness in it.

Good to see it's looking healthy after the repot as well!

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
This afternoon I will cover the root with sphagnum to ensure that this part of the soil will be never 100% dry, so will continue to develop more roots.
Any idea about the future pot?
I'd say a concave shell or a flat slab with the rootball making a mound (a dome) and maybe later roots visible on the mound.. Raising the tree using this mound of earth will highlight the trunk line, imo

It's a very special and wild looking tree 👍

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
Thank you so much, I was thinking also about the a flat stone, black one typical from the mountain. But I can't understand the "concave shell" my fault of course but do you have any picture ?
for example, a few shells from Jan Culek

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
for example, a few shells from Jan Culek
Woooow

Top Bottom