New Olive bonsai forest/group

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hello all,
I got these olives earlier this year and just decided to pot them today. The trunks are well
developed but branches need the work now I like how it turned out, what's your thoughts?
I need to move the first tree on left a bit more...

Rishi.P1000178.jpgP1000180.jpgP1000174.jpgP1000181.jpgP1000177.jpg

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't know anything about olive so I'm no help but they do look like they have nice bases. I don't want to change your topic but do you have a thread on that cascade in the background?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the grouping, these are nice bases and the nebari on all are going to be good.

I would suggest a little more un-equal spacing. This looks too regular to me, too much a perfect triangle. Unfortunately, I think you may have to do it soon, or the roots will form a solid mass of intertwined roots, and will be harder to do.

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello all,
I got these olives earlier this year and just decided to pot them today. The trunks are well
developed but branches need the work now I like how it turned out, what's your thoughts?
I need to move the first tree on left a bit more...

Rishi.View attachment 28351View attachment 28352View attachment 28350View attachment 28353View attachment 28354

I would love to have an olive forest, it should be fun. I agree with your idea of moving at least one tree. As planted they appear to be equally distance from one another. I prefer some thing more asymmetrical. Also, I would suggest moving them forward a tad, the back one is pretty close to the edge of the pot compared to other sides. These trees should grow some branches quickly, a year from now, this will be much more fully developed, keep us posted.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Nice, I agree with Judy about the spacing though.Not sure where you live but we grow a lot of olives in southern California and do this kind of work in summer not going into winter. Hope you can keep the trees protected over the winter. If you can give them bottom heat it'll speed up the recovery greatly this time of year.

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Thanks for all your advise on the positioning of the trees, I have rearanged them
the best I could in this pot. The base on them are very wide and trying to fit without a perfect
triangle was a little tricky but think its much better now.
It will be protected from the winter cold together with my azaleas and tridents...
Am in Santa Ana area...

Thanks again,
Rishi

Attachments

• P1000187.jpg
    P1000187.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 71
  • P1000186.jpg
    P1000186.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 65
  • P1000185.jpg
    P1000185.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 66
  • P1000184.jpg
    P1000184.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I would love to have an olive forest, it should be fun. I agree with your idea of moving at least one tree. As planted they appear to be equally distance from one another. I prefer some thing more asymmetrical. Also, I would suggest moving them forward a tad, the back one is pretty close to the edge of the pot compared to other sides. These trees should grow some branches quickly, a year from now, this will be much more fully developed, keep us posted.

Hello Barry,
Thanks for you're view, I have changed the position a bit.
Will check back the nursery am sure they have if you want a couple for a group planting...
Rishi.

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Nice, I agree with Judy about the spacing though.Not sure where you live but we grow a lot of olives in southern California and do this kind of work in summer not going into winter. Hope you can keep the trees protected over the winter. If you can give them bottom heat it'll speed up the recovery greatly this time of year.

Thanks Bob, I will look for a heating pad am in OC area.
It should be ok, it will be with my azaleas and tridents protected from wide chill...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is better! Can the back tree be slanted a bit, perhaps to the right? The other trees already have that feel to them, and the back tree is so straight, it might help that aspect too.

You should go and update your profile, so people will know where you live, and be able to answer your questions appropriately.

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
This is better! Can the back tree be slanted a bit, perhaps to the right? The other trees already have that feel to them, and the back tree is so straight, it might help that aspect too.

You should go and update your profile, so people will know where you live, and be able to answer your questions appropriately.

Hi Judy,
That back tree has a very flat base and I did try giving a little angle but the roots would poke
up at one end or the other. I will replace that one this week if I get of work early, am sure I can find another with movement in the trunk. Cant remember why I went with this tree except for a good size nebari?
Thanks again Judy for your help,
Rishi.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm not getting that tree on the right. Usually in a clump, the apexes lean out, away from the center. These trees are all competing for the light, and thus they would tend to grow out, away from each other to catch the light. That right tree, appears to bend in towards the middle.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ris, I really like the finished picture in the first post with the flat rocks on the surface. It reminded me of an olive garden. Its good looking material, I just think your first instinct was the best but to each his own.

ed

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Ris, I really like the finished picture in the first post with the flat rocks on the surface. It reminded me of an olive garden. Its good looking material, I just think your first instinct was the best but to each his own.

ed

Hello Ed,
I didn't put the rocks back because I may change that back tree the straight one.
I will place the rocks after I get a new olive sometime this week...
Its hard finding olive with a nice base like these, I have seen olives but looks very young
and more like wips no base at all. The trees with good base is well over $400 which I saw
but find that the apex was to tall for its base. Will post when I find another replacement soon...

Rishi.

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you're looking for a heating pad, most hardware stores with a nursery will have them. One about the size of your pot should be eight or ten dollars.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I really like the first pics where the trunks are closer. Sorry I was unable to post sooner. Several places around town I see olives growing just like this. They have multiple trunks forming a shape just like this I will try to post some pictures .

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Those are nice olives with some potential, but....
They just aren't working for me as a group planting. To my eye a good group planting requires a good variation in heights,caliper, and spacing of the trees. You just can't do that with these trees alone. What you get is not a forest but an orchard. The flat rocks only add to this orchard impression. I'd lose them.
I suggest you look for several smaller trees to add to the composition. They would greatly improve it.
Just trying to help.
Paul

Top Bottom