New Oak, dug out of my growing field

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think it is excellent material. What species?

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Super awesome material. Primary branching is nicely and proportionally developed. You probably just need to finish ramification and branching and its good to go.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great job! You must have alot patience. I don't know if I would have lasted half that long.

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Nice start. It could be the angle, but in the second pic it looks like second branch on the right originates in the back and crosses over the main trunk in the front.
If that is case it'll need attention sooner than later in my view.

Keep us updated on this progression.

Good luck.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
First picture..front branch needs to go coming out toward you. That is if it's the front which I assume is thw one you have chosen

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A lot of root reduction ahead to get that in a low pot. Beautiful tree though
CW

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jaco,

I read that the root to branch attachment in an oak is very direct.
If you damage a root, the branch that has the tube linked to it will die.
Pleasant looking tree.
Thanks for showing.
Good Day
Anthony

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Would like to know to plz. Very nice starter. I read on different forums that Oak isn't much liked as bonsai material. If true, I would really like know why?
I have no idea why, they are one of my favorite deciduous trees for bonsai.

Aaron

Jacos

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Its potted up and needs a bit of branch selection/pruning.
I took a big growing pot and did not do more root pruning.
I will post some pictures later on, its raining like hell for the moment.

Dalmat

Shohin
Reaction score
Would like to know to plz. Very nice starter. I read on different forums that Oak isn't much liked as bonsai material. If true, I would really like know why?
It is kind a yamadori stuff,problems with establishing it in a pot cause of long tap root and there is a soil like debate of
how to dig it up properly. And they are prone for fungal diseases like a grape wine. But nothing that can not be solved with proper treatment. This is as people talk here and Quercus ruber is common in northern part of my country.
At my part we have evergreen Quercus ilex and we have no such problems.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Really nice material. with a little time this could be trained into a very good example of an ancient Oak. there are quite a few fine examples of Quercus rober floating about. ive read that spraying twice a year with fungicide will keep fungal problems at bay, a winter wash with lime sulphur and water also helps, theres also the small problem of gall wasps defacing the leaves, you can just pull those leaves of if it bothers you. there isnt a single insect pest that doesnt love Oak, one of the reasons they get a bad rap. long internodes, course growth habit and largish leaves can also be an issue but leaves will reduce on some, did i mention slow growing!
I have a couple in my allotment growing bed, but im always on the look out for something special...like this one!

Thanks for sharing:)

ps do you have any images of when you first planted it in the bed?

Last edited:

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have seen models that did not have such lovely bone-structure;
beautiful work.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like the Oak. How would you work the roots in the future? I like the small roots coming off the large ones near the base. Would you let those grow more before some root reduction?

Jacos

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello everyone.

Thanks for your advice and nice comments.

Like i told you all earlier it was in my growing field for 8 years.
Before that it was in a bonsai pot nothing more than an advanced seedling. (see photo below)
Around that time i had some health issues and i had to transplant all my bonsai into my vegetable garden.
...Waiting there for better times... The only thing i deed in the meanwhile was pruning the canopes with hedge siccors (2x/year)and cutting the roots with the spade(1x/year)

Better times have come finally... and now this spring, I am going to pot up most of these old ex-bonsai trees.
This Oak is one of the examples an other example you can find here : http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/good-size-field-grown-viburnum.22036/#post-328606

This year most of the dig up trees will be going in large pots or training crates.
Later on, as form next season 2017, I will try more drastic root pruning and nice smaller real bonsai pots.

quercus mini 2007.jpg
YES this and above tree are one and the same only 8 years later.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Makes me want to keep some of the Oak seedlings that I've been pulling out of my vegetable garden.

Top Bottom