New Old Guy

eminart

Seed
Reaction score
I got into bonsai 15+ years ago, but haven't been active in a long time. I was, apparently, a member here (guessed my login info on the second attempt, yay!) and some other forums that may or may not still exist. Anyway, all my trees were lost to various moves, and life changes. Most of what I had was still planted in the ground.

Enough rambling, I've started getting back into it. I'm no expert, but I have a lot of books, and several years' experience with trying. I got a couple of ficus microcarpa for Xmas. They're obviously mass produced, but they're from Wigert's, and, I think, decent stock.

I guess the main point of this thread is I'm wondering how elaborate a setup I'd need to grow larger trunks indoors. I'm in Alabama, so we have a pretty long outdoor growing season. But, it would be nice to continue growth during the winter.

Also, I have Jerry Meislik's first ficus book. Is the newer one a must-have?

Attachments

• 20220101_142430.jpg
    20220101_142430.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 58

eminart

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Wigert's was definitely great to work with, and I'm very happy with the two trees I got from them.

I'll definitely get the new ficus book. I'm something of a book hoarder. I got a signed copy (I think they're all signed?) of his first book when it was new. I discussed ficus with him a little back in the day via messages. I'll have to get the first book out and read back through it. I've forgotten a lot of the little I used to know.

Anyway, just excited to be back in the hobby. We moved last year so now I have 2.5 acres with a few trees I've already picked out for collecting, and plenty of room for the small greenhouse I've always wanted. I'd like to grow some greens for my tortoises in addition to trees, but that's another story.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I reckon I seen Tortoises eat Ficus Benjamin.

Welcome to Crazy!

Eff yeah the second try at the password! That's pretty gangster, though Google would probably chastise you for having a shitty password!🤣

I always think of @Brian Van Fleet (nice new avatar BTW, you are way more handsome than that Mandarin speaking loser!) Ficus in the guest bathtub over winter in Bam.

No effort and no loss of options it always seemed.

Sorce

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You could set up as elaborate of a system as you want. I just bring mine inside and leave it by a window for the winter when temps are below 40. I only have 1 ficus (nerifolia) that I inherited, and don’t really want indoor trees, so it’s enough for me to just keep it alive over the winter. It’s been mostly outside, but coming in tonight as the temps are forecast to drop into the 20s.

I did keep it in a bathtub under a window at the last house. It was easy to water and clean up leaves. Now, I just set it inside the basement door. It’s a hassle. If you can grow trees outside, you’ll have better success with a variety of easy temperate trees that can live outside all year, instead of trying to nurse a tropical through the winter inside. Shimpaku, elm, trident maple all do well outside in our state. Roll Tide.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
But, it would be nice to continue growth during the winter.
Welcome back!

Generally speaking, even tropicals take a break during the winter months. So though you might be able to enjoy them in a protected greenhouse-like setting, I don't think you'll get much growth. We had ficus in our landscape in SoCal, and winter was the time that they would pause growth and drop old leaves. Since I moved to NC, I've been pulling my ficus indoors any time I think we will get below 30. They've been doing fine... but not growing during the winter.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did something different this year. I brought all my ficus in in late September when temps started to dip below 50F. Prior to this I used 40F as a signal. My ficus have been pretty actively growing this winter under lights. And my willow leaf did not drop their leaves like they have other winters. I posted a picture of a group of them a couple weeks ago.

OTown

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Sound like we have a lot in common. I also started my practice 20 years ago but moved from Oakland CA to Florida. I also dropped out of bonsai for 15+ years.

Feels good to get back on the bike!

Top Bottom