New needles browning and breaking off?

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I noticed that some of this springs needles have browned and broken off. Really weird, any ideas what would cause this?

IMG_20190608_150616.jpg
IMG_20190608_150607.jpg

IMG_20190608_150548.jpg

I wonder if it could be physical damage? It did fall off the bench a week or 2 ago. šŸ˜«

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
At first I was going to say needlecast, but then I saw that more needles are affected in the same visual line. This makes me think someone has been running around with a blunt scissor.
In the top picture you can still see some of the dents. Maybe after clipping the wire, you hit some needles?

If it would have been birds, you'd expect to see at least two dents per needle since their beaks are concave.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You must have just watered, the growth looks like it is covered with Alien Drool from the movie Aliens. Other than that it does indeed look like physical damage.

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Haha yeah it had just finished raining. Well I guess that's a relief the general consensus is physical damage.

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will check that out. Thanks

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I wonder if it could be physical damage?
The ā€œshortenedā€ needles next to the longer brown ones look chewed. Look at the first image on the upper left of the new shoot and you can see a couple needles only partially damaged, but it looks like material has been removed. Not the typical banding color from dothistroma. Iā€™ve had the occasional wayward caterpillar/larvae chew on some needles like this.

Also the browning tips of the other needles could indicate some early fungal issues, or macro/micro element deficiency, or watering issue or nothing!

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for that insight, I figured the other needles that are broken off are just ones that have already browned and broken off, so they are already missing. But I've been wondering too what all the brown tips could be on the other needles. I've been hitting it with fungicide, but probably not as proactively and regularly as I should have been when they were developing. Hoping to see these new ones stay green throughout their life, but they sure haven't had a good start yet haha

headive24

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
another thing causing browning of needles starting at tips is called "dothistroma blight" . This pic is from google images but from the oklahoma state university website about dothistroma.

Attachments

• dothistroma blight.jpg
    dothistroma blight.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 11

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
another thing causing browning of needles starting at tips is called "dothistroma blight" . This pic is from google images but from the oklahoma state university website about dothistroma.
SO_____What is the treatment, or is there any? I do not believe the problem is a disease. If you look at each individual needle they appear to be broken. This is an easy thing to do in the early spring by brushing against the needles in the opposite direction of growth. They are crisp like and break easily.

headive24

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
SO_____What is the treatment, or is there any? I do not believe the problem is a disease. If you look at each individual needle they appear to be broken. This is an easy thing to do in the early spring by brushing against the needles in the opposite direction of growth. They are crisp like and break easily.
Yeah that doesn't sound like a disease to me either

headive24

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was focused on the needles in the foreground of your picture but now I see the damaged area in the background on the right

Top Bottom