New Nick Lenz Pot

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just wanted to share my newest pot purchase from Bonsai Classifieds on FB. It wasn't cheap, but I just had to have it. I really love the glaze -- I'm happy to have it in my collection. I'm not sure what tree is going in it yet, but I'll find something eventually. I've included a straight on photo, one of the rim details, and another in my hand for scale.

Attachments

• IMG_9676.jpg
    IMG_9676.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9683.jpg
    IMG_9683.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_9684.jpg
    IMG_9684.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 57

SimonDuval

Yamadori
Reaction score
I had my eyes on that pot as well but the price was just too much for me, congratulations.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I had my eyes on that pot as well but the price was just too much for me, congratulations.

I knew that if I wanted it then I had to pay. If Lenz was still making pots, then I would have probably held off. Since they only come up for sale every once in a while I'm willing to pay more than I would if they were otherwise available.

SimonDuval

Yamadori
Reaction score
Can't agree more with that, believe me, if I had the money, that pot would be sitting in my collection today! Nice buy!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Very nice finish on that and honest it would be one of the very few I would personally purchase. My taste lends towards natural unusual and not hand colored but that looks great! Thanks for the pictures ;)

Grimmy

Ryan820

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
So I know why it's nice looking to ME-- but may I ask, is there something in general that makes a certain bonsai pot highly desirable?

I also grow japanese orchids known as neofinetia falcata that can be pretty expensive but the Japanese traditionally will show and display them in pots that are intricately decorated or made and my GAWD they are expensive-- often exceeding the value of the plant itself.

That doesn't seem to happen AS much in bonsai. Then again, I grow sticks in a pot.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So I know why it's nice looking to ME-- but may I ask, is there something in general that makes a certain bonsai pot highly desirable?

I also grow japanese orchids known as neofinetia falcata that can be pretty expensive but the Japanese traditionally will show and display them in pots that are intricately decorated or made and my GAWD they are expensive-- often exceeding the value of the plant itself.

That doesn't seem to happen AS much in bonsai. Then again, I grow sticks in a pot.

Folks will name all kinds of factors that make pots desirable -- some that are tangible that I agree with and some that are purely personal preference. I loved this particular pot's glaze. Even more so, I admire Lenz's aesthetic and I'm trying to collect as many different examples of his work as I can. Hopefully I can pass down some of my more special pots one day.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Very lovely! Love the finished patina to the pot. Much character indeed! Plans for a tree in it or one just to admire?

I plan to put something in it one day, but I don't have anything that quite fits the bill. Something flowering would be really nice, and so would a nice cascading tropical like a ficus.

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice Pot! It will look awesome with a cascading bougainvillaea.

Eric

Last edited:

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice Pot! It will look awesome with a cascading bougainvillaea.

Eric

You're absolutely right! Maybe I need to visit Meehan's sometime soon...like Saturday...

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice pot. I think another good choice would be cotoneaster. The flowers and the berries would look good with the pot.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice pot. I think another good choice would be cotoneaster. The flowers and the berries would look good with the pot.

That true, except I'm one of those people with absolutely no outdoor space so I have to rely on my grow tent. Wish I could keep trees that need a dormant period. Hoping for some outdoor space soon.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice pot...needs a cascading Chojubai from Don...

Top Bottom