New Olea europaea

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Ordered this big guy online, excited for it to arrive!

I've had a good read of many of the olive threads on here, but any extra tips/wisdom from those experienced with them (particularly in the UK) would be greatly appreciated 😊

Attachments

• 20200802_134904.jpg
    20200802_134904.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 89
  • 20200802_134953.jpg
    20200802_134953.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 20200802_134934.jpg
    20200802_134934.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 78

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You really have become a bonsai nut!👍🌳🥜

Good stuff!

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You definitely need someone from your climate to chime in. Many of us in California have olives, but taking olive advice from us would be like taking olive advice from Greece or Italy. Stuff that works here may not apply well to the UK.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
You definitely need someone from your climate to chime in. Many of us in California have olives, but taking olive advice from us would be like taking olive advice from Greece or Italy. Stuff that works here may not apply well to the UK.

Oh definitely you're absolutely right. I'd seen threads by @ConorDash and @BobbyLane who seem to have done well with theirs in the UK

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Main thing is to ensure the roots do not drown and do not let them freeze fully, not wet.

Sun.. As much as you have.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
You’ve probably already seen this, but it’s written by someone in England ...

Yeah had seen this, but thanks for sharing!

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yeah, what John P shared is very good.. In winter, make sure that if the temps are going to get low, like minus or 1, 2, 3, then the substrate the Olive is in, is not wet.. try to control how wet it is.
As the blog link says, a wet substrate in 1,2,3 feels like -2,-3,-4 to the Olive, which it will not appreciate.

They start growing, slightly varying with the weather that year, around Early to mid June for us.. and stop end of August. Its been recommended to me before to buy a heat pad to the put the tree on, giving it heat for longer and extending the grow season, but Its not something I've tried. Yeah full sun of course.. needs heat, not just sun.
I had mine in 100% molar clay/cat litter, for 3 years. It did really well. I've changed to mostly Pumice now, with some molar. According to Online, it should be a better mix for it, Pumice is better for Mediterranean species, allowing them to dry out for longer, but will see how it goes! Your Olive looks to be in a very organic substrate, which is total opposite of mine, so I am interested to see how it goes.
Prune the leaves pointing down, a new branch will grow there when you prune it back, which you mostly don't want.

I got great growth and thickness from mine, but only after allowing it to grow wild for 2-3 years. You might not need to that that, depending on what the branches are like.

There is a pest that I see on them regularly, doesn't do much harm, forgotten its name... They curl over the leaves in to each other, with a web and have a small larvae or caterpillar inside.. I think its called a wasp of some sort, dunno. Not a big deal, might see a few, I just unravel the leaf with my fingers, remove the web and whatever insect inside. That's the end of that..

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Yeah, what John P shared is very good.. In winter, make sure that if the temps are going to get low, like minus or 1, 2, 3, then the substrate the Olive is in, is not wet.. try to control how wet it is.
As the blog link says, a wet substrate in 1,2,3 feels like -2,-3,-4 to the Olive, which it will not appreciate.

They start growing, slightly varying with the weather that year, around Early to mid June for us.. and stop end of August. Its been recommended to me before to buy a heat pad to the put the tree on, giving it heat for longer and extending the grow season, but Its not something I've tried. Yeah full sun of course.. needs heat, not just sun.
I had mine in 100% molar clay/cat litter, for 3 years. It did really well. I've changed to mostly Pumice now, with some molar. According to Online, it should be a better mix for it, Pumice is better for Mediterranean species, allowing them to dry out for longer, but will see how it goes! Your Olive looks to be in a very organic substrate, which is total opposite of mine, so I am interested to see how it goes.
Prune the leaves pointing down, a new branch will grow there when you prune it back, which you mostly don't want.

I got great growth and thickness from mine, but only after allowing it to grow wild for 2-3 years. You might not need to that that, depending on what the branches are like.

There is a pest that I see on them regularly, doesn't do much harm, forgotten its name... They curl over the leaves in to each other, with a web and have a small larvae or caterpillar inside.. I think its called a wasp of some sort, dunno. Not a big deal, might see a few, I just unravel the leaf with my fingers, remove the web and whatever insect inside. That's the end of that..

Great info there, thanks so much 👍 👍 Good to see that yours has done well

I'll see how the substrate it's in goes, hopefully it'll be fine in it for now. Interesting you said about them needing heat, not just sun - was thinking about putting it next to the house. It'd get plenty of sun there and that wall gets very hot in summer - my other plants would be fried there! Would that work?

Will keep and eye out for that pest, had a few caterpillars recently so having to check them all regularly!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
was thinking about putting it next to the house. It'd get plenty of sun there and that wall gets very hot in summer - my other plants would be fried there! Would that work?
That is exactly where I keep them. Against a south facing wall in as full sun as I get

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Didn't ever update - didn't actually get this this tree. Was out of stock but hadn't updated on website.

Anyway - I've ordered this one (sylvestris), a lot smaller (25cm including pot gives a rough idea) but a nice shape and the subspecies is good for bonsai I've read 😊

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210502-152914_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210502-152914_Chrome.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20210502-152920_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210502-152920_Chrome.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 43

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Arrived yesterday in great nick, despite being clearly lobbed over the back gate by delivery person 🙄 It's been enjoying the absolute downpour of rain this morning (luckily seems to be in well draining soil!) I'll keep an eye on it though, I know they don't like to be wet.

I like it a lot! Not sure about that bulge on the side of the trunk, but I think it's a decent starter. Eyeing up a few branches to remove at some point - ones where several from one place. Think I remember reading they're not fussy about timing of pruning?

Also, summer repotting for olives I believe? May go ahead with that this summer, see what's going on root wise.

Any thoughts @leatherback @ConorDash ? Conor how is yours doing? Just seen your update from October last year, great little gnarly stump!

Edit - @Cadillactaste hope you don't mind me adding you to the tags? I know you've got a beasty olive too!

Attachments

• 20210508_104305.jpg
    20210508_104305.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210508_104326.jpg
    20210508_104326.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210508_104457.jpg
    20210508_104457.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210508_104518.jpg
    20210508_104518.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210508_104543.jpg
    20210508_104543.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 40

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Ordered this big guy online, excited for it to arrive!

I've had a good read of many of the olive threads on here, but any extra tips/wisdom from those experienced with them (particularly in the UK) would be greatly appreciated 😊
All the sun possible and repot to a very free draining soil as soon as you can

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
All the sun possible and repot to a very free draining soil as soon as you can
Cheers for this! South facing garden and currently on table which gets full sun vast majority of day (but also rain - will move if needed!) Close ish to the house wall which gets very hot in summer which I think it'll like. If needed can move closer to the wall too to add more warmth, and shelter from excessive rain.

I'm sure I read they don't like to be repotted, and only do if absolutely necessary? I guess that'll depend on how it goes with the soil it's in...Water does seem to drain quickly, but yes I'm not sure it's free draining enough.

Top Bottom