New Needle Juniper owner

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm in NYC, prepared for Winter. Everything I've read has told me juniper don't like wet soil and are susceptible to root rot but NYC in the Winter is very wet. Do I protect it somehow when it rains? The pot drains properly just worried, really want this to work. Can't believe it took me this long to get into plants and trees. Ordered a ginseng grafted ficus, they can remain indoors yes? My needle Juniper is outside so any tips I'll take all the advice I can get. Thank you everyone.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
the microbes that cause root rot don't grow very well at low temperatures. Most issues regarding root rot are related to higher temperatures, a lack of air and an excess of water. Take one of these three away and there's not much cause for concern. There are exceptions, but those are very rare.
I don't know a thing about ficus, but they're tropicals so they aren't likely to survive freezing.

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
the microbes that cause root rot don't grow very well at low temperatures. Most issues regarding root rot are related to higher temperatures, a lack of air and an excess of water. Take one of these three away and there's not much cause for concern. There are exceptions, but those are very rare.
I don't know a thing about ficus, but they're tropicals so they aren't likely to survive freezing.
Thank you for the reply, in the Winter roughly how much sun should it be getting? Direct sun doesn't hit my porch until 2ish but I've read in the Winter they go dormant and need very little light. There is ambient light but as far as direct sun it'd only be a few hours. As far as harsh wind (it can get very windy) is it safer to put in an open box?

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
I leave my junipers outside all year and don't have issues but I use a granular bonsai substrate with good drainage and air penetration. could always make a tin foil umbrella from the trunk covering the soil to stop rain keeping the soil to moist just make sure there is ventilation under the foil umbrella.

I keep my ficus outside when night time temps are at or above 10c then I winter them indoors, most ficus can stand temps down to around 1c in my experience but it sets them back and is not good for them.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
WGW is right, they'll be fine outside. Inside is another story. I watched a coworker's juniper die last winter. Bought as a Christmas gift, was kept indoors and had glued rocks on the surface, a too deep pot, no drainage, and potting soil. It did not last the winter as I predicted. By the time it was given to me to try to save with an emergency repot, the roots were almost all dead and smelly.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Who thinks, I'll just tell em how much I bench upfront so they ain't gotta ask? Lol!

Welcome to Crazy!

I think Junipers are one of the plants better equipped to deal with wet conditions.

Sorce

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I leave my junipers outside all year and don't have issues but I use a granular bonsai substrate with good drainage and air penetration. could always make a tin foil umbrella from the trunk covering the soil to stop rain keeping the soil to moist just make sure there is ventilation under the foil umbrella.

I keep my ficus outside when night time temps are at or above 10c then I winter them indoors, most ficus can stand temps down to around 1c in my experience but it sets them back and is not good for them.
Thank you so much. I just received this the other day, have a full spectrum UV light red/blue/mixed but plan on using that for the ginseng ficus. Should I use blue red or both mixed? On my needle Juniper I noticed one tiny (one inch) brown leaf/branch but it's on the bottom and I'm assuming it's because lack of sun buried under the rest of the plant. From what I understand it dies out first then in. This was when I first received.

Attachments

• PXL_20201203_011518521.jpg
    PXL_20201203_011518521.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 22

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The older needles lower back on the branch will die off with age this is normal the juniper looks healthy as far as I can see. I don't let my junipers get too dense as you want light and air flow to get into the tree.

I'm no expert on LED grow lights but I would use the mixed spectrum, maybe some one with more knowledge on this will chip in, I have a LED grow light that the light looks a weird purple and it works fine for my figs.

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The older needles lower back on the branch will die off with age this is normal the juniper looks healthy as far as I can see. I don't let my junipers get too dense as you want light and air flow to get into the tree.

I'm no expert on LED grow lights but I would use the mixed spectrum, maybe some one with more knowledge on this will chip in, I have a LED grow light that the light looks a weird purple and it works fine for my figs.
Since it's Winter, should I prune prior to Spring? And how much exactly? I'm brand new to this and the more I research the more I'm confused. Like a flood of info at once. I don't want to cut at the base of each individual pine of each branch yes? More of a haircut all around? And wiring I'm confused about as well.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, in the Winter roughly how much sun should it be getting? Direct sun doesn't hit my porch until 2ish but I've read in the Winter they go dormant and need very little light. There is ambient light but as far as direct sun it'd only be a few hours. As far as harsh wind (it can get very windy) is it safer to put in an open box?
I give mine full sun but there are people who keep them in sheds over winter.
Partial sunny days are fine. In spring and summer and fall, try to give it as much sun as possible; it's better for the tree and helps you keep it compact.
I don't know about your weather pattern so I'm not sure what the better option would be in regards ro wind protection. Better to be safe than sorry of course, but procumbens junipers like yours can take a pretty brutal beating.

As for pruning and styling and stuff, enjoy your tree for now. Do some laid back research, you have a wiring window until at least April or so, same goes for repotting - though it's not needed yet, you don't know for sure how long it has been in this pot so it's better to observe how it performs next year. As for pruning, I do that in summer on junipers.
All the time to watch some videos and read articles and forum threads, no worries.

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It will be OK till spring, but could probably be cleaned out a bit with no issues. The video in the link explains the cleaning process. It's not a juniper in the video but the process is the same, it is worth watching the whole series of video Ryan has made for beginners.

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I give mine full sun but there are people who keep them in sheds over winter.
Partial sunny days are fine. In spring and summer and fall, try to give it as much sun as possible; it's better for the tree and helps you keep it compact.
I don't know about your weather pattern so I'm not sure what the better option would be in regards ro wind protection. Better to be safe than sorry of course, but procumbens junipers like yours can take a pretty brutal beating.

As for pruning and styling and stuff, enjoy your tree for now. Do some laid back research, you have a wiring window until at least April or so, same goes for repotting - though it's not needed yet, you don't know for sure how long it has been in this pot so it's better to observe how it performs next year. As for pruning, I do that in summer on junipers.
All the time to watch some videos and read articles and forum threads, no worries.
Copy that, just checked I'm in zone 6b and Googled overwintering. Going to put in a styrofoam box and collect pine needles for mulch to bury it. Thank you so much for your help.

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It will be OK till spring, but could probably be cleaned out a bit with no issues. The video in the link explains the cleaning process. It's not a juniper in the video but the process is the same, it is worth watching the whole series of video Ryan has made for beginners.
You guys have helped me so much I really appreciate it. As far as watering, humidity, spraying, I shouldn't have to do anything yes?

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Don't let the soil get completely dry or stay wet the whole time. You want to water let it dry but not 100% bone dry then water again. Trees will need less watering in winter but they still need some to live.

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Don't let the soil get completely dry or stay wet the whole time. You want to water let it dry but not 100% bone dry then water again. Trees will need less watering in winter but they still need some to live.
Copy that, buying a wooden box today or styrofoam to protect it from wind. Then plan on insulating it with mulch or pine needles if I can find or compost. Is moss necessary? Not sure where to find. As far as covering the box, necessary?

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
One more question if I may. So I made a cold frame. I put it in a box, poked holes around for drainage. Then put a metal screen to raise it to ensure more drainage. Put a layer of peat moss on the bottom, then put the bonsai in a bigger pot and put pot into box. It is a little tight I'm wondering if the extra pot is necessary. I then filled the pot with pine needles covering it to the top of the pot the tree is in and put a layer of moss around. Tree and foliage isnt covered, the moss covers the soil. Then filled around the bigger pot in the box with pine needles. I know it needs circulation so is it cool how it is or should I maybe just put it in the box and apply the pines and moss? Just wondering if it's too cramped.

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Where I live my Junipers stay on the bench 365 days a year most years.

I only put them in a unheated garage if temps get down below -10c this happens maybe every 5 years and will only last for a short duration a couple of days at most.

What is your winter like in your area, as other from the same place will have better information on winter storage for your trees than me.

Top Bottom